The .198 Hinske overshift, Ozzie's brilliance at work

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
Yep, and I was disgusted before Contreras threw a single pitch in the 8th inning.

Indeed, I started this thread long before the 8th inning even started. It's just the 8th inning sent tonight's game from an epic in terms of how bad a job he did to an all timer in the history of sports in terms of how bad a job he did.

Yep, and I was disgusted before Contreras threw a single pitch in the 8th inning.

As was I, and I'm sure everyone else. And like was said earlier, Ozzie most likely would have taken him out of the game if it had been Buerhle or Garland.

Considering that we are trying to trade Contreras, what was the f***ing reason we let him go out in the 8th to get roasted for 5 more runs. You dont allow a trading chip, to get bent over and taken for 10 large because you want to save your bullpen. The season is over. I dont care what Paul Konerko says, or Ozzie or whatever. This team is not playing 750 ball for the rest of the season to win the division or wild card. You can say what you want and show the poker face. But you dont let your trading chips s*** themselves. If we dont trade him by the trading deadline, then DL his ass and get a MRI. Because the sidearm thing, and the loss of velocity thing is too telling. 7 innings, and 5 runs looks better than 7 1/3 and 10 large.

That was some of the worst managing I've ever seen. And to leave Jose out there to get shelled in the 8th (when you're trying to convince other teams he still has something in the tank and is worth trading for) is is beyond me. It seemed like EVERYONE BUT OZZIE knew what was going on tonight.

Edited by BaseballNick

Here's my best shot at defending this...

The shift made sense initially because Hinske really doesn't go the other way -- look at his hit chart on MLB.com, at Fenway he doesn't hit anything down the third base line. When he tried to bunt it down that way...maybe Ozzie was thinking Hinske was just trying to scare him into going back to a normal defense. But here's the thing: the man is a .198 hitter, just humor him. He's more likely to bunt for a hit like he did than actually get a hit.

So my defense is, it made sense before the failed bunt.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
Look at Hinske's Fenway hitting chart for GB and Singles. On the season he has hit one ground ball and one single to the left side. It wasn't dumb, it just didn't work this time.

Look at the location of the one single...think back to last night now...do you have it yet?

That's his bunt single.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 08:04 AM)
Look at Hinske's Fenway hitting chart for GB and Singles. On the season he has hit one ground ball and one single to the left side. It wasn't dumb, it just didn't work this time.

That's fine, but WHY did they keep the shift on after Hinske gave his hand away and bunted the first pitch foul. Hinske is awful, and that was a spot where they needed a baserunner to help roll the lineup over in good shape. To not shift the defense back to a conventional format after the first pitch failed bunt is mind numbingly stupid. And then of course there was the 8th inning....

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
It will be defended by some of the heirarchy around here, so I doubt it's locked. They'll come in and say Ozzie brought us a ring, I wouldn't be complaining if Hinske had bunted into a double play, etc.

Tell Art Bell I said "hi'"

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
That's fine, but WHY did they keep the shift on after Hinske gave his hand away and bunted the first pitch foul. Hinske is awful, and that was a spot where they needed a baserunner to help roll the lineup over in good shape. To not shift the defense back to a conventional format after the first pitch failed bunt is mind numbingly stupid. And then of course there was the 8th inning....

Maybe I can defend this a little more...

Eric Hinske isn't known as a great bunter. The bunt he put down was perfect...how many times out of 10 do you think he executes like he did?

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)

Eric Hinske isn't known as a great bunter. The bunt he put down was perfect...how many times out of 10 do you think he executes like he did?

Eric Hinske is also a terrible batter. Why even bother with the shift to begin with?

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 08:06 PM)
Because we have a game thread for this and with the site problems, I doubt the site needs a thread as useless as this one. We all know it was a huge f*ck up.

If the site is going to go down because of an additional thread, it probably needs to be fixed which hopefully would be fast because I love the arguments on this site.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)

Great bunt? It rolled into the outfield. That's like having a penalty kick in soccer with no goalie.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
Great bunt? It rolled into the outfield. That's like having a penalty kick in soccer with no goalie.

Obviously I meant perfect for the situation...the definition of a perfect bunt changes when the shift is on, like how the perfect hit for a hit-and-run is a ground ball that would usually be a routine out by the second baseman.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Aww an obsure UFO reference is all you got? I thought you'd actually defend this move. I'm disappointed.

Of course you are, you live to argue about everything and then cry about the whole world being against you...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
Of course you are, you live to argue about everything and then cry about the whole world being against you...

And you fail to defend him with any logic, per usual.

Last night was a f***ing embarrasment between the shift and leaving Contreras out there Pedro style, the end.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
I just have to add this.

What the hell has Owens done to "earn a spot"? Have I not been watching? Has the talent level sunk that low?

Compared to the other players coming up from the minors, he's been unbelievable, so the bar has been set somewhat low.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jul 21, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
And you fail to defend him with any logic, per usual.

Last night was a f***ing embarrasment between the shift and leaving Contreras out there Pedro style, the end.

What logic is there to leaving the left side of the infield open to a guy hitting under 200? Give me a f***ing break. By the time we were down 5 or 6 runs, its not like A.) the Sox offense was going to come back, or B.) the bullpen could have held up even if we scored 8 runs to get the lead again. In other words it didn't matter if Jesus Christ himself came out of the Sox pen last night, he still would have walked the bases loaded last night, and then gave up a grand slam.

Finally, Its one thing to start a thread about a bad call in a game, and it is quite another to be begging someone to argue with you. Its even worse to already be claiming to be the victim when you start a new thread. The whole "poor me" routine is so old, it isn't even funny.