Classic video game memories

Mr. Showtime

I know we have the catch all thread, but I figured this could attract folks who don't play current games.

Anyone wanna share some memories of games they played out? Or how about games that pissed them off but they kept trying to play it anyway?

I'll start....

I don't have much patience so I never had a lot of the latter, but back in the day Blades of Steel was the **** on my NES. If I wasn't playing that I was playing some Jordan vs Bird and failing at the dunks, Tecmo Bowl.

Almost forgot, SUPER PUNCH OUT~!!~!!!! Who didn't love that game?

Raise that hand nice and high so we can all point and laugh... :lol:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zombies Ate My Neighbors was an awesome game -- did anybody ever beat it all the way through without using a cheat?

The old NHL games were the s***, too. Fighting was amazing. I was always either the Penguins or the Hawks -- the Jagr/Lemieux combo was just too good to pass up.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
I know we have the catch all thread, but I figured this could attract folks who don't play current games.

Anyone wanna share some memories of games they played out? Or how about games that pissed them off but they kept trying to play it anyway?

I'll start....

I don't have much patience so I never had a lot of the latter, but back in the day Blades of Steel was the **** on my NES. If I wasn't playing that I was playing some Jordan vs Bird and failing at the dunks, Tecmo Bowl.

Almost forgot, SUPER PUNCH OUT~!!~!!!! Who didn't love that game?

Raise that hand nice and high so we can all point and laugh... :lol:

Super punch out was fantastic. Ken Griffey Jr. baseball for Super Nintendo might be the best game ever.

What about Shaqfu? ;)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
The old NHL games were the s***, too. Fighting was amazing. I was always either the Penguins or the Hawks -- the Jagr/Lemieux combo was just too good to pass up.

Honestly, even if you don't like Hockey, the video games kick ass no matter what. I've always loved Hockey and Soccer video games.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
Super punch out was fantastic. Ken Griffey Jr. baseball for Super Nintendo might be the best game ever.

What about Shaqfu? ;)

I know this was in a game, and I think it was that version of Griffey, but you could run the outfielder into the wall and you'd hear this thud and the guy would go down. It was like the Pods in Oakland play from this year but only funnier.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)
I know this was in a game, and I think it was that version of Griffey, but you could run the outfielder into the wall and you'd hear this thud and the guy would go down. It was like the Pods in Oakland play from this year but only funnier.

Yup, that was definitely from that game. Oh man, I'd love to play that game right now.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:47 PM)
Honestly, even if you don't like Hockey, the video games kick ass no matter what. I've always loved Hockey and Soccer video games.

I know when my friend and I would play soccer games on N64 we'd slide tackle guys all game long and win 2-1.

Another one that just came to mind was NBA Jam. The arcade was good, but the I wanna say Sega/Super Nintendo version was awesome as well.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
NES Punch Out. I remember never getting past Soda Popinski on the console and getting so pissed off. On an emulator, I beat the damn game.

I could imagine you cutting a promo after the loss, but mixing in political comments for the time. :P

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
Ken Griffey for SNES remains the greatest sports game ever. Too awesome. U. Josh owned all.

Ice Hockey for NES gives it a run for its money though.

Was U. Josh, Frank? I loved how teams had different themes for their players names. Good times indeed.

NHL 94 baby. The wrap around move with Jeremy Roenick combined with Eddie the Eagle between the pipes= I was unbeatable. Castlevania was also money (especially 1 and 3 for NES), Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 for SNES (3 SUCKED though), and in terms of at the arcade, I was unstoppable on any form of Tekken (King FTW!!), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, NBA Jam, and The Simpsons. And amen on hockey and soccer video games Rowand, as well as Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for Super NES. And of course, any Super Mario Bros. for NES and/or SNES.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 05:56 AM)
NHL 94 baby. The wrap around move with Jeremy Roenick combined with Eddie the Eagle between the pipes= I was unbeatable.

Every game ended in something like a 18-15 score, but yeah, that game was awesome. Nothing beat the cheap rap around goals in that game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
Anyone ever make it to the final level of Super Mario 3? I went back and played it last year, and the last level is so intense.

Yeah!

--

So I recently fell in love again. I love shooters. Old school shooters. Contra-types. And now they're making Contra IV for the DS? Mmhmm

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:59 PM)
I have no idea why, but I always loved when the game was over, seeing the newspaper come up with some lame headline... :lol:

Lol, ya. How about the homerun trots when they were getting near homeplate? Haha, I definitely need to find my super nintendo when I go back home.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
Every game ended in something like a 18-15 score, but yeah, that game was awesome. Nothing beat the cheap rap around goals in that game.

Belfour was so awesome on that game, he could hold a team to 5 or 6 even if they did wrap arounds all game. I'd usually win about 10-5, just about unbeatable with the Hawks. I loved getting penalties too, Bernie Nicholls and his incredibly slow speed always caught the opponent off guard with the change of pace, it was like the hockey version of pitching Joel Zumaya and Jamie Moyer back to back.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 04:56 AM)
The Simpsons.

Great f***ing game. I LOVED the part where you got a bucket of tomatoes and would throw them at people walking by the school. I know there were a bunch of Simpsons games, but that particular game was awesome -- IIRC, it was sort of a collection of mini-games.

I've still got World Series Baseball '96 for Sega Genesis at my Dad's house, what a great game. That middle of the order with Thomas, Ventura, Tartabull, and Baines CAN NOT BE STOPPED. And of course, with Officer Karkovice behind the plate, nobody is stealing bases. Also, Manny Ramirez is on the cover of that game. DAMN he's been good for a long time.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 25, 2007 -> 11:56 PM)
NHL 94 baby. The wrap around move with Jeremy Roenick combined with Eddie the Eagle between the pipes= I was unbeatable. Castlevania was also money (especially 1 and 3 for NES), Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 for SNES (3 SUCKED though), and in terms of at the arcade, I was unstoppable on any form of Tekken (King FTW!!), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, NBA Jam, and The Simpsons. And amen on hockey and soccer video games Rowand, as well as Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for Super NES. And of course, any Super Mario Bros. for NES and/or SNES.

Anyone who uses the wraparound in 94 is a cheap son of a b****. It's a complete glitch...that game was on NHL 06 (for PS2 at least) and we played it a ton...if you don't allow that cheap bulls*** the games are actually fun and intense instead of a retard-fest.

BTW, I'll beat you at that game anywhere, anytime.