Classic video game memories

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
Just what is that? It's certainly not the Konami code.

754px-Konami-code.svg.png

hmmmm, I remember select start at the end of that code for sure. I think your image is cut off or wrong.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Select start was console for sure, but it was for a 2 player game.

The reason you pressed select was because ithe code was for Contra and that was a 2 player game and it gave you 30 lives. So if you were playing with a friend, select would have been a 2 player game.

In a single player game select would not be needed.

Hence why people who played most games with their friends would say it was "select start".

Edited by Soxbadger

I have newfound respect for Nintendo games after I browsed through several last week. Jesus, several of the Mega Man and Castlevania games are damn near impossible. The original Super Mario Brothers' levels are difficult past World 6 as well.

For Nintendo, my favorite games were: Battletoads, Metal Gear, N.A.R.C., Metroid, Mario Brothers 3, Legend of Zelda, Paperboy

Sega Genesis: Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage 2, Slaughterhouse, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Ecco the Dolphin (that's right, punks), Zero Tolerance

Super Nintendo: Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2, Super Double Dragon, Joe and Mac, Donkey Kong Country (entire series), Super Mario RPG, Super Punch OUt, and probably others I can't remember.

Damn, now I feel nostaligic. Anyone have the link to the website posted earlier in the year on Soxtalk where Emulators/Roms were available? It wasn't your typical site either, as everything was already provided. Wish I could find it...

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 07:22 PM)
Me and a buddy used to play a baseball game for NES that was robots. Mecha-baseball or something, it was a blast. Players exploded when they were thrown out, pitchers and batters had special power-up swings and pitches. It was a really fun game for 12 year old Kyle

hey man, we are talkin bout the same game. It was so sweet!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 03:07 AM)
I have newfound respect for Nintendo games after I browsed through several last week. Jesus, several of the Mega Man and Castlevania games are damn near impossible. The original Super Mario Brothers' levels are difficult past World 6 as well.

For Nintendo, my favorite games were: Battletoads, Metal Gear, N.A.R.C., Metroid, Mario Brothers 3, Legend of Zelda, Paperboy

Sega Genesis: Altered Beast, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage 2, Slaughterhouse, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Ecco the Dolphin (that's right, punks), Zero Tolerance

Super Nintendo: Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2, Super Double Dragon, Joe and Mac, Donkey Kong Country (entire series), Super Mario RPG, Super Punch OUt, and probably others I can't remember.

Damn, now I feel nostaligic. Anyone have the link to the website posted earlier in the year on Soxtalk where Emulators/Roms were available? It wasn't your typical site either, as everything was already provided. Wish I could find it...

everyvideogame.com ?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 02:07 AM)
Sega Genesis: Golden Axe, Streets of Rage 2

These two are classics -- in fact, XBox 360 just added Golden Axe to its marketplace. I was always the skater kid in Streets of Rage. Is there a better boss than the fat boy who emerges from the pitching mound in that stadium?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 03:50 AM)
WarCraft III disagrees.

My favorites for the PC were definitely the Diablo series, an early version of Warcraft ("yes me lord") and Splatterball, a multiplayer only game that AOL offered. The graphics were very bad but the game was the s***. Great community, weekly ladder matches, holiday tournaments -- they had it all.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
Anyone ever play any of the Mutant League games? Loved those.

haha, i had both football and hockey.

You could bribe the refs in football. I remember my dad cracking up everytime the center farted too.

Man, there's an awful lot of them, I've played far too many video games in my time (some were mentioned already):

NES- Contra first and foremost, Jackal, Gunsmoke, Bubble Bobble, Blades of Steel, GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the arcade one). There was another game with motorcycles and crazy side-cars with souped-up guns, can't remember the name. Also, I got hooked on Bomberman on my roommate's emulator.

Super Nintendo- Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country (man, that was addictive), NBA Jam. Also, it wasn't quite my favorite, but does anyone remember NCAA Basketball? It was super-cheap, you could run around using your teammates for picks constantly and get easy dunks. Plus there was some guy on UNC that never missed from the arc (fake players).

Playstation- The big one was Twisted Metal 2 for me, that game was awesome. Blowing up the Eiffel Tower rarely got old, and beating that last boss was such a pain in the ass, think I only pulled it off once. I played Battle Arena Toshinden and Tekken 2 an awful lot too. Another one I liked a lot was this fighting game with dinosaurs, think it was called Primal Rage or something like that. I always took the farting baboon, I could do some damage with that guy.

Playstation 2- Don't really count as classics, but a couple that don't get as much hype as the should: Twisted Metal Black and The Mark of Kri. The stories were so much better on TMB than they were in the past, and though it took a while to get used to the game speed it was ridiculously fun. The latter never sold as well as I thought it should have. It's a fun action-slasher with some stealth mixed in and some really cool art. My only gripe was that is was too short (I could beat it in one extended sitting now), and it's now out of print.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 12:56 AM)
Man, there's an awful lot of them, I've played far too many video games in my time (some were mentioned already):

NES- Contra first and foremost, Jackal, Gunsmoke, Bubble Bobble, Blades of Steel, GI Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the arcade one). There was another game with motorcycles and crazy side-cars with souped-up guns, can't remember the name. Also, I got hooked on Bomberman on my roommate's emulator.

Super Nintendo- Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country (man, that was addictive), NBA Jam. Also, it wasn't quite my favorite, but does anyone remember NCAA Basketball? It was super-cheap, you could run around using your teammates for picks constantly and get easy dunks. Plus there was some guy on UNC that never missed from the arc (fake players).

Playstation- The big one was Twisted Metal 2 for me, that game was awesome. Blowing up the Eiffel Tower rarely got old, and beating that last boss was such a pain in the ass, think I only pulled it off once. I played Battle Arena Toshinden and Tekken 2 an awful lot too. Another one I liked a lot was this fighting game with dinosaurs, think it was called Primal Rage or something like that. I always took the farting baboon, I could do some damage with that guy.

Playstation 2- Don't really count as classics, but a couple that don't get as much hype as the should: Twisted Metal Black and The Mark of Kri. The stories were so much better on TMB than they were in the past, and though it took a while to get used to the game speed it was ridiculously fun. The latter never sold as well as I thought it should have. It's a fun action-slasher with some stealth mixed in and some really cool art. My only gripe was that is was too short (I could beat it in one extended sitting now), and it's now out of print.

Spyhunter?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
up up down down left left right right A B start was the code for so many games...

that and some were tricky and had you hit select before start.

contra you had too, had to hit it twice for two player mode.

Unless you had game genie.......