Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation

Heads22

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
Tis part of growing up as a pitcher. He's still only 22 and iirc he basically skipped aaa. Hopefully our fans don't try to run him out the door anytime soon. I'm not enamored by his stuff but he should be a pretty solid pitcher for us for the next 5 years.

EDIT: Looks like I remembered incorrectly.

It is a part of the pitching maturation process. Hopefully he sits around Jon and Mark and listens A LOT.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
Long time ago. If he were a second round pick, nobody would hold up this hope that he is better than his numbers have suggested for so long. He just isn't a good pitcher and his stuff is overrated as well.

If he were a second round pick or he was acquired for someone not as high-profiled as Freddy Garcia, he would be Charlotte filler.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
If he were a second round pick or he was acquired for someone not as high-profiled as Freddy Garcia, he would be Charlotte filler.

Not with the numbers he put up in Charlotte this year, he would have no doubt gotten a chance to pitch in Chicago.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
Long time ago. If he were a second round pick, nobody would hold up this hope that he is better than his numbers have suggested for so long. He just isn't a good pitcher and his stuff is overrated as well.

well, he wasn't a second round pick. He was the 4th overall pick and was considered pretty much a top talent. If he didn't have top of the rotation upside, he likely wouldn't have been drafted 4th overall.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
well, he wasn't a second round pick. He was the 4th overall pick and was considered pretty much a top talent. If he didn't have top of the rotation upside, he likely wouldn't have been drafted 4th overall.

Nobody thinks he has the upside he had facing high school kids anymore.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
For all the people that like this move, I am curious about something, if Floyd continues to pitch like he has shown, how many starts do you give him until you do pull the plug? When is enough enough?

Unless the organization decides Egbert is ready, you give him the rest of the season. It certainly doesn't hurt and I know you and G.Pratt are especially against him but there is no reason not to let him pitch out the rest of the season.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)

The team that made the mistake of taking him that high was more than happy to unload him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
For all the people that like this move, I am curious about something, if Floyd continues to pitch like he has shown, how many starts do you give him until you do pull the plug? When is enough enough?

Until Sept call up time-thats maybe 4 starts?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
I'm sure Kenny understands that Floyd is old for his league and his league is bad.

I'd bet that being 24 isn't that old for his league. The league is indeed bad but he did end up dominating it where as Mr. Haeger's era was about 2.5 runs higher(off the top of my head). Like it or not, Floyd is by far the best option we have at this point to receive starts down the stretch and there is absolutely no reason for him not to be in the rotation.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
Unless the organization decides Egbert is ready, you give him the rest of the season. It certainly doesn't hurt and I know you and G.Pratt are especially against him but there is no reason not to let him pitch out the rest of the season.

If his ERA is over 10.00 you will blow out the bullpen and lessen the possibility of winning the games Floyd doesn't pitch batting practice in. On the other side of the coin, what if he has an ERA around 6.00 in these meaningless games. Is that good enough to count on him for next year? It is over 1.00 under his career ERA.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
If his ERA is over 10.00 you will blow out the bullpen and lessen the possibility of winning the games Floyd doesn't pitch batting practice in. On the other side of the coin, what if he has an ERA around 6.00 in these meaningless games. Is that good enough to count on him for next year? It is over 1.00 under his career ERA.

All great points.

--

I'll bet if you gave Haeger and Floyd equal starts, Haeger would have better numbers in the end.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)

Who cares? Honestly, does it matter if we blow out this fantastic bullpen and lose more games?

And no, if his era is 6 then he goes back to Charlotte or is let go or something but you have to see what he's got. Two spot starts isn't going to prove one way or another what he's capable of.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 02:48 AM)
Haeger will never be good or bad. He will be good sometimes and bad at other times. All knucklers are like that.

Well if he's more bad than good -- which he has been over the past four months -- what use will he be to a major league team?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
The team that made the mistake of taking him that high was more than happy to unload him.

In 2002, Gavin Floyd was ranked the 56th overall prospect in baseball by baseball america.

In 2003, Gavin Floyd was ranked the 8th overall prospect in baseball by baseball america.

In 2004, Gavin Floyd was ranked the 23rd overall prospect in baseball by baseball america.

In 2005, Gavin Floyd was ranked the 35th overall prospect in baseball by baseball america.

Now, why would such a bad pitcher get such high rankings by such a respected and all around well-known baseball site known for its ability to scout prospects?

It's not a question of talent, it is a question of utilizing that talent.

I see no harm in this move. I highly doubt he can do any worse then Contreras, and with the season already over, there is no harm if he goes out there for 4-5 starts and s***s his pants. After those 4-5 starts, if shows he has no balls and is afraid to attack the hitters and gets shelled, then give someone else a chance. For right now, we basically have nothing to lose, but something to gain.

Like I've said, knucklers will be up or down. I'm going to take hits on that because it's an easy thing to criticize me for saying -- Floyd was so good down there and Haeger had a rough year! Well, there are all sorts of things that come into play with that, and dumb luck has a big part of it.

Hell, I think Egbert could come up and do a better job than Floyd right now.

One down side to the "It's a lousy season, see what they can do" and especially with pitchers. is it is very tough to "show what you can do", when everyone sucks around you. Keep that in perspective.