Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation

Heads22

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
He's pitched 14 innings. He more than earned his spot down in Charlotte. Argue minor league numbers all you want but there was no one more deserving than him, period.

And he came up and got hammered. Arnie Munoz never got much of an opportunity. Rod Bolton never got much of an opportunity. Scott Ruffcorn's minor league numbers put Floyd's to shame, he got 5 starts and 31 innings total.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god.

Do whatever you can to get rid of Jose and that contract right now. I don't care if you have to take on Pat Burrell for instance (that's how much I want Jose off this team right now).

As for Floyd, results to me don't really matter for him over the next 2 months. Let him take his lumps. If he starts to show a bit of that potential he has towards the end of it then it'll be worth it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
For all the people that like this move, I am curious about something, if Floyd continues to pitch like he has shown, how many starts do you give him until you do pull the plug? When is enough enough?

Well what praytell should we do then. Go to a 4 man rotation? Yes Floyd has blown, but sending Contreras out there to get destroyed is not a better option. Lets give him a few starts and see what happens. Worse thing that happens is that he gets destroyed. Then you know, and you can make a decision.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:55 PM)
Well what praytell should we do then. Go to a 4 man rotation? Yes Floyd has blown, but sending Contreras out there to get destroyed is not a better option. Lets give him a few starts and see what happens. Worse thing that happens is that he gets destroyed. Then you know, and you can make a decision.

DA and I have both said -- give him a few starts, and see what happens. We've asked, Does "a few" mean "all of them" even if the result is the same same same old s*** over and over?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:56 PM)
I need to stop looking at stats, It's a bad habbit of mine.....

Maybe we should've traded for Timo, if this year's AAA IL stats mean so much. He could've helped us early on, and now? We might be able to pick him up and see if he's a different guy than he used to be. A better guy! A winning Timo!

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
I'd take Pat Burrell in a second for Contreras. He'd be the 3rd best hitter on the Sox.

The Sox are going to need OF's this off-season (even more if Jermaine Dye leaves).

The Phillies have always been desperate for SP (and will be more so if Freddy Garcia leaves as a FA).

And the Sox and Phillies have pulled a few trades before.

So I could see something happening here. What's the deal with Burrell's contract again, I think it runs out next season (or at least that's what I'm hoping).

Either way and I said this before, re-signing Jose Contreras to that 3 year deal could be the worse move in Kenny Williams tenure as a GM right now. It could really cripple this franchise if he can't get back to performing as he used to and we can't dump that salary.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 03:55 AM)
Well, he should've been up to help, if IL AAA stats mean that you deserve it.

The irony is delicious. Haeger deserves a shot despite the fact that he got creamed in a league that you constantly rip on everyday. But Haeger gets excuses -- "Knucklers are up and down" -- yup, which is why there's been all of one successful knuckler over the past 15 years.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
The irony is delicious. Haeger deserves a shot despite the fact that he got creamed in a league that you constantly rip on everyday. But Haeger gets excuses -- "Knucklers are up and down" -- yup, which is why there's been all of one successful knuckler over the past 15 years.

The irony is delicious that you would give Floyd shots but not poor Heath Phillips.

And though it's true there's only been one successful knuckler over the past fifteen years, that's one more successful knuckler in baseball than successful Gavin Floyds.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)

Haeger was actually very good the last month or so in AAA. Maybe his 4th season of AAA he can be as good as Floyd.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
The irony is delicious that you would give Floyd shots but not poor Heath Phillips.

And though it's true there's only been one successful knuckler over the past fifteen years, that's one more successful knuckler in baseball than successful Gavin Floyds.

Probably because Heath Phillips doesn't have the stuff to be a sucessful major league pitcher, and if he did, some team would have traded for him, because controlling a good young SP for 6 years at the major league level is like finding some sort of gold right now.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 04:02 AM)

Did you actually expect a response to this? I sure hope not.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 04:03 AM)
Haeger was actually very good the last month or so in AAA. Maybe his 4th season of AAA he can be as good as Floyd.

30 innings -- as a 21-year old, no less -- counts as a season?

Sorry for nitpicking at your hilarious joke, though.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 04:16 AM)
I was hoping to get a laugh. I thought it was funny. But you were being snarky and I was being snarky.

Fair enough.

I really don't think the two "sides" are that far off on this. Even you guys have 'conceded' that Floyd should see a handful of starts, and hey, if he gets shelled in each of the next four starts, then I'd probably be calling for the experiment to end, perhaps giving him the last month to see if he can try to become a one inning reliever. Tell him to let loose a little bit, see if he can get that fastball up to 94-96 for one inning and go from there.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
DA and I have both said -- give him a few starts, and see what happens. We've asked, Does "a few" mean "all of them" even if the result is the same same same old s*** over and over?

A) You're hanging on Haeger because of Rob Neyer, and you damn well know it.

B) Exactly what is the downside to pitching Floyd and seeing what he can do? DA obviously wants him gone now, do you agree? Don't we owe it to ourselves to at least see if the kid will ever amount to anything? You guys claiming that some young pitchers didn't suck for their first several hundred innings and turn out to be great pitchers is flat-out ridiculous. No one here is guaranteeing that he will turn into a stud. But there is no better time to find out than now. And yes, he has the pitches to succeed in this league. He is not Heath Phillips. He has a plus fastball and a plus curveball.

C) What if John Danks' first three starts had been like Floyd's last few starts? Would we deem him worthless too? I know he is younger, but 24 and 22 are really not that huge of a difference. Look at Rich Hill. He's 27 and finally putting it togeher.

There just is absolutely NO harm whatsoever in letting him pitch out the rest of the season.

Allow Egbert and Gio to master AAA before we rush them here, and accept that Haeger is what he is- a kid with no mastery of the knuckleball and on a team without a catcher who can catch it.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)
A) You're hanging on Haeger because of Rob Neyer, and you damn well know it.

B) Exactly what is the downside to pitching Floyd and seeing what he can do? DA obviously wants him gone now, do you agree? Don't we owe it to ourselves to at least see if the kid will ever amount to anything? You guys claiming that some young pitchers didn't suck for their first several hundred innings and turn out to be great pitchers is flat-out ridiculous. No one here is guaranteeing that he will turn into a stud. But there is no better time to find out than now. And yes, he has the pitches to succeed in this league. He is not Heath Phillips. He has a plus fastball and a plus curveball.

C) What if John Danks' first three starts had been like Floyd's last few starts? Would we deem him worthless too? I know he is younger, but 24 and 22 are really not that huge of a difference. Look at Rich Hill. He's 27 and finally putting it togeher.

There just is absolutely NO harm whatsoever in letting him pitch out the rest of the season.

Allow Egbert and Gio to master AAA before we rush them here, and accept that Haeger is what he is- a kid with no mastery of the knuckleball and on a team without a catcher who can catch it.

Funny how Floyd needs the opportunity but Haeger, who has AAA Charlotte 2006 numbers about the same as Floyd's 2007 AAA numbers and who has better major league numbers than Floyd, "is what he is." That's more than a little hypocritical. Floyd blew with Philadelphia, went back to AAA and struggled worse than Haeger struggled in AAA this season. Using your logic, Floyd should have been selling cars by now. (Although I do agree he should be selling cars).