Floyd Replaces Contreras in Rotation

Heads22

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
In 2002, Gavin Floyd was ranked the 56th overall prospect in baseball by baseball america.

In 2003, Gavin Floyd was ranked the 8th overall prospect in baseball by baseball america.

In 2004, Gavin Floyd was ranked the 23rd overall prospect in baseball by baseball america.

In 2005, Gavin Floyd was ranked the 35th overall prospect in baseball by baseball america.

Now, why would such a bad pitcher get such high rankings by such a respected and all around well-known baseball site known for its ability to scout prospects?

It's not a question of talent, it is a question of utilizing that talent.

I see no harm in this move. I highly doubt he can do any worse then Contreras, and with the season already over, there is no harm if he goes out there for 4-5 starts and s***s his pants. After those 4-5 starts, if shows he has no balls and is afraid to attack the hitters and gets shelled, then give someone else a chance. For right now, we basically have nothing to lose, but something to gain.

Its 2007 what's he ranked now? In October 2005 the White Sox were ranked the best team in the world. Wasn't in BA that said the Sox had the best farm system in baseball in 2000? Didn't that turn out to be quite wrong? Where someone ranked 5 years ago gets nobody out during this year's games unfortunately. The Sox are replacing Contreras with someone who is worse.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
Like I've said, knucklers will be up or down. I'm going to take hits on that because it's an easy thing to criticize me for saying -- Floyd was so good down there and Haeger had a rough year! Well, there are all sorts of things that come into play with that, and dumb luck has a big part of it.

Hell, I think Egbert could come up and do a better job than Floyd right now.

what's the harm in trying? What, will those extra losses that might happen be crucial to our postseason run? Give him a couple starts, who gives a damn. If he sucks, he sucks. So be it, we cut ties with him and move on, and try someone else.

Some of you guys are acting ridiculous. I just can't understand why some people are making such a big f***ing deal out of this.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
One down side to the "It's a lousy season, see what they can do" and especially with pitchers. is it is very tough to "show what you can do", when everyone sucks around you. Keep that in perspective.

Floyd and his enthusiasts have no room to blame anyone for his struggles other than him.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
what's the harm in trying? What, will those extra losses that might happen be crucial to our postseason run? Give him a couple starts, who gives a damn. If he sucks, he sucks. So be it, we cut ties with him and move on, and try someone else.

Some of you guys are acting ridiculous. I just can't understand why some people are making such a big f***ing deal out of this.

I'm totally in favor of giving him more starts -- I am not in favor of giving him ten more starts of a couple of innings and six runs. Five more of that and then he has to go back down to AAA and hope to God he can be respectable in Spring Training or he's going to get cut.

DA and I say, "We've seen his last 100 innings. We've seen his innings this year. If he puts the same old s*** five times out in a row more, why on Earth would we keep trotting him out there?"

It's definitely not an unreasonable question.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
One down side to the "It's a lousy season, see what they can do" and especially with pitchers. is it is very tough to "show what you can do", when everyone sucks around you. Keep that in perspective.

I understand, but with Floyd that really doesn't apply. Defense doesn't really matter. The only one's who really need a glove are the fans in the bleachers.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 03:29 AM)
Floyd and his enthusiasts have

Oh come on, you're better than that. Who in this thread is a Floyd "enthusiast"? You and DA may be right, he might suck and never be anything more than a AAAA pitcher. We "enthusiasts" just want to see Floyd given the chance to prove that he sucks, and three or four starts certainly isn't enough to show that. You guys still haven't given a good reason why letting Floyd start the rest of the season is a bad idea. It won't burn out the bullpen -- that's what Haeger is here for.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
Floyd and his enthusiasts have no room to blame anyone for his struggles other than him.

How do explain Haeger s***ting his pants everytime he has been out except for about twice then? What should we blame Haeger's knuckle ball not knuckling all season, in AAA and the majors, on? The weather? Yeah! lets blame the weather for Haeger only having a few good starts in AAA and 1 or 2 good outings in the pros. All the other times Haeger sucked the weather was bad...

Believe me, I am no enthusiast of either. In fact, I started that other Floyd thread about him sucking. The matter of fact is, this season is over. Who gives a s***. Lets just see what he can do, and if he sucks, lthen lets see what Haeger could maybe do.

It is sad when the whole board in conflicted over this.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
I see my point flew right over your head...

I'm pretty stupid and you are very smart, so that's easy to do, but how about some raw numbers. Since your BA rankings of Floyd stop at 2005, lets look at his major league numbers from 2005 until today. 94.2 innings, 125 hits 97 runs 27 homeruns allowed 53 walks 59 strikeouts. He blows.

I was making a general statement. When the rest of the team is going through the motions, and sucking, it's harder for you to play your best than if you have a team firing on all cylinders. Just saying. Not taking a specific position on any specific player. Just mentioning the "see what they can do". Probably should have been made in a different thread. Momentum is contagious.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
I'm pretty stupid and you are very smart, so that's easy to do, but how about some raw numbers. Since your BA rankings of Floyd stop at 2005, lets look at his major league numbers from 2005 until today. 94.2 innings, 125 hits 97 runs 27 homeruns allowed 53 walks 59 strikeouts. He blows.

he couldn't be ranked after 05 because he lost his prospect status.

And please tell me where I said you are stupid and I am very smart...

(btw, thats ^ true :P )

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
I really don't think anyone is......

Floyd has been terrible. This team has been terrible. They have 0 shot for the playoffs. Floyd is the best/most realistic option to see if he has what it takes to stay with this club. Jose has been horrible.

I really don't see why this is so hard to comprehend, I really dont think there are any "Floyd enthusiasts" saying that Floyd should have unlimited chances. But because of the struggles this team has had, especailly Conteras, this is an oppurtunity to see what Floyd can bring to the Sox.

You don't call, "Every fifth game, no matter how bad he sucks," to be an unlimited chance?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
I really don't think anyone is......

Floyd has been terrible. This team has been terrible. They have 0 shot for the playoffs. Floyd is the best/most realistic option to see if he has what it takes to stay with this club. Jose has been horrible.

I really don't see why this is so hard to comprehend, I really dont think there are any "Floyd enthusiasts" saying that Floyd should have unlimited chances. But because of the struggles this team has had, especailly Conteras, this is an oppurtunity to see what Floyd can bring to the Sox.

I'm probably still as high on Floyd here as anyone, and even I'll say he gets like 5-8 starts at most. If he gets shelled for 5+ every time out, then that's the best he's going to do here,, and we let him walk next year after ST. If he doesn't put together a couple of good starts between now and the end of the season, with at least some reason for hope, then he walks at the end of ST next year.

I'd consider giving him an even shorter leash than that, but we may as well see if he can learn anything before he walks since he's out of options. If not, then it's no big loss for this season.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)

Since Floyd has 125 innings under his belt, why don't we give Haeger the same opportunity? Why tax the other pitchers. Let them rotate some time off and save themselves for next year. Don't we have to see what we have in him too? While were at it, lets bring up the entire Knights pitching staff.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)
Since Floyd has 125 innings under his belt, why don't we give Haeger the same opportunity? Why tax the other pitchers. Let them rotate some time off and save themselves for next year. Don't we have to see what we have in him too? While were at it, lets bring up the entire Knights pitching staff.

Haeger I believe at least has options left. In other words, if Floyd bombs this year, Charlie comes out next ST as next in line since Floyd walks, and Charlie can spend part of the year in AAA until Garland walks if needbe. We're not in the hurry on Charlie that we are on Floyd.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Oh come on, you're better than that. Who in this thread is a Floyd "enthusiast"? You and DA may be right, he might suck and never be anything more than a AAAA pitcher. We "enthusiasts" just want to see Floyd given the chance to prove that he sucks, and three or four starts certainly isn't enough to show that. You guys still haven't given a good reason why letting Floyd start the rest of the season is a bad idea. It won't burn out the bullpen -- that's what Haeger is here for.

There's nothing wrong with Floyd starting the rest of the season. That way when he craps his pants over the next 10 starts we don't have to waste our time with him as a starter next year.

Bob

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)

Because Gavin actually earned his spot on the team, Haeger has not.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)

He also actually was halfway decent in the majors in 2004, but has gone backwards ever since. He's a bust. He would be in Charlotte right now if he were acquired for Lance Broadway, and not 1 person on this board would be saying give him the ball every 5th day for the rest of the season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
He also actually was halfway decent in the majors in 2004, but has gone backwards ever since. He's a bust. He would be in Charlotte right now if he were acquired for Lance Broadway, and not 1 person on this board would be saying give him the ball every 5th day for the rest of the season.

After the string he put up in Charlotte back in June/July, yes a couple of us would.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)

He was by far and away the best pitcher in Charlotte. I don't get how you can say that.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
He's given up 8 homers in 14 innings. His ERA is over 10.00. I don't think that spot is earned.

He's pitched 14 innings. He more than earned his spot down in Charlotte. Argue minor league numbers all you want but there was no one more deserving than him, period.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
After the string he put up in Charlotte back in June/July, yes a couple of us would.

Then where was the outrage when Prinz was let go? Floyd has given up 8 homers in 14 innings. His ERA is over 10.00. If it wasn't for KW talking him up, everyone would write off as a AAAA pitcher, considering his career ERA is over 7.00. He has pitched as bad as anyone in a White Sox uniform ever. If he deserves an opportunity, everyone does.