Charlie Haeger Sent Down

Chisox_fan

QUOTE(lord chas @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 12:09 AM)
terrible we need to see if he is capable of starting or not

He is capable of starting. He'll put up a career ERA of 5.00 and throw over 1000 innings. Gavin Floyd has a chance to be better than that and a likelyhood of being worse. During a season like this, it's time to take a chance.

Haeger has absolutely no upside in the major leagues at all, and if he's pissed, he needs to learn to throw how to throw 91-94 with a good breaking ball and offspeed pitch in a hurry, because depending on a knuckleball is like depending on cheesy pickup line to pickup a girl - you know it'll be there, but you don't know if it will work.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 04:34 AM)
because depending on a knuckleball is like depending on cheesy pickup line to pickup a girl - you know it'll be there, but you don't know if it will work.

How long did it take you to come up with that one?

Confirmed my suspicion. Here is the quote, in proper context:

Posada connected again in the eighth for his first multihomer game this season and the 14th of his career. Charlie Haeger then hit Cano with a pitch and was immediately ejected by plate umpire Tom Hallion.

"I can't even describe what a bad call that is," said Haeger, who was sent down to Triple-A Charlotte after the game.

Link to article.

Haeger was NOT talking about the demotion, he was talking about the ejection.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 07:46 AM)

Link to article.

Of course he was...who tries to send a message with a knuckleball?

I saw the game Wed on WGN and the umps call was total BS. The thought that the knuckleball was thrown to intentionally hit a guy in that situation was ridiculous. You don't make a statement with a 65 MPH knuckler.

I also think it is proper to send Haeger down. He has not been performing either.

He didn't deserve to stay and I just don't like the knuckle-ball, unless you have a catcher who can actually catch it. With the knuckle-ball you get more inconsistency, more walks, more passed balls, more wild pitches, the other team getting extra bases and extra outs.

When the pitch is 'working' it is very tough to hit, but it is a very high risk pitch.

That being said, Floyd doesn't deserve to stay either, but at this point we have no one in AAA that shows much promise, although Broadway is still in play I think. He has moved up to AAA in decent time and seems to be improving. No, Lance will never be a top-of-the-rotation starter, but we don't need that right now...we just need someone fairly competent. I say give Floyd a couple starts and then see what Broadway has.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 04:43 AM)
I don't see the article (no link provided), but are you sure he wasn't talking about getting ejected? Because he was upset about that obviously.

I know. I thought it was obvious he was talking about the call but I guess some people get confused.

QUOTE(Chisox_fan @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
I know. I thought it was obvious he was talking about the call but I guess some people get confused.

Its obvious with the previous graf, but as a single sentence in the first post, it makes it look like he was talking about the demotion.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
Another one bites the dust.

Haeger did not look like the answer during his brief stay.

Bye bye Charlie.

Well I think early on he showed something out of the pen, and then unfortunately it just kind of fell apart for him.

I think he COULD make it possibly, but whether that's going to be with the White Sox, I don't know.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 2, 2007 -> 07:46 AM)

Link to article.

Yeah, that was a Jay Mariotti job of taking something out of context. He was talking about getting ejected for "throwing at someone" with a 69 mph knuckleball, and I have to agree with him.