Interesting...

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Cleveland was 5 over .500 at that point in 2005 and we are currently 9 under. That is a huge difference. The Sox were on pace for 106 wins at that point, which eventually corrected to 99.

The Tigers are only on pace for 92 wins at this point. For us to even match that win total, we would have to go 42-11 (.792). Just say the Sox strung together 20 wins, they would still have to go 22-11 (.666). Boston with the best record in the league is winning at a .611 clip. So basically there is a 99.999999% chance that the Sox will not make the playoffs.

Edited by RME JICO

This is similar to what i said on the post game show tonight with "pool boy" Before we get optimistic and to think we have a chance we need to at least get to 500. Right now we are 9 games under and it seems every time we get to 7 games under we lose the next two or three and fall back to 10-11 games under. Lets get back to an even record and go from there.........southsidebrian

Edited by spataro51

Sweep the Tigers and then Cleveland...

My thinking in this... Why the hell not?

Cause we still do not have the right makeup.

We still have an awful bullpen except for Bobby.

We still have veterans not turning their seasons around completely (Paulie, Thome,

Dye before the last couple games, AJ).

We still are not deep enough in starting pitching (Jose and Danks are not good).

And we still have no speed.

The result is we are not good enough to win more than 5 of 10 games in any

stretch.

That said, I do congratulate Fields for doing well and Owens also has been OK.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
Cause we still do not have the right makeup.

We still have an awful bullpen except for Bobby.

We still have veterans not turning their seasons around completely (Paulie, Thome,

Dye before the last couple games, AJ).

We still are not deep enough in starting pitching (Jose and Danks are not good).

And we still have no speed.

The result is we are not good enough to win more than 5 of 10 games in any

stretch.

Paulie's up to an .880 OPS; that's very close to the norm over the past 3 years, and he has been outstanding over the past two months, and that's without even looking at numbers. Thome's been a monster any time he's ever been in the lineup, and Dye's raised his OPS 115 points since the All-Star break, which was like 3 weeks ago.

Jose is out of the rotation, and if Floyd can put up even a 5.50 ERA, the Sox will be good enough.

Besides that, of course the Sox won't be able to contend; it would take a near miracle to do so. It's not the players you mentioned, it's the fact that Andy Gonzalez is leading off and playing a huge factor on this team, and that Jerry Owens is starting and expected to make a significant contribution while he has put up an OPS of .580 this year. You look at the actual s***ty players for the Sox, and it's understandable as to why they are as bad as they've been, even over the past month or so when they've played above .500 ball. Podsednik resigning and Darin Erstad - bless his grinderness, but he sucks - didn't help this team, and the s***ty bullpen - which you did mention - give this team as close to 0 chance as it gets.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 3, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
Cleveland was 5 over .500 at that point in 2005 and we are currently 9 under. That is a huge difference. The Sox were on pace for 106 wins at that point, which eventually corrected to 99.

The Tigers are only on pace for 92 wins at this point. For us to even match that win total, we would have to go 42-11 (.792). Just say the Sox strung together 20 wins, they would still have to go 22-11 (.666). Boston with the best record in the league is winning at a .611 clip. So basically there is a 99.999999% chance that the Sox will not make the playoffs.

I love it...42-11 and people are still bringing this point up. Yes, we will need to sweep both the Tigers and Indians over the next 6 days- and even then we'd still be in 4th place.

The only possible way this could happen is if the whole division beats up on each other down the stretch while the White Sox get incredibly hot and the winner of the central needs 86 wins or so to get in...remember in 05 we lost like 7 or 8 in a row and the Indians won 6 or 7 in the same time span and made up half the ground just like that. We wont have that luxury as we need to count on 3 teams losing which is hard to happen when you consider these teams are going to be playing each other (someone has to win).

When we run the table in August, then yes, I will say we have a CHANCE.

;-)

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
sox are 45-43 in games that contreras doesnt start, damn, if he was even having a decent year (12-9) the sox are right in it (57-52, 4.5 GB)

Yeah, and we're in first if he's decent and the bullpen didn't suck ass. And we're the best in baseball if everybody didn't come out of the gate hitting their weight.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
Yeah, and we're in first if he's decent and the bullpen didn't suck ass. And we're the best in baseball if everybody didn't come out of the gate hitting their weight.

i know there is a lot of blame to go around but specifically a guy that came into the season something like 20-25 games over .500 its well out of the norm that he would be 5-14 at this point in the year

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
i know there is a lot of blame to go around but specifically a guy that came into the season something like 20-25 games over .500 its well out of the norm that he would be 5-14 at this point in the year

Actually, this could have been done, but we blew it. If we would have come out of the all-star break and won a lot of the games we threw away, we very well could be 7 games back right now. Instead, Jenks blew two games, a couple other games were thrown away, and we're still 12 games back. The Tigers have been in a free-fall the past 2-3 weeks, the Indians have been very inconsistent. The Twins are still hanging around because of them. I believe 87-88 wins could very well win this division. Unfortunately, what we are doing is too little, too late. Unless of course......naw....

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
Actually, this could have been done, but we blew it. If we would have come out of the all-star break and won a lot of the games we threw away, we very well could be 7 games back right now. Instead, Jenks blew two games, a couple other games were thrown away, and we're still 12 games back. The Tigers have been in a free-fall the past 2-3 weeks, the Indians have been very inconsistent. The Twins are still hanging around because of them. I believe 87-88 wins could very well win this division. Unfortunately, what we are doing is too little, too late. Unless of course......naw....

Don't forget the seven series leading up to the All-Star break, when the Sox played the Pirates, Marlins, Cubs, Devil Rays, Royals, Orioles and Twins. In the time to really make a push before the break and possibly become buyers at the trade deadline, the Sox went 12-12, breaking even after starting the stretch out 2-7 and getting swept by the Cubs.

On the bright side, the Sox are playing their best ball yet. The bullpen is as stable as it has been this year, Buehrle and Vazquez have been really good, we have a respectable team batting average (.267) since the break, during which time we've scored the fifth most runs in the majors. But to make a run at the playoffs, just about every pitchers needs to perform well and the hitters need to keep up what they've been doing since the break ended.

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 4, 2007 -> 07:10 PM)
nobody in this division is playing good ball since the all-star break it's really quite amazing:

indians - 10-12

tigers - 9-13

twins - 11-10

royals - 10-11

sox - 11-12

how long can that continue? somebody needs to get hot at some point right?

*correction

tigers - 9-14

sox - 12-12 (we've gained 2.5 games since the break on detroit by playing .500 ball wow)

I guess we can take it 1 game at a time. If we make up a game a week we're right in it at the end of the seasons. That will be hard to do but Minnesota just made up 5 games in a week in a half. But before I'm even dreaming about the playoffs, I want to see the team get back to .500.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
You can't be thinking about the playoffs at this point. You have to take things day to day, and put people in the position to learn at the major league level to be able to help you here in 2008 and beyond. If we win, and get into the playoff hunt, that is just a bonus.

I know a lot of people really dislike our system, but seriously...the way Owens, Richar, Fields, and now Floyd have been performing lately, it certainly seems like we're setting ourself up well for this offseason and next year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
I know a lot of people really dislike our system, but seriously...the way Owens, Richar, Fields, and now Floyd have been performing lately, it certainly seems like we're setting ourself up well for this offseason and next year.

Yeah, everyone of those guys that can put up respectable numbers for us, saves us at least 10 times that in salary for another major leaguer.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
Yeah, everyone of those guys that can put up respectable numbers for us, saves us at least 10 times that in salary for another major leaguer.

And, at least to my eyes most importantly...if Gavin could keep this up, it turns Garland or Vazquez into a trading chip this offseason which we can use to fill in those other holes (SS). Without another young starter stepping up, we won't be in a place to either clear salary off the books or to trade away our best trade asset, because we'd be stuck with a 4 man rotation next year, with 2 of them being Danks and Jose.