Cubs claim Podsednik; Pods still here (for now)

Linnwood

From today's Daily Southtown Cubs Notebook:

Peeking at 'Pods'?

With Soriano out, rumors have the Cubs interested in White Sox left fielder Scott Podsednik. Because of tampering rules, GM Jim Hendry cannot talk about acquiring specific players, but he said as of late Monday afternoon he hadn't talked on the phone to other GMs yet.

With the non-waiver trade deadline having passed, deals are more difficult -- but not impossible -- to make.

"I haven't made any calls," Hendry said. "There was never any thought last night except who we were getting from Iowa. And the waiver situation ... there is no easy cure."

http://dailysouthtown.com/sports/499856,071SPT7.article

via: http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2007/8/7/135516/8837

Edited by Linnwood

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
The sox should be able to get one of the best players not on the Cubs 40 man roster for Pods. Such as LHP Carmen Pignatiello. He's not on the Cubs 40 man roster.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/C...natiello-.shtml

pignatiello is a providence guy...he played with honel, he was drafted a year ahead though...hes a little old and i dont think he is supposed to have that high of a ceiling.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
pignatiello is a providence guy...he played with honel, he was drafted a year ahead though...hes a little old and i dont think he is supposed to have that high of a ceiling.

But he does seem to be effective and could step in and help in 2008. He's a soft tossing LHP--more like a lefty Wasserman. Yet the guy can keep the ball in the park and doesn't walk that many. Any guy the sox get who isn't on the cubs 40 man is either an A ball pitcher or an older prospect.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 08:13 PM)
No way Murton or Cedeno gets through waivers. No freakin' way.

(That doesn't mean that I wouldn't want it to happen though)

Neither guy has to get through waivers, just to the Sox. Still wont happen but it's a major difference.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
Neither guy has to get through waivers, just to the Sox. Still wont happen but it's a major difference.

In order for a Murton or Cedeno to make it to the Sox via waivers 20 teams would have to pass on them first (all 16 NL teams and the 4 AL teams below the Sox) not gonna happen.

QUOTE(ChiSox35 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
I hope we keep Pods, not as a primary leadoff option, but as backup. I'm still not sold on Owens, but it's looking like he's earning the '08 job. If we don't put all our eggs in the Pods basket, the production he gives us will be that much of a sweet bonus, and as the Win/Loss record w/ Pods shows, he helps the team.

:puke

From a Sun-Times source:

Pods rumors denied

Chicago Cubs general manager Jim Hendry scoffed at rumors the Cubs are trying to acquire Chicago White Sox outfielder Scott Podsednik in a waiver trade. ''I haven't talked to Kenny in a couple of weeks,'' said Hendry, referring to Sox GM Ken Williams.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 06:55 PM)
If we trade Pods, we are going to get something like we got for Mackowiak or Iguchi, maybe less. I don't know why you would expect more?

And it would be well worth it. Anything to guarantee he won't be on the team next year.