He did it again!! (What the hell was Ozzie thinking, volume 80

whitesoxfan101

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. It was even tied tonight, and Fields is on fire. But no, let's bunt!?!? On the first pitch!?! With Owens at 1st, Borowski on the hill, and V-Mart catching? First of all, Joe Blow had nothing tonight and Fields was raking, so to bunt at all is borderline insanity. But then, you don't even let Owens still 2nd first, and of course, karma plays out and the bunt is botched and of course later, Owens steals 2nd AND 3rd without a throw.

I hope we win tonight, but this should have already been over with us winning, just like last nights game should have went extras. Amazing Ozzie, and sorry but back to back nights deserve back to back threads, and I'd have about gone crazy if we were still in the race with this ignorance from #13. (Note: Title of thread was volume 80 billion and 1 btw. :))

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Good point, I'm sorry I forgot to put it in my post. WHY did he let Erstad hit with Thome still available?!?! So stupid, thank GOD we won this time at least. And good call Steve Stone.

Go ahead and flame my post, drones. We won, so Ozzie is great!! Uhh....

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
Explain to me how those moves are defensible. At least we got away with it tonight, but if not for Ozzie, we might be going for a sweep tomorrow.

since you know it all, go work for them. I'm sure they would love your input every game.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/help/jobs.jsp?c_id=cws

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
Uribe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hawk and Stone are awesome together.

I know, reminds me why everybody wanted that duo when Stone was cut by the Cubs. I'm still baffled by Ozzie's managing tonight though, kudos to our players for overcoming it. :headbang

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
since you know it all, go work for them. I'm sure they would love your input every game.

Can we come down off of the high horse and at least admit that it was a questionable call? It looked like Owens could swipe those bags easily. Especially with Borowski's pick off move. It looked like the perfect storm to have him steal and have one of the hottest hitters this game take a shot at winning or at least moving him to 3rd.

Edited by vandy125

QUOTE(rangercal @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)

I tell you what, you let me know next time the White Sox will consider hiring someone who doesn't suck JR's ass and have a history in baseball and I'll be glad to apply. Just because Ozzie is a manager doesn't mean he understands the game. He's at a fourth grade level with this stuff. He thinks Darin Erstad is good at baseball. He thinks that putting a young power hitter in the 2 hole to slap and bunt is a good idea. He'd rather have Pods up than Thome. He'd rather have Erstad up than Thome.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:36 PM)
Good point, I'm sorry I forgot to put it in my post. WHY did he let Erstad hit with Thome still available?!?! So stupid, thank GOD we won this time at least. And good call Steve Stone.

Go ahead and flame my post, drones. We won, so Ozzie is great!! Uhh....

He couldnt PH for Erstad, or else Thome would have to play first, because Konerko was the DH. So he was going to have thome hit for Gonzalez and probably sub richar in the game, but thome never got to the plate

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
He couldnt PH for Erstad, or else Thome would have to play first, because Konerko was the DH. So he was going to have thome hit for Gonzalez and probably sub richar in the game, but thome never got to the plate

Or he could have hit for Erstad and Gonzalez move to 1B...

I agree with whitesoxfan101 on this, a lot of baffling moves tonight... and it is laughable to see Erstad batting 5th in a major league lineup.

I didn't see the game but at least Ozzie calling for the bunt. Remember 4-5 years ago when we had a manager that wouldn't even do that? Remember how frustrating that was?

edit: I would like to add that I would rather Owens steal and then see the bunt but at least Ozzie has gone with option #2.

Edited by earthshiner

QUOTE(KevinM @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:41 PM)
I tell you what, you let me know next time the White Sox will consider hiring someone who doesn't suck JR's ass and have a history in baseball and I'll be glad to apply. Just because Ozzie is a manager doesn't mean he understands the game. He's at a fourth grade level with this stuff. He thinks Darin Erstad is good at baseball. He thinks that putting a young power hitter in the 2 hole to slap and bunt is a good idea. He'd rather have Pods up than Thome. He'd rather have Erstad up than Thome.

Oh, I'm sure you'll do just great. Start holding your breath now and I'll call when the job opens.

While you are waiting, why don't you do some fact-checking on your statements.

Turning blue, yet?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
I know, reminds me why everybody wanted that duo when Stone was cut by the Cubs. I'm still baffled by Ozzie's managing tonight though, kudos to our players for overcoming it. :headbang

I honestly agree with your point of view here. And I think that was somewhat vindicated when Owens stole that base so easily. However, there are two schools of thought here, and Ozzie is clearly more comfortable with the other one. It isn't as though his point of view isn't one espoused by several commentators. I disagree with it, but that's what happens when you are the manager- you get to make the calls.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
Oh, I'm sure you'll do just great. Start holding your breath now and I'll call when the job opens.

While you are waiting, why don't you do some fact-checking on your statements.

Turning blue, yet?

Is it really that unacceptable to slam Ozzie? Seriously, he knows no more about the game than most intelligent fans. He doesn't think Thome and Richar can handle a tough lefty, but Pods and Erstad can. He's an absolute joke of a manager and it is embarrassing to watch him call for a bunt from a guy who had been roping the ball all night. Why can't Ozzie just go with a solid lineup?

Owens

Richar

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Fields

Pierzynski

Uribe

Garbage

QUOTE(KevinM @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 07:50 AM)
Is it really that unacceptable to slam Ozzie? Seriously, he knows no more about the game than most intelligent fans. He doesn't think Thome and Richar can handle a tough lefty, but Pods and Erstad can. He's an absolute joke of a manager and it is embarrassing to watch him call for a bunt from a guy who had been roping the ball all night. Why can't Ozzie just go with a solid lineup?

Owens

Richar

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Fields

Pierzynski

Uribe

Garbage

That is saying a bit much. How many intelligent fans have actually played in a major, or for that matter, a minor league game? How many spend most of their time working with these players and know what is going on with them? I would think you would have to know quite a bit about the game in order to make it to the level that he has.

Ozzie Guillen is a good manager and will be for as long as he chooses to be because he understands the players and the game. If he is managing games by the seat of his pants, simple moves that should be made may not be made because his pants don't tell him so. I believe he needs a bench coach to rely on. Despite all of the BS about Baines becasue he isn't up on a soapbox chattering with everyone that wants to talk with him, he knows baseball as does everyone in the dugout......more than everyone on this board. The thing is this is a message board and if not for these topics we can all post about trading John Danks for Migel Tejada in the offseason.

I like Hawk and his rants about Catfish and early era baseball because it is better than the alternatives like the half inning score updates which also scroll across the bottom of the screen. Stone and Hawk are a great duo that I would listen to regardless of the team because they are interesting. This shows how brutal DJ is.

Nice win.

Ozzie really had no other choice than to go with the bunt. I think he knew that the situation absolutely called for a stolen base, but sending Owens makes him look like he was second guessing himself from the night before. A manager's gotta be macho and prove himself infallible.

Great win, nonetheless.

I'm all for stealing 2nd and then bunting him to 3rd. But that brings a couple more things into play. One,if Owens get caught then people will complain that he didn't bunt. Two, if Owens is safe and Fields gets him to 3rd, then you're taking the bat out of Konerko and Dye's hands because they will both be walked to load the bases. Throw in the fact that the Sox have been absolutley putrid this year when the bases have been loaded, i can see what Ozzie was doing.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 07:54 AM)
That is saying a bit much. How many intelligent fans have actually played in a major, or for that matter, a minor league game? How many spend most of their time working with these players and know what is going on with them? I would think you would have to know quite a bit about the game in order to make it to the level that he has.

I honestly don't care if my manager has ever picked up a glove let alone a bat. You simply do not make the decisions Ozzie has made over the years if you are a good manager. I'm sure he has a great rapport with our players, but he simply does not know how to handle a ballclub properly. This is not the NL, Fields does not equal Eckstein, and Ozzie is not any more knowledgable for having been a s***ty ballplayer.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 07:55 AM)
Ozzie really had no other choice than to go with the bunt. I think he knew that the situation absolutely called for a stolen base, but sending Owens makes him look like he was second guessing himself from the night before. A manager's gotta be macho and prove himself infallible.
You're not kidding are you? Pretzel logic.

QUOTE(KevinM @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
I honestly don't care if my manager has ever picked up a glove let alone a bat. You simply do not make the decisions Ozzie has made over the years if you are a good manager. I'm sure he has a great rapport with our players, but he simply does not know how to handle a ballclub properly. This is not the NL, Fields does not equal Eckstein, and Ozzie is not any more knowledgable for having been a s***ty ballplayer.

It's a good think you are not a baseball player then.