Hawk And Stone

JohnCangelosi

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
I can't believe you like Grace, he's more smug and prickish than Farmer.

Who knows why, I think its cause hes my dads twin. I cant stand Farmer without Rooney. I think my dream tandem would be Rooney on PBP and Stoney doing color.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
Who knows why, I think its cause hes my dads twin. I cant stand Farmer without Rooney. I think my dream tandem would be Rooney on PBP and Stoney doing color.

A Rooney/Stoney booth would probably have to be simulcasted do to awesomeness.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
You're daggum right. I heard it for the first time a couple weeks back when the Sox were playing the Tigers at home.

I wrote this in a game thread last week about the whole duck fart thing...

My wife actually heard him say it and she was like did he just say duck fart?? I'm like no...he says duck snort and she is like no I think he just said duck fart and I'm like no he didn't, I been listening to him for years and he says DUCK SNORT. and she says i don't care how long you been listening to him he JUST SAID DUCK FART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm like YOU'RE f***IN WACKED WOMAN!!! and she said YOU'RE an ASSHOLE MAN and I said yeah but at least I'm not a deaf asshole...and she said yeah you are...and I said no I ain't. YADA YADA YADA....next thing ya know somebody pops up and hawk says duck fart.

UGGGHHH I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
Really? Seems to me he does that a lot.

Otherwise though, loved the post. Awesome.

He has 8 singles to left field at home this year and only 1 double in the left center gap. He used to be one of the best opposite field hitters in the game during his Twins days now he just flies out in the majority of his ABs to shallow left and center in the majority of his ABs. He's trying to get too much lift on his linedrives instead of just going with the outside pitch and working that left center field gap. He's gotten average up to .270 but he'd be so much more valuable if he just concentrated on taking the ball the other way for singles and doubles while turning on the occasional fastball rather than trying to lift the ball the other way and falling to one knee on high fastballs like he's doing now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
He has 8 singles to left field at home this year and only 2 doubles in the left center gap. He used to be one of the best opposite field hitters in the game during his Twins days now he just flies out in the majority of his ABs to shallow left and center in the majority of his ABs. He's trying to get too much lift on his linedrives instead of just going with the outside pitch and working that left center field gap. He's gotten average up to .270 but he'd be so much more valuable if he just concentrated on taking the ball the other way for singles and doubles while turning on the occasional fastball rather than trying to lift the ball the other way and falling to one knee on high fastballs like he's doing now.

Left center used to be his power alley. His HR against Boston in the ALDS was the stroke he used to have every at bat.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
Milo Hamilton (Astros) is also one of the best play-by-play guys in the business. I wish that the Sox could steal him and move Farmer back to color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milo_Hamilton

After a four-year hiatus, Hamilton moved to the Chicago White Sox in 1961[3], serving as the assistant to longtime White Sox announcer Bob Elson.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
He has 8 singles to left field at home this year and only 1 double in the left center gap. He used to be one of the best opposite field hitters in the game during his Twins days now he just flies out in the majority of his ABs to shallow left and center in the majority of his ABs. He's trying to get too much lift on his linedrives instead of just going with the outside pitch and working that left center field gap. He's gotten average up to .270 but he'd be so much more valuable if he just concentrated on taking the ball the other way for singles and doubles while turning on the occasional fastball rather than trying to lift the ball the other way and falling to one knee on high fastballs like he's doing now.

Yeah that's true, I haven't seen him hit a single ball to left center. But I have seen some flares to hard left.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
Apparently I'm alone in thinking that DJ is a solid color man. It's great having Stoney in the booth, but I really would be kind of disappointed if DJ were ever let go. He really does know a lot about the game, especially the strategy side.

Can somebody please PM at the moment DJ says something insightful about baseball? Other than his regurgitated version of what Hawk says? Because I don't think I've ever heard anything insightful from DJ. Someone brought up the 'knowledge' about the other team -- very rarely does DJ know a lick about the opposing team, other than when, say, Trot Nixon stands at the plate, he'll say "He's like Darin Erstad for us -- he's just a ballplayer."

It's pathetic -- the two color men we have are absolutely brutal.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
Left center used to be his power alley. His HR against Boston in the ALDS was the stroke he used to have every at bat.

I went through the hit charts for every park he's hit in this year and out of the 17 doubles he has this season only 2 of them have been to left center. 1 at home and another at Camden that hit off the top of the wall.

Stone and Hawk are doing a really good job, these are some of the few broadcasts I have enjoyed in a while.

Although I did notice Stone repeated alot of the stuff he said the first game of the series in the second but whos paying attention.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
The ole Hawkeroo. A legend in his own mind and a hall of famer, who never got his due. Stone probbaly struck him out once or twice.

Stoney's first year was Hawk's last and they were in opposite leagues so they never faced each other.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
The ole Hawkeroo. A legend in his own mind and a hall of famer, who never got his due. Stone probbaly struck him out once or twice.
They never faced each other.

Edit: Kalapse beat me to it.

Edited by Yossarian

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
It's a shame the Sox won't put the best broadcasting team out there and instead employ "projects" who never develop.

Hawk isn't "developed"...?

And even if they did pursue others, the other party would have to be willing to take the job, no?

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
Hawk isn't "developed"...?

And even if they did pursue others, the other party would have to be willing to take the job, no?

I think he's referring to, say, Singleton and DJ, as well as making a crack about the farm. I don't know though.

But no, Hawk isn't developed. :hawk:

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
I think he's referring to, say, Singleton and DJ, as well as making a crack about the farm. I don't know though.

But no, Hawk isn't developed. :hawk:

The Sox don't employ Farmer and Singleton.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
I think he's referring to, say, Singleton and DJ,

Seems like a money issue to me. Why would JR & Co. want to pay Steve Stone millions (or at least supplement what CSN would give him) when DJ will gladly do the job for a fraction of the cost? Money is the reason that we lost Rooney as well.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Aug 9, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
Seems like a money issue to me. Why would JR & Co. want to pay Steve Stone millions when DJ will gladly do the job for a fraction of the cost? Money is the reason that we lost Rooney as well.

It's a fun story for the Jerry haters to tell, but it's bulls***.