Fields To Start In Left

daa84

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
I've been spending less time here lately, so fill me in, exactly what is everyone wanting Fields to play LF for???

Because Crede will likely come back next year. And given he is coming off back surgery, he wouldn't net much (or anything) in a trade this offseason. So what do you do with Crede and Fields? One suggestion has been to move Fields to LF, where the team needs help anyway.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
Fields in LF almost guarantees no Owens in CF next year. I like this move....well done Sox.

Not sure about this yet. All the speculation still seems to surround a free agent signing in CF, which obviously would make Owens a reserve if that happens.

Somewhere, Williams needs to add players who can get on base. With Fields likely holding down LF now, Dye in RF, Crede (hopefully at 3B), Richar at 2B, Konerko at 1B, Thome DHing, and AJ behind the plate, CF and SS are the only two positions that Kenny has left to find guys who can hit at top of the order, and the SS options aren't very good.

Kenny had better have something up his sleeve here.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)
What I don't understand is why it takes management so long to make these decisions. They knew Crede was expected back next season since the surgery, and that Fields would have to play LF if Crede is still on the 2008 roster (which I would expect to be the case given his diminished trade value, and managable salary) so I have to wonder why it took them so long to make this move IF this is there expected course of action for next season.

His long-term future is still most likely at 3B, so I'd bet they wanted him to play there primarily while getting used to the majors. Makes sense to me.

I too like the move of Fields to LF. He is a future LF anyway, we might as well have him make his mistakes now when nothing is at stake. This move does tell me that the Sox are planning on Joe Crede being in our plans for 2008, because Josh would be playing 3B if not. To me it is obvious because if the Sox are talking about bringing in an impact player, opening up another position at 3B, in addition to SS and CF, plus the bullpen, wouldn't make any sense.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
I too like the move of Fields to LF. He is a future LF anyway, we might as well have him make his mistakes now when nothing is at stake. This move does tell me that the Sox are planning on Joe Crede being in our plans for 2008, because Josh would be playing 3B if not. To me it is obvious because if the Sox are talking about bringing in an impact player, opening up another position at 3B, in addition to SS and CF, plus the bullpen, wouldn't make any sense.

You mean Andy Gonzalez isn't an impact player :unsure:

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
Why does it matter at this point ? Gonzalez isn't a long-term answer there, he'd only be keeping the spot warm for Crede, and Fields appears to be our LF answer for next season.

Because watching Andy Gonzalez play the sport of baseball is like using ketchup on a ham sandwich. Sure it tastes a little different, and it might not taste horrible that first time, but in the end, you never want to eat that sandwich again.

I can't wait to watch Crede pop up softly to the right side of the infield, hit .250 with no OBP and little power.

I, of course, have little faith that Crede's back will be alright enough for him to put up solid numbers and be an active contributor but it's not my four million or roster spot wasted next year. I'm just glad we've got so many players in the minors waiting for people to get injured or leave via free agency so that they can come in and contribute.

Exactly zero patience with young players; so he throws him into left, which is a longshot for him.

In 4 years of managing this club, Ozzie still hasn't turned a single young player into a regular. Not a single hitter has signficantly improved under this coaching staff.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
Exactly zero patience with young players; so he throws him into left, which is a longshot for him.

In 4 years of managing this club, Ozzie still hasn't turned a single young player into a regular. Not a single hitter has signficantly improved under this coaching staff.

Fields did play LF in winter ball. They might as well see if he can play out there. I like that this indicates Crede will be tendered. I'm sure the Sox have info on his recovery. If Crede's healthy, he's a pretty good player. Its better to see if Fields can play LF in games that really don't matter, instead of just throwing him into the fire. He doesn't need to be a gold glover out there, just competent, and if the Sox could acquire Torii Hunter, which is a longshot in my mind, it would even make it easier for him. If he can't play LF, maybe see what he can do at 2B next spring, especially if the Sox go with Richar. He and Richar could platoon, and he could occassionally spell Crede at 3rd.

Because Crede will likely come back next year. And given he is coming off back surgery, he wouldn't net much (or anything) in a trade this offseason. So what do you do with Crede and Fields? One suggestion has been to move Fields to LF, where the team needs help anyway.

Uh, last I heard everyone said he wouldn't be back because of his contract status. Has something changed or is it due to the surgery?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 11:46 PM)
Uh, last I heard everyone said he wouldn't be back because of his contract status. Has something changed or is it due to the surgery?

Here is the deal with his contract status, as far as I know it (others can fill in any blanks)... the Sox have "control" over him for one more year. As long as they tender an offer, either he can sign the offer, make a counter and negotiate, or they can go to arbitration. In any of those cases, he'd be under contract in 2008 with the Sox. The offer may only be one year, or its possible (though seemingly unlikely) the Sox might make him a multi-year offer. Now, the Sox could elect to decline even offering a contract - non-tender him. In that case, he can sign with any other team. But barring that, Crede does not become a true free agent until AFTER 2008.

Its possible they non-tender him, but this Fields move, his apparent strength of recovery and other indications seems to point to the Sox making him an offer of some kind. That means, if he's healthy in 2008, he'd start at 3B. Rumors are heavy that he may be traded during or just prior to the season, though. Or maybe he comes back very strong, and they sign an extension (my hope), but since he is a Boras client, that seems highly unlikely.

Is that more clear?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
I can't wait to watch Crede pop up softly to the right side of the infield, hit .250 with no OBP and little power.

I, of course, have little faith that Crede's back will be alright enough for him to put up solid numbers and be an active contributor but it's not my four million or roster spot wasted next year. I'm just glad we've got so many players in the minors waiting for people to get injured or leave via free agency so that they can come in and contribute.

Well I mean obviously it's all going to depend on how Crede's back recovers, and whether he can get back to 100% fitness.

But I mean even a not 100% healthy Joe Crede is going to put up better numbers then that. He's averaged around an .800 OPS before this season over the last 2, so his numbers weren't too shabby.

I think the Sox are basically going to roll the dice here, and hope that Crede gets back and can produce, so at the deadline he'll bring in a very nice package from a contender.

Long - term I think the 3B spot belongs to Fields, I can't see Crede getting re-signed a long - term deal, but the Sox don't want to give him away for nothing.

Will be interesting if they keep him, and if he has a real BAD start in April/May, whether or not they hang onto him, or cut their losses.

Perhaps someone can explain this to me...

If a player like Gonzalez is not part of the long term plan, which it seems he isn't... and you have guys like Sweeney, Bourgeois and even Collaro in the minors who MIGHT be part of the long term plan... and what you are looking to do is inject some new energy and get a look at some younger talent... why on earth would you NOT bring someone like that up instead of Gonzalez?

Is it an Arb clock thing? Because I think Sweeney's has already started, yes? Or am I misunderstanding? And aren't guys like Collaro and Bourgeois going to be exposed next year anyway? Is it that the 40-man is full (in which case, why not put a couple or three of the guys you KNOW won't be around next year through waivers)?

Is it that I am missing something, or is the organization just hesitant to do that sort of thing?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
But I mean even a not 100% healthy Joe Crede is going to put up better numbers then that. He's averaged around an .800 OPS before this season over the last 2, so his numbers weren't too shabby.

Joe Crede averaged an .800 OPS over the past 2 seasons in the same sense that Bronson Arroyo averaged a 3.85 ERA over the '05/'06 seasons -- mediocre for the 1st year and playing way above his career averages in year 2 -- 4.51 ERA/3.29 ERA. Crede hit .250 with no OBP and a little power in '05 but upped his OPS 70 points last season. It's fun and all to say he's averaged a .796 OPS over the past 2 seasons but that's incredibly misleading seeing as how he was mediocre in '05. There's really no reason to believe that if Crede is retained for next season that he'll put up anything better than a .750 OPS.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)
Perhaps someone can explain this to me...

If a player like Gonzalez is not part of the long term plan, which it seems he isn't... and you have guys like Sweeney, Bourgeois and even Collaro in the minors who MIGHT be part of the long term plan... and what you are looking to do is inject some new energy and get a look at some younger talent... why on earth would you NOT bring someone like that up instead of Gonzalez?

Is it an Arb clock thing? Because I think Sweeney's has already started, yes? Or am I misunderstanding? And aren't guys like Collaro and Bourgeois going to be exposed next year anyway? Is it that the 40-man is full (in which case, why not put a couple or three of the guys you KNOW won't be around next year through waivers)?

Is it that I am missing something, or is the organization just hesitant to do that sort of thing?

They are probably waiting until the rosters expand.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:00 AM)
They are probably waiting until the rosters expand.

Yeah but, why bother? I mean, unless they are trying to show of Gonzalez for a trade (which seems doubtful), I don't see why he is there over these other guys. To me, the time to make moves and send a message is a few days ago.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
I still think we're going to see Fields/Owens/Dye on day one.

Presumably, of course, that means day 2 will be Podsednik, Erstad, Dye, because you know, they gotta get at bats.

If Jerry Owens is the White Sox lead off hitter in 2008, KW would have failed again to fix the problem. He should not be leading off. He should not play everyday. He is a fourth OFer at best who should bat 8th or 9th.

While I won't base an opinion off of one botched fly ball in LF, this move is really curious to me.

First, the Crede situation. What are the odds he comes back in 2008 as the same defensive version of Joe Crede. No one here knows. I find it hard to come to grips with counting on Crede to be the same. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Let's say Crede has problems in rehab. Then you either bounce Fields back to 3B or acquire another 3B.

Seems to me the staff is expecting two iffy situations to work out well for the team.

Another thing that is odd to me. They drafted Fields as a 3B and have said all along he is insurance in case something happens to Crede, physical or contract reasons. Crede goes down with a physical problem and they plug Fields in for 3 months. Poof, now he is in LF.

Further let's suppose Crede comes back and plays well in 2008. Then you have the contract/Boras thing to deal with. What are the odds Crede would stay here. 50/50?

I don't know about this whole thing. From where I sit it seems easier to get a good LF than a good 3B, even with Fields growing pains.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
Further let's suppose Crede comes back and plays well in 2008. Then you have the contract/Boras thing to deal with. What are the odds Crede would stay here. 50/50?

I don't know about this whole thing. From where I sit it seems easier to get a good LF than a good 3B, even with Fields growing pains.

They are significantly lower than 50/50. If Joe is brought back for another season, it is being done IMO almost entirely to try to get something out of Joe, by giving him a chance to turn himself into a valuable trading deadline deal chip or into a guy who we'd get draft picks for if he walks. If Joe comes back and sucks for a month or two, then Joe winds up either dealt or DFA'd.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
Yeah but, why bother? I mean, unless they are trying to show of Gonzalez for a trade (which seems doubtful), I don't see why he is there over these other guys. To me, the time to make moves and send a message is a few days ago.

Gonzalez can play 3B, none of the others can. Also with Fields in LF, Owens in CF, and Dye in RF, it's unlikely that Sweeney would play much anyways. On top of that, he isn't playing particularly well either.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
Gonzalez can play 3B, none of the others can. Also with Fields in LF, Owens in CF, and Dye in RF, it's unlikely that Sweeney would play much anyways. On top of that, he isn't playing particularly well either.

Bourgeois plays about every infield position, and Cintron is back shortly. I am assuming Fields is still playing mostly 3B - but I could be wrong on that.

My point is, if we have to have a player struggling, why not make it someone with a future?