Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?

Hideaway Lights

Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the worst year in your Soxfandom?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
Oh, and someone needs to bring up 1994 as well.

Good point, I was pretty pissed about that one. That team was playing REALLY well, they might have won the title with the way that rotation was doing and Frank Thomas just being an absolute BEAST. That strike really hurt, especially since Reinsdorf was one of the owners that played a major part in it.

OMG that ill-Loaiza Twins game and Cotts at Yankee Stadium!!! LOL!!! I rember those... OOF.

I agree with the poster who said it's better to suck from the get-go then cruise until the end and then fall over a cliff, like we almost did in '05.

What exacerbates all this is... 2005. We thought that even if we don't repeat, we would at least see some years of being in the race and that we had finally overcome our 2nd place jinx in the then-Comedy Central. To be in dead last only two seasons later is brutal. And the blowouts--oh, the blowouts. I can't recall getting this shelled so often by so many teams, this weekend being the prime--but sadly not the only--example this season.

I'm used to what we always do: kick ass for most of the season, then fall apart in mid-August or September. '05 changed all that. So when we fell apart after the ASB last year that I WASN'T used to, and we've basically had the same season since July 2006.

The inability to put together any win streak past four sure sucks too, because then the week after week you're playing a zero-sum game.

Most painful? No, because watching the 2000 teams entire pitching staff get hurt and be swept by Seattle hurt more, as did having such a good team not even make it to October in 2003 and then getting the Cubs scare, and I think my childhood was scarred by 1994 and 1997. But it is without a doubt the worst and most pathetic Sox team I have ever seen, and it becomes even more depressing looking at our bleak immediate future.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Man you young-uns! This year doesn't even begin to measure the pain of the late 70's. There was a bit of a high with the hitmen of 77...but Veeck was trying to run the team on a shoestring...you'd check the attendance figures before the score. One of those seasons his wife designed the uniforms. Disco demolition. The team was a national laughing stock. I'd say 78 or 79...both last place finishes...one year they let Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble go because they couldn't afford them. The next they let Steve Stone and Wilbur Wood go. They traded fan favorite Eric Soderholm to get Ed Farmer...thus beginning the thread that would make him our broadcaster. And everyday in the Trib the story was "Will Sox move to St. Petersburg" "Will Sox move to Arizona". A horrible team. horrible talent. And the fear that I would forever after lose my team. Come on...WS, 90 win season, disappointing season. We've got a lot of talent and some prospects in the minors and Kenny Williams who could do anything in the off season.

88-89 sucked a lot worse.

The Sox were awful and had no talent.

At least this team has some talent.

I agree 100%. The 88 and 89 teams were pathetic to watch. Brian Gallagher lead us in hitting I think in 89. Brian FRIGGIN Gallagher!!!!

That's how pathetic we were! (The good news is in 1990 we won 94 games, and if there was a wildcard that year we could have done some serious damage...so we can always hope for next year!)

I will say this- this is the most disappointing team I can remember- with the 84 squad coming in at a close second.

Edited by JohnCangelosi

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
I don't even really watch the games any more. I have the TV on, sometimes, to see the score, and that's about it. If I'm not getting frustrated, I'm bored off my butt.

^^^^^^^

I survived being a Sox fan through the entire 80s (not counting '83 of course). Back then, the Royals were decent and there were no Devil Rays to pick on. So I've been through it before. I just never thought I'd have to go through it again. If it's not frustration, its boredom, laughing at the mere pathetic play of the team or just waiting for damn season to end.

I started following the White Sox in the early 90's while I was in elementary school. I'd have to say that 2003 was easily the worst year for me. This year sucks, but 2003 sucked alot worse. That team should have won it all, IMO

Yes, this is the worse season I have ever had to go through. I'm still young though, but I don't know if that matters.

One thing that really makes this worse than the record is the fact that last year we were, by talent, one of the best in the game. We were the World Series Champions in 2005! Then this year comes and our farm system doesn't do jack s*** to help us. Everything from OF's to pitching. I mean... Andy Gonzalez starting as many games as he has...

I really wish Anderson would have not got injured though. He was raking in AAA and if there was a year for him, under managements eyes, to get playing time, this was it.

I'm only 17 and I don't remember much before the 2000 season so I only have about 8 years to go off of and i would say it is a toss up between this year and 03. This year at least I was able to give up in June and know we had no chance. 2003 was AWFUL! If you look back on that team they were LOADED with talent and lost to what i consider a crappy Twins team (talent wise). That team teased all season long and then fell flat on their faces, and on top of that the Cubs won their division. I believe the only reason that team missed the playoffs was because of poor fundementals and a lack of will to win, and that falls squarely on the manager. FU Manuel

QUOTE(GOD @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
I'm only 17 and I don't remember much before the 2000 season so I only have about 8 years to go off of and i would say it is a toss up between this year and 03. This year at least I was able to give up in June and know we had no chance. 2003 was AWFUL! If you look back on that team they were LOADED with talent and lost to what i consider a crappy Twins team (talent wise). That team teased all season long and then fell flat on their faces, and on top of that the Cubs won their division. I believe the only reason that team missed the playoffs was because of poor fundementals and a lack of will to win, and that falls squarely on the manager. FU Manuel

Yeah... no one needs a 5th starter to make the playoffs...

I find I still enjoy watching and listening to the games even though the team is not doing well. The worst year in my fandom was 1994, the strike year. Although the White Sox played well, there were no playoffs or World Series. The last game of the season was August 10, and not another game to watch until the end of April 1995.

No matter how poorly the White Sox look in the standings, it's still a lot better than no baseball.

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
Man you young-uns! This year doesn't even begin to measure the pain of the late 70's. There was a bit of a high with the hitmen of 77...but Veeck was trying to run the team on a shoestring...you'd check the attendance figures before the score. One of those seasons his wife designed the uniforms. Disco demolition. The team was a national laughing stock. I'd say 78 or 79...both last place finishes...one year they let Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble go because they couldn't afford them. The next they let Steve Stone and Wilbur Wood go. They traded fan favorite Eric Soderholm to get Ed Farmer...thus beginning the thread that would make him our broadcaster. And everyday in the Trib the story was "Will Sox move to St. Petersburg" "Will Sox move to Arizona". A horrible team. horrible talent. And the fear that I would forever after lose my team. Come on...WS, 90 win season, disappointing season. We've got a lot of talent and some prospects in the minors and Kenny Williams who could do anything in the off season.
Those 78, 79 and 80 teams were brutal, but Harry and Jimmy kept fan interest high. I never had so much "fun at the old ball park" as I did in those days. Until 05 of course. There were no rumors about St. Petersburg or Arizona. The AL did have the Sox ticketed to Seattle after the 75 season, and they surely would have moved there had not Veeck come to the rescue at the last possible moment. In 79 or 80 there were rumors that Veeck would sell to Marvin Davis who would then move the team to Denver. When it initially looked like Edward DeBartolo Sr. would get the club for the 81 season, there were brief rumors he wanted to move the team to New Orleans. I remember Harry Caray's interview with him in early 81 when he expressed enthusiasm about building a winner in Chicago. He did bring championships to the 49ers and the first Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh. The St. Petersburg thing didn't come up until the mid and late 80s. I never remember rumors about Arizona, and I don't think that was even a possibility of a team there until Colangelo put his group together in the mid and late 90s. The period from 1968-1980 produced only two winning seasons, but lots of fan interest, (if not always great attendance) and a carnival atmosphere at old Comiskey from 72 on. Today we're looking at an uncertain future at best, and we have a dreadful radio team, and a not so hot pair in the TV booth. Edited by Yossarian

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 07:26 AM)
Today we're looking at an uncertain future at best, and we have a dreadful radio team, and a not so hot pair in the TV booth.

I agree. I don't subscribe to the radio broadcasts anymore and the TV team is horrible. It's bad enough that the team is awful, but those guys, especially DJ, make watching the games even worse. His inane banter is taking years off my life--running his fingers down a blackboard would be preferable. Earlier this year, it seemed that he improved and at least provided some new information. Now, it's the same drivel game after game. It's incredible that the organization allows him to broadcast their games.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
Those 78, 79 and 80 teams were brutal, but Harry and Jimmy kept fan interest high. I never had so much "fun at the old ball park" as I did in those days. Until 05 of course. There were no rumors about St. Petersburg or Arizona. The AL did have the Sox ticketed to Seattle after the 75 season, and they surely would have moved there had not Veeck come to the rescue at the last possible moment. In 79 or 80 there were rumors that Veeck would sell to Marvin Davis who would then move the team to Denver. When it initially looked like Edward DeBartolo Sr. would get the club for the 81 season, there were brief rumors he wanted to move the team to New Orleans. I remember Harry Caray's interview with him in early 81 when he expressed enthusiasm about building a winner in Chicago. He did bring championships to the 49ers and the first Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh. The St. Petersburg thing didn't come up until the mid and late 80s. I never remember rumors about Arizona, and I don't think that was even a possibility of a team there until Colangelo put his group together in the mid and late 90s. The period from 1968-1980 produced only two winning seasons, but lots of fan interest, (if not always great attendance) and a carnival atmosphere at old Comiskey from 72 on. Today we're looking at an uncertain future at best, and we have a dreadful radio team, and a not so hot pair in the TV booth.

Man...I did love Harry...as a kid every fly ball was to the warning track. And I also remember old Comisky with half the seats being obstructed view...still there was something romantic about it. But while you may have been having fun...I just never had any sense of hope that the team would be much better than last place. Bill Veeck couldn't afford anything. We signed no free agents and lost many. Attendance was crappy. From 75 to 80 they finished 5th, 6th, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 5th. Even the famed south side hitmen team of 77 (the third place finsh) finished a dozen games out. That 79 team Chet Lemon led the team with 17 homers. The 80 team it was Wayne Nordhagen with 15. And for a decade the Sox were the team everyone mentioned when talk was about a team moving.

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Man...I did love Harry...as a kid every fly ball was to the warning track.

Isn't it odd how something that made Harry lovable is now reviled when Hawk says "GET UP! STRETCH!!" for warning track flyballs?

Not saying that you personally said that (I don't know your feelings on Hawk), but many people do seem to hate when he says that.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Isn't it odd how something that made Harry lovable is now reviled when Hawk says "GET UP! STRETCH!!" for warning track flyballs?

Not saying that you personally said that (I don't know your feelings on Hawk), but many people do seem to hate when he says that.

I love Hawk. But I think he needs a good partner. I really liked when it was he and Paciorek...they were goofy. He and DJ was bad. Same with Singleton...because I think he bullies them. I think he and Steve Stone could be great. Still, there is a difference between being a kid and listening and being a man. Not sure if it was cub hatred...but by the time Harry went to the Cubs I was tired of his shtick. He seemed drunken buffoon by the end...though I suspect if you asked a Cubs fan that was 10 at the time they loved Harry like I did when I was ten.

Pros about Hawk: love the homerun call (my all-time favorite), and when he goes nuts when we make a really good play

Cons: everything else.

DJ, yes, does disintegrate into "schwetty balls"-like inanity with the two of them up there, but I've heard him without Hawk and he is NOTICEABLY more animated and interesting.

Having Stoney in the booth for that week just showed how we could have greatness. Although I'd offset Stoney's interesting-but-flatline delivery with somebody a bit more excitable, or more of a loose cannon.

But I'm tired of Hawk's hillbilly "wisdom" and sayings in... Chicago, where he never played. Nobody gives a crap about the BoSox, dude, especially back before power windows. Or the lackey-ism when the team is blowing chunks, like since July '06. Reinsdorf hated Harry because Harry would lay into the team--something we'll never get with the Hawkeroo.

Replacing our entire broadcast team???????? Yesss.

RANT CONCLUDED.

Edited by LVSoxFan