2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand wanting to get rid of Shawn Marion... but that Shaq contract ($20 mill per for two seasons after this one) is killer... they could have done better I would think.

That is unless they think Shaq can magically be 5 years younger.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
Well, I'm actually surprised to see the Suns taking on salary for once. What do people think the Suns will try to do with that $20 million expiring contract at the end of 2009?

it isn't over until the end of 2010 so by then the team will be in shambles like Miami is right now

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
it isn't over until the end of 2010 so by then the team will be in shambles like Miami is right now

It's 2010? Hmmm, that's certainly interesting. That's the opt-out year for Wade, Lebron and Melo. When does Nash's contract end?

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
It's 2010? Hmmm, that's certainly interesting. That's the opt-out year for Wade, Lebron and Melo. When does Nash's contract end?

That was my thinking. They've set themselves up to pickup anyone of those stars.

Someone was saying as well, the Suns don't exactly play a 5 man fast break.

So I guess whenever they want to play half court, they'll go to Shaq, when they play a 3 or 4 man fast break, they'll go to Amare, Nash etc.

If Shaq is properly motivated and actually healthy, I can actually see this move paying off when they have to play the Lakers, Mavs and Spurs in a playoff series.

1 other thing as well, Shawn Marion is so dependant on Steve Nash.

Marion's not a guy who can really create his own shot. So I wonder how he'll do in Miami. They've got Jason Williams to distribute the ball, but not much else.

But still Wade, Marion and the upcoming early draft pick (or they could trade that for a star, I wonder if they would actually look at Kidd, as crazy as that sounds, Riley doesn't want to re-build), is a pretty decent nucleus.

We know Riley is insane, but if he tries anything with this mess and impending free agent hiatus, he is officially insane.

After this season Shawn Marion, Jason Williams, Ricky Davis, Earl Barron, Chris Quinn, Smush Parker, and even Dorell Wright are UFA, player options, or RFA's at the end of the season.

As a Heat fan, I would love to see a rotation of

PG. Derrick Rose, Marcus Banks

SG. Wade/DQ Cook

SF. Wright/2nd round draft pick

PF. Haslem/Alexander Johnson

C. Jermaine O'Neal/Blount

Well Ben's not exactly that much use for Phoenix. He can't score.

At least Shaq can still probably dominate down low. And I think Phoenix were really after for a big center so that they could play Amare at PF.

Would the Bulls even do Marion for Wallace? Marion and Banks for Thomas and Wallace?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
Well Ben's not exactly that much use for Phoenix. He can't score.

At least Shaq can still probably dominate down low. And I think Phoenix were really after for a big center so that they could play Amare at PF.

Would the Bulls even do Marion for Wallace? Marion and Banks for Thomas and Wallace?

They don't need more scoring. And dominating down low is what STAT is for.

big ben wouldn't slow them down as much as shaq will and would provide a decent defensive presence, which that team has always needed more of.

Also, pax is an idiot.

Basically, I think the Suns kinda forced this deal following the Lakers addition of Gasol. Diaw vs Odom, Amare vs Gasol, Shaq vs Bynum. They match up really well now. Then obviously you have Fisher/Kobe with Nash/Bell.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)
They don't need more scoring. And dominating down low is what STAT is for.

big ben wouldn't slow them down as much as shaq will and would provide a decent defensive presence, which that team has always needed more of.

Also, pax is an idiot.

Well, if they wanted a defensive presence, they would of just kept Kurt Thomas to begin with IMHO.

Certainly better than giving up a real good talent in Marion for an aging bigman who can't score. At least with Shaq you know he can still dominate when healthy.

I dunno, I guess I'm just trying to see the logic on their end (although it's quite hard). Playing a fast break style is probably never going to win you a championship. Maybe Steve Kerr has convinced Mike D'Antoni of this, and when it comes to the playoffs, they'll play more of a half court offense with Shaq anchoring the middle, Amare and Nash playing the pick and roll, and Diaw, Bell, Hill and Barbos on the wings able to shoot the jumper, or cut into the lane.

And agreed on Paxson (mainly because of not drafting Iguodala, Roy or Aldridge).

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
Basically, I think the Suns kinda forced this deal following the Lakers addition of Gasol. Diaw vs Odom, Amare vs Gasol, Shaq vs Bynum. They match up really well now. Then obviously you have Fisher/Kobe with Nash/Bell.

They both have great teams right now. I think My W's will suprise in the playoffs though this season and beat one of them.

C-webb makes his debut against you guys tomarow

Webber's pretty much got nothing left.

Charles Rosen from Foxsports.com wrote up a really good piece on what he'll have to offer. Basically the conclusion was Nelson will be lucky to get more than 5 mins a game out of him.

You want Jermaine O'Neal with a bum knee Palehosefan?

That's quite a risk in itself.

I was under the impression that he was going to shut it down and rehab the rest of this season.

It was either O'Neal or Okafor at C, and I wouldn't want to see an undersized lineup of Haslem and Okafor beside each other.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 05:18 PM)
Webber's pretty much got nothing left.

Charles Rosen from Foxsports.com wrote up a really good piece on what he'll have to offer. Basically the conclusion was Nelson will be lucky to get more than 5 mins a game out of him.

WOW, five a game? I highly doubt that as Nellie has already said webb can come in and start some games if the match up is right.

How often is that though?

The Warriors have Harrington at PF and Biedrins at C. When they go small, Harrington moves to C and Biedrins goes to the bench.

I find it hard to believe that Webber would be a better option than Harrington at their respective points of their careers.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
How often is that though?

The Warriors have Harrington at PF and Biedrins at C. When they go small, Harrington moves to C and Biedrins goes to the bench.

I find it hard to believe that Webber would be a better option than Harrington at their respective points of their careers.

Al is the three point guy and webb is the low post guy who can bang with the bigger guys. I've also heard some rumblings about GS going after Artest.