2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the three games Tyrus has played 30-plus minutes this season, he's averaging 17 points, 12 boards, two steals and two-plus blocks per game.

Though he may be one of the dumbest players in the NBA as far as basketball IQ goes, it seems that Tyrus can be productive when given minutes. Unfortunately, I think the opposition is normally quite productive as well when Tyrus is out there. At this point in this season though, it's time to just give Tyrus the minutes to either build his trade value or to just get him consistent experience; this season will be a waste without getting the kids going.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
In the three games Tyrus has played 30-plus minutes this season, he's averaging 17 points, 12 boards, two steals and two-plus blocks per game.

Though he may be one of the dumbest players in the NBA as far as basketball IQ goes, it seems that Tyrus can be productive when given minutes. Unfortunately, I think the opposition is normally quite productive as well when Tyrus is out there. At this point in this season though, it's time to just give Tyrus the minutes to either build his trade value or to just get him consistent experience; this season will be a waste without getting the kids going.

His playing time is basically directly correlated with his level of play that day, if he's not playing smart/productive ball he gets yanked an awful lot sooner than the veteran players. Even if you drop the threshold to 20 minutes a game (13 of them) he's averaging a pretty decent 9.7 points, 7.9 rebounds, 1.4 steals, and 1.8 blocks. It's essentially filtering out all of the crappy/inconsistent play.

I don't know how much you can increase his trade value by doing that. His value is in his potential, not his current level of production. We also saw how inconsistent he can be with heavy minutes throughout the first month of the season. Development is another story, though he doesn't seem to be making ground there either. Recently he's turned into a jump-shooter, which is about the worst change in his game he can make considering he's barely shooting 30% from the field in January.

C-webb officially signed today with the warriors per espn,sac bee

He will give My dubs a low post presence, leadership but the the thing i worry about with him is he can't run very well however nellie is the ultimate match up guy so he'll find a way to work in webb.

QUOTE(A's fan @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
C-webb officially signed today with the warriors per espn,sac bee

He will give My dubs a low post presence, leadership but the the thing i worry about with him is he can't run very well however nellie is the ultimate match up guy so he'll find a way to work in webb.

Yeah the Warriors knocked off the Hornets last night. It's unfortunate that 2 good teams are going to be left out of the playoffs in the Western Conference. Even Sacramento would probably make it if they were in the Eastern Conference. I don't think the Blazers are going to make it though, and the Rockets won't make it unless they start changing their ways and get healthy.

I watch a lot of basketball so I don't confuse them but I can easily see how they could confuse people. New Oreleans used to be in Charlotte, Charlotte is a new team, Memphis is new to their location as well, plus they're in the same division as New Orleans.

When I was younger I used to confuse the San Francisco Giants and the San Deigo Padres.

Isn't it sad that the Bulls scored 67 points against Minnesota, lost, and yet they're still only about 2 games out of 8th place in the East.

And Magic Johnson thinks the Knicks will make the playoffs without Starbury now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
Isn't it sad that the Bulls scored 67 points against Minnesota, lost, and yet they're still only about 2 games out of 8th place in the East.

And Magic Johnson thinks the Knicks will make the playoffs without Starbury now.

It is pretty sad, but the best the current group they're throwing out there is going to do is tred water. With Deng and Gordon out they really don't have enough scorers.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 04:46 PM)
It is pretty sad, but the best the current group they're throwing out there is going to do is tred water. With Deng and Gordon out they really don't have enough scorers.

A part of me would actually rather just see the Bulls basically suck the rest of the way and lose as many games as possible with the strength of this years draft.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
A part of me would actually rather just see the Bulls basically suck the rest of the way and lose as many games as possible with the strength of this years draft.

For the 10 minutes a game that our next #1 pick actually plays, if he's lucky, I'm sure he'll help.

The problem is that none of these guys are great fits for the Bulls, every guy they could possibly draft would require some house cleaning to get them some playing time, some of them A LOT of house cleaning. They have reasonably young guys at every position that are decent but not stellar.

Unless they trade 3 guys up front they don't really have enough room for a project like Jordan or Thabeet or a non-elite big like Lopez or Hibbert (I do like Speights, but that's a lot of work for Pax to do). Even if you deal Noc and Smith you've only got around 65 minutes total for Noah/Tyrus/Gray/new guy with Wallace probably being stuck on our roster. If they take a perimeter player they probably have to deal Hinrich (mostly just if it's Rose) or Gordon, otherwise those two and Thabo take up basically all the guard minutes. They also basically can't take Donte Green because he's a pure SF and they're unlikely to move Deng.

So what does that mean they CAN do? Well, take Beasley and deal Noc and Smith for some combination of expiring deals, a combo guard (ideally a bit of a project so you don't need to create another 20 minutes) and/or future picks. Those two are playing about 45 minutes (well, their averages are higher because of Deng being out), Beasley gets whatever minutes Deng doesn't at the 3 and about another 20 or so at PF, leaving another 10 minutes or so more than normal for the other young bigs. Obviously you've gotta get pretty damn lucky for that. You also gotta get damn lucky for Rose, who I'd imagine you'd unload Hinrich to make room for (I can't see them not playing him if they get him). The same kind of goes for Bayliss, he's a shoot-first PG. Or, you take Gordon or Mayo and unload Gordon. Or you end up with Budinger or Batum and end up dealing Noc to open up some time at SF and pick up whatever Thabo doesn't backing up at the two and letting them develop a bit.

Bottom line is basically anything they do involves dealing some current pieces if they want their pick to get more than token minutes. Given that it's pretty obvious that they still need some help I would hope they try to get someone that can help now and that whoever it is doesn't get buried on the bench. Of course all of that assumes that they don't make any trades between now and then.

The Memphis Grizzlies have reportedly traded big man Pau Gasol to the Lakers for F/C Kwame Brown, G Javaris Crittenton and first-round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Gasol's name had not come up much lately in trade talks, but this is big news for the Lakers, as he can play center until Andrew Bynum returns from a knee injury, then slide over to power forward. Darko Milicic, Stromile Swift, Hakim Warrick and even Juan Carlos Navarro should all see a boost in fantasy value for Memphis with this news. Gasol has missed three of his last four games with a back injury, but it must not be too serious if the Lakers were willing to trade for him. Although, getting rid of Kwame was probably intriguing to them, regardless of how Gasol's back is feeling. Feb. 1 - 2:36 pm et

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
The Memphis Grizzlies have reportedly traded big man Pau Gasol to the Lakers for F/C Kwame Brown, G Javaris Crittenton and first-round picks in 2008 and 2010.

Gasol's name had not come up much lately in trade talks, but this is big news for the Lakers, as he can play center until Andrew Bynum returns from a knee injury, then slide over to power forward. Darko Milicic, Stromile Swift, Hakim Warrick and even Juan Carlos Navarro should all see a boost in fantasy value for Memphis with this news. Gasol has missed three of his last four games with a back injury, but it must not be too serious if the Lakers were willing to trade for him. Although, getting rid of Kwame was probably intriguing to them, regardless of how Gasol's back is feeling. Feb. 1 - 2:36 pm et

That trade is just awful for Memphis. Someone please explain how the Bulls could not top that deal?

That is a pretty pitiful deal for the Grizzlies, those are going to be two late first round picks and they already have two young point guards with Conley and Lowry.

I've got to assume two things there:

1) They were desperate to get cap space, which you do get with Brown's expiring contract.

2) The Bulls weren't offering Noah or Thomas in a deal, which definitely annoys me. That seems to suggest that one of the bigs, some future picks and financial filler (Duhon/Khryapa/sign and trade with Brown) would have done it, and that's just bogus. You could have had a lineup with Hinrich/Gordon/Deng/Wallace or Smith/Gasol and still had Thabo, Nocioni, the other veteran big, and Noah or Tyrus on the bench. s*** man...

The only excuse I can think of is the Bulls/Brown/Memphis not being able to agree on a large enough 1 year sign and trade deal, and that seems like it'd be pretty minor.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

The Lakers are going to be hard to beat. Fisher, Bryant, Odem, Gasol, Bynum as starters. Farmar, Turiaf, Walton, Radmanovic, Vujacic off the bench. The Lakers were already a deep team, they're now with the elites of San Antonio, Phoenix, and Dallas. What a terrible trade for Memphis. This reminds me of how the Cubs used to screw the Pirates over in 2003.

OK, I officially hate John Paxson. The Bulls could have dealt much more and still had a very respectable team to put around Gasol.

The Lakers could win the Championship THIS year with that team once Bynum gets back. They had the best record in the Western Conference before Bynum went down.