2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
OK, I officially hate John Paxson. The Bulls could have dealt much more and still had a very respectable team to put around Gasol.

The Lakers could win the Championship THIS year with that team once Bynum gets back. They had the best record in the Western Conference before Bynum went down.

Unless Paxson has his eye on someone else and doesn't want Gasol he should be ashamed. The Lakers just traded their junk for Gasol.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction.

The Lakers are going to trade Lamar Odom in a deal for Jason Kidd. Lakers have always wanted him, he's always wanted them.

It's going to happen.

C Bynum

PF Gasol

SF Walton

SG Bryant

PG Kidd

It's going to happen.

How much is Odom making compared to Kidd though?

I think they're pretty good where they are now, Odom sliding over to SF creates some serious mismatch problems. Fisher / Farmer is a pretty decent PG combo ATM, although obviously Kidd would make it better.

And yes, I think if the Lakers can stay completely healthy, they'll win the West. Gasol and Bynum are going to be so hard to stop down low.

And as for the trade, Memphis are desperate for expiring contracts, as shown by the 2 deals today. They need to rebuild.

The Darko Milicic signing hasn't paid off, and they need runners if they're going to utilise Marc Iavaroni's offense.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 06:04 PM)
The trade sucks, but they could offer one thing that we could not. Salary cap relief.

The Bulls could have done that if they wanted to. They could have re-upped with PJ Brown, who they still had the rights to, and used him as cap relief.

Truehoop has an interview with things from the Memphis side. See if you buy it.

Wallace has long been a refreshingly candidly interview. He says, for instance, that Marc Gasol "has emerged as a real force in European basketball ... that I believe would have been a first-round pick this year."

On his three-headed point-guard situation with Mike Conley, Jr., Kyle Lowry, and Javaris Crittenton: "We're gonna lock these three guys in a room and see which two emerge, and then we'll trade somebody at some point."

He also adds that the 2008 pick is top-three protected and the 2010 pick is top-six.

TrueHoop reader Sean first let me know about this interview, and points out that if you believe what Wallace says about Marc Gasol, then essentially the Grizzlies got four first-rounders, and a mountain of cap space, for Pau Gasol.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 06:53 PM)
I could see the Lakers getting Kidd. But I also think the Mavs and Cavs are going to do a deal before the trade deadline, both want Kidd as well.

The Mavs would actually be kinda silly to do that deal, because Devin Harris is pretty much putting up better numbers than Kidd already. The Cavs would be a fine fit...if they had anything to trade that the Nets might actually want.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
The Mavs would actually be kinda silly to do that deal, because Devin Harris is pretty much putting up better numbers than Kidd already. The Cavs would be a fine fit...if they had anything to trade that the Nets might actually want.

Well I don't think the Mavs should trade for Kidd either, I'm just saying what I've heard. I do think the Mavs will try to make some move though.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
Well I don't think the Mavs should trade for Kidd either, I'm just saying what I've heard. I do think the Mavs will try to make some move though.

What we really need is for the Mavs or Suns to freak out when they see this deal and then decide..."hmmm, we really need another defensive stopper inside so that we're not overwhelmed when we play the Lakers. Hey, the Bulls might want to move that Wallace dude, and man, 2 years ago he was the DPOY!"

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
What we really need is for the Mavs or Suns to freak out when they see this deal and then decide..."hmmm, we really need another defensive stopper inside so that we're not overwhelmed when we play the Lakers. Hey, the Bulls might want to move that Wallace dude, and man, 2 years ago he was the DPOY!"

haha yeah that'd help the Bulls.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 08:52 PM)

On his three-headed point-guard situation with Mike Conley, Jr., Kyle Lowry, and Javaris Crittenton: "We're gonna lock these three guys in a room and see which two emerge, and then we'll trade somebody at some point."

Please let it be Conley Jr. .. but I'm really gonna guess its going to be Lowry and Crittenton locked in a room and Conley watching to see who will be the second guy walking out with him

So does anyone else think Hedo Turkoglu deserved a bench spot on the All - Star Team?

Granted his numbers aren't as good as say a Joe Johnson, but he plays on a winning team, and right now I don't know if there's many better players in the 4th quarter. He's single handledy won us a few games in those situations.

And the Magic have won 7 of 8 and are getting back on track after a bit of a slump. Looking good things for 3rd in the East.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
Anybody want Shaq?

Come on, please.

Ok fine, maybe you will take Pat Riley? No?

Some guy/kid calls the Score every day and states his case that the Bulls need to trade Wallace-Hinrich-Gordon-Deng for Shaq. Last time he called Boers and Bernstein they laughed him off the air

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
Some guy/kid calls the Score every day and states his case that the Bulls need to trade Wallace-Hinrich-Gordon-Deng for Shaq. Last time he called Boers and Bernstein they laughed him off the air

:lol: That is not a show to call into with outlandish suggestions.You better be educated,precise and have a well thought out statement for their show or they will let you know how much of an ass you are.Kind of like Soxtalk :D .

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 10:15 AM)
:lol: That is not a show to call into with outlandish suggestions.You better be educated,precise and have a well thought out statement for their show or they will let you know how much of an ass you are.Kind of like Soxtalk :D .

I completely agree. If you are going to call that show to argue or make a remark, you better be ready for them or else they will come at you from an angle you never expected

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 04:26 AM)
So does anyone else think Hedo Turkoglu deserved a bench spot on the All - Star Team?

Granted his numbers aren't as good as say a Joe Johnson, but he plays on a winning team, and right now I don't know if there's many better players in the 4th quarter. He's single handledy won us a few games in those situations.

And the Magic have won 7 of 8 and are getting back on track after a bit of a slump. Looking good things for 3rd in the East.

Agreed, while we're at it. Jose Calderon also got snubbed, as well as Marcus Camby and Baron Davis.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 05:59 AM)
I always thought the NBA All Star teams could expand their rosters by 2 or so. Legit exhibition.

Baron Davis is the biggest snub ever. If you add Hedo, who do you take off?

Butler or Jamison, probably the latter.

Also palehosefan, there's a rumor of Hoopsworld about a Shaq for Diaw and Marion deal. Perhaps Robert Sarver is desperate to cut costs, or Phoenix has just grown tired of Marion and wants to unload Diaw's contract as well.