2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Marvin is ready to breakout this year at 21 years old. He was at 13 ppg and 5 rpg last year, and should up those to closer to 17-18 ppg and 7 rpg. He was great in preseason, game has matured.

Perhaps, but with the other 80 first round picks they've taken including the recently drafted Al Horford, he'll struggle to get as many looks as you are hoping for... If Horford comes on, the shots are going to go to Johnson, Smith, Horford before the disappointing Marvin Williams.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 05:29 AM)
Question, would you take Deron Williams if you were building a team as your PG right now, over say a Chris Paul?

Personally, I'd would LOVE Deron on the Magic. He's got the size to handle anyone defensively, yet he's atheltic enough to create his own shot and dish off the rock.

Amazing how Williams and Paul went 3 and 4, and the 2 guys in front of them in Bogut and Williams really haven't done anything.

When you consider the age of Kidd and Nash, it's getting to the point where I think that in terms of building a team long term, Deron Williams might be the #1 pick in terms of point guards, certainly top 3 as he'd rival that spot with Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups IMO. The Jazz still overpaid to get Deron instead of Chris Paul with as good as CP3 is, but Deron is the superior player. As for the picks ahead of them, Bogut is a non-American big man which is always a big risk of course, and Marvin Williams was the 6th man on his college team the only year he played out of HS. I think Marvin Williams still could be a very good player, but to me Bogut looks like a Chris Kaman type in terms of his career path.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
You think Chris Paul is better than Deron Williams after last years playoffs?

You must think austin croshere is a superstar...

I don't base things on a few playoff games. He had a breakout year and a very nice playoff run, but Paul had an injury-plagued season and has shown flashes of something more. Both are very good PGs and the future at the position.

I know you're a huge illinois homer, but to say he's clearly superior at this point is very much a stretch.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
Marvin is ready to breakout this year at 21 years old. He was at 13 ppg and 5 rpg last year, and should up those to closer to 17-18 ppg and 7 rpg. He was great in preseason, game has matured.

Same break-out talk as last year. We shall see...

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
I'm calling it while it looks crazy--the Pacers are going to be in the playoffs.

Ok well I'm picking Orlando to be top 4 in the East this season.

The Dwight - Rashard combo looks good, very good.

And Dwight's actually hitting his free throws now. That alone is worth an extra 4-5 points to the Magic from last season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 08:43 PM)

And Dwight's actually hitting his free throws now. That alone is worth an extra 4-5 points to the Magic from last season.

I like the Magic as well. Not sure about top 4, but wouldn't be surprised. Nobody ever talks about Jameer Nelson.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
Ben Wallace is the most useless, overpaid player in the history of the NBA.

Overpaid, probably, but he is far from useless. He showed in the playoffs why we need him. He wasn't the only one to have a bad game tonight.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
Ben Wallace is the most useless, overpaid player in the history of the NBA.

That contract was always going to hurt after the 1st season or 2.

So I can see why the Bulls were trying to include him in the Kobe deal.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 12:02 AM)
Durant's going to be a very good player but I can see a lot of these type of games this season from him.

Damien Wilkins (Dominique's nephew) was magical this evening... I really like that Seattle team actually, and think they will be very sick in 2008-09 and they will get the 8 seed this year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 31, 2007 -> 08:43 PM)

When dont you pick them to be one of the best teams in the east? Homer!!!!

On another note, AI looked beyond impressive last night. If that teams clicks, they will be VERY dangerous.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)
Damien Wilkins (Dominique's nephew) was magical this evening... I really like that Seattle team actually, and think they will be very sick in 2008-09 and they will get the 8 seed this year.

They better step up their defense considerably if that is to happen. They don't have one guy that you can call a good defender right now (though Durant and Green have potential). They are also very young, which makes them a bit more turnover prone and makes it harder for them to close out games, as you saw tonight.

The conference is considerably softer after the top 6, but New Orleans and Memphis both look a bit better than them (actually, the Hornets are probably a playoff lock unless Paul gets hurt again), and until Baron Davis gets hurt you can say the same for Golden State.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

"Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye come stay with me in San Diego. They're both from Phoenix. And we can't really go to Phoenix in the off-season, because it's so dang hot. So they come out here. So does Brian Cook and Kareem Rush. We workout in the morning and afternoon and, at night, we just kind of hang out and have fun ... We bought a bunch of paintball guns and we went terrorizing the neighborhood. We weren't going after houses, but we went to the little park down the street and we'd get teams of four-on-four, until we got chased off by the neighbors. They called the cops, so we had to do a getaway. You might not even want to put that in print. In case we're fugitives."
Luke Walton