2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
So tell how us you really feel. :lol:

Look, I make a lot of dumb arguments, I'm wrong a lot, and quite frankly I'm often an idiot. But the people who can possibly see this group of players winning a title, I honesty have no idea what games they watch. The fact this team is as good as they are every year is a testament to Skiles coaching skill over an 82 game season and the character of the players, but talent wins championships and the Bulls are nowhere near having enough of it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
Look, I make a lot of dumb arguments, I'm wrong a lot, and quite frankly I'm often an idiot. But the people who can possibly see this group of players winning a title, I honesty have no idea what games they watch. The fact this team is as good as they are every year is a testament to Skiles coaching skill over an 82 game season and the character of the players, but talent wins championships and the Bulls are nowhere near having enough of it.

collectively they have plenty of talent without having a true go-to guy. And in all reality, they most likely wont win an NBA title. But they most definatley have the chance to make it to the finals. Last season if they get by Detroit, they go to the finals. Collectively they play defense as good if not better than most of the teams in the East. With Deng's development, Tyrus's apparent skill set evolving, and maybe another piece here or there, they could very well make a deep run into the playoffs. I understand that its easy to be extremely critical right now as they are starting out slow, but this team hasnt nearly lived up to the potential yet.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
collectively they have plenty of talent without having a true go-to guy. And in all reality, they most likely wont win an NBA title. But they most definatley have the chance to make it to the finals. Last season if they get by Detroit, they go to the finals. Collectively they play defense as good if not better than most of the teams in the East. With Deng's development, Tyrus's apparent skill set evolving, and maybe another piece here or there, they could very well make a deep run into the playoffs. I understand that its easy to be extremely critical right now as they are starting out slow, but this team hasnt nearly lived up to the potential yet.

Tyrus and Deng are the only 2 players that could be really good on this team. If you can keep those 2 and acquire a big time player somehow, then your getting somewhere. But it's even iffy on Tyrus and Deng, but at least they COULD get championship good I suppose. It's just relying on a guy with a poor work ethic and another who's a poor athlete makes me nervous.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 03:25 PM)
Tyrus and Deng are the only 2 players that could be really good on this team. If you can keep those 2 and acquire a big time player somehow, then your getting somewhere. But it's even iffy on Tyrus and Deng, but at least they COULD get championship good I suppose. It's just relying on a guy with a poor work ethic and another who's a poor athlete makes me nervous.

I havent been able to find anything that has come from the Bulls brass indicating that Tyrus Thomas has a poor work ethic(and you know Skiles would rip him up), the only place I have heard it is through the media, and that is only because he didnt come to Chicago for his offseason workouts. This doesnt mean he has a poor work ethic, for all we know he was in the gym for 12 hours a day and going over tape for the rest of the day, we just dont know.

To assume he has a poor work ethic is wrong if you ask me. He is still young and raw, and he is still learning. There is plenty of gaps in his learning curve right now, but he still has a world of talent to make up for those gaps. The kid went from a street baller 4 years ago, to a starter on his high school basketball team, to a starter on his college basketball team which was the runner-up to the national champs( he was a huge reason for that), to a top 5 draft pick, and now he is a starter his second year into the league. If his work ethic was really that bad, I think his career path would look a little different right now.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
I havent been able to find anything that has come from the Bulls brass indicating that Tyrus Thomas has a poor work ethic(and you know Skiles would rip him up), the only place I have heard it is through the media, and that is only because he didnt come to Chicago for his offseason workouts. This doesnt mean he has a poor work ethic, for all we know he was in the gym for 12 hours a day and going over tape for the rest of the day, we just dont know.

To assume he has a poor work ethic is wrong if you ask me. He is still young and raw, and he is still learning. There is plenty of gaps in his learning curve right now, but he still has a world of talent to make up for those gaps. The kid went from a street baller 4 years ago, to a starter on his high school basketball team, to a starter on his college basketball team which was the runner-up to the national champs( he was a huge reason for that), to a top 5 draft pick, and now he is a starter his second year into the league. If his work ethic was really that bad, I think his career path would look a little different right now.

That may be true, but wsf101's main point still holds true -- this Bulls team as currently constructed doesn't have a chance of winning a title, unless some major strides are made. And by major strides I mean Deng would have to elevate his game from 'pretty good' player to superstar, and I don't think that can happen with his (perceived) athletic ceiling. Tyrus Thomas would also have to become a dominant force down low on both ends. He'd have to develop a game on the post where, if there were two minutes left and the Bulls needed a bucket, they could give the ball to Thomas and be reasonably confident that he could make a move and score.

It's quite dissappointing, really. The 'bad vibes' started when they inked Nocioni, a good bench player, to a contract that is too long and for too much money. I hope they don't make that same mistake with Gordon.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
That may be true, but wsf101's main point still holds true -- this Bulls team as currently constructed doesn't have a chance of winning a title, unless some major strides are made. And by major strides I mean Deng would have to elevate his game from 'pretty good' player to superstar, and I don't think that can happen with his (perceived) athletic ceiling. Tyrus Thomas would also have to become a dominant force down low on both ends. He'd have to develop a game on the post where, if there were two minutes left and the Bulls needed a bucket, they could give the ball to Thomas and be reasonably confident that he could make a move and score.

It's quite dissappointing, really. The 'bad vibes' started when they inked Nocioni, a good bench player, to a contract that is too long and for too much money. I hope they don't make that same mistake with Gordon.

Im not arguing that fact(in fact I agree that the Bulls need someone to put them over as well), im just saying that the label Tyrus is getting as a player with a poor work ethic is one that I dont see. we all know Skiles does not play people like that, no matter how much they are making(See Tim Thomas), and Tyrus is starting, so he must be doing something right

I have never seen a sadder effort of a team than what the Wizards are doing tonight. They are getting their asses kicked but just basically letting Camby get offensive boards. They are playing to lose basically and everyone can now see that.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)

If you haven't heard about Tyrus' work ethic, your not listening. Even Skiles has said more than a few things about it, most noteably saying "I haven't seen him in the gym at all" at the beginning of camp. It's also known he's always the first player to leave practice.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)

:)

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Nov 10, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
I have never seen a sadder effort of a team than what the Wizards are doing tonight. They are getting their asses kicked but just basically letting Camby get offensive boards. They are playing to lose basically and everyone can now see that.

Yep it is. Arenas will probably bolt as a FA this off-season at this rate, and I think Jamison becomes a FA as well. They're just a mess.

The Magic won their 4th in a row on the road and just got a 2.6M injury exception to use on a big. Things are looking pretty rosy. Dwight with another 20-20 game. :headbang

I've tried to avoid this thread because I have a short temper and just know I'd explode on the Bulls. I understand it's early and this team "gets going late" but tonight was pathetic. I was fortunate there was a fight on ppv or else I would've had to watch this whole thing.

Is there anyway we can get rid of Wallace? He is useless. I really can't take him. If he isn't rebounding, he isn't doing anything because he has no other skill set. I knew that contract was a mistake, as I am sure most of you did.

The NBA is hard enough to watch. I don't need the Bulls playing like this. I am an ND fan. It's hard enough. I have so much rage when I see this team right now (thanks god for the Packers and Mizzou not playing as bad as they were expected to or else I'd have had multiple heart attacks).

Someone mentioned Kobe but they're winning. Ugh. I'll try to avoid further annoying you regulars in this thread. Just had to get a little (there's much more) off my chest.

At least we can get a good draft pick...

True that...And we can draft another undersized guard or fill one of our biggest needs at the defensive minded/athletic/lengthy PF position...We clearly don't need any Offensive minded post players or anything else that would be useful.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
again? he's played 70+ games in each of his last 4 seasons.

Yeah, but the media always plays up his nagging injuries. He is pretty consistent with having nagging injuries that keep him out a little bit here and there

It's not about missing games with injuries for Vince, it's about playing up his injuries so he looks to be always playing through pain. It's a similar syndrome to Chris Duhon's miraculous playing through his sore ribs in college. That combined with his on again off again dedication just has me tired of him, even as a lifelong UNC fan.

He's a very good guy and is fun to watch, but he had the sky as the limit for his talent, and he just never put in time in the weightroom or dedication on the floor to reach it. I hate that.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 12:21 PM)
How sad is it that the Heat are giving Anfernee Hardaway serious minutes? I almost yearn for Antoine Walker. Almost.

Yeah it is majorly.

Penny was my favorite player in the 90's, and it's just a shame to see injuries have made him a shadow of what he once was. I remember one play against Houston in the NBA Finals, when he did a reverse alley oop from a pass from mid court that really just showed off his athleticism beautifully.

And here's a question, when are Seattle actually going to win a game? Durant is only shooting about 30% from the field IIRC, and he's trying to do too much, he needs some help out there.