Edgar Renteria traded to the Tigers

southsideirish71

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
3rd place? That's actually pretty positive if you ask me.

You know... for that price... MAN, renteria would have been nice.

Yes, because Minny should be awful this year IMO. Renteria would have solved a top of the order hole, and one at SS.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 08:47 PM)
If we're going to get Furcal, it's going to have to be for Garland.

After this trade? I doubt it. What bargaining power do the Dodgers have? Furcal is well overpaid at $13 million per season and is coming off of his worst season since 2001. Everybody also knows that they have Hu ready to go. I think Contreras, cash (moreso cash for the second year) and a prospect should be able to get it done.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 08:52 PM)
After this trade? I doubt it. What bargaining power do the Dodgers have? Furcal is well overpaid at $13 million per season and is coming off of his worst season since 2001. Everybody also knows that they have Hu ready to go. I think Contreras, cash (moreso cash for the second year) and a prospect should be able to get it done.

It would have to be a damn good prospect, and unfortunately, we only have two of those. Like what I said about Garland, you can't trade DLS or Gio for a one year contract.

Hmm... didn't realize Hernandez was so highly regarded. That debunks part of my last post.

Still, I don't think Furcal is worth anywhere near as much as Renteria is. Renteria is coming off of a much better season and is signed for two more seasons, not just one. He also costs less (in 2008) than Furcal does.

What are the Dodgers going to be looking for, though? They've got prospects at just about every spot on the diamond (or so it seems).

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
Not with Brandon Inge coming off a 80 OPS+

Detroit is still very high on Inge. Obviously A-Rod would be a gigantic upgrade, but, I really think they want to stick with Inge for a few more years. He is really very good defender over there, better than he seems to get recognition for - so its unlikely they'd want to move him to the OF or anything.

I really think this is the end of DET in the A-Rod game, especially with the money now involved, and their payroll for what is still a small market team.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
Give them Jon.

damn if renteria can be had for 2 minor leaguers basically, we shouldnt have to trade jon to get furcal.this makes me think we may be able to still have a solid rotation and upgrade at ss by trading minor leaguers too.

He has 2 yrs, 20 mil left including a team option. Escobar will be stepping in for the Braves. FWIW, Gorkys is a better offensive prospect than anyone the Sox have.

Looks like an $11M option after 2008 season. Red Sox are paying part of his salary and would be responsibly for paying the $3M buyout should the Tigers walk away from Renteria after '08. Very favorable financial situation for the Tigers.

damn if renteria can be had for 2 minor leaguers basically, we shouldnt have to trade jon to get furcal.this makes me think we may be able to still have a solid rotation and upgrade at ss by trading minor leaguers too.

Possibly, but I would state those two minor leaguers the Tigers gave up are as good as or better than any prospects the White Sox have.

Also I have my doubts the Dodgers are looking at White Sox prospects, they have a lot of their own and IMO would likely want "win now" talent, if they decide to trade Furcal who had a down year. Tons of pressure to win out there, and Grady Little is apparantly on thin ice.

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)

Different philosophies between different organizations.

And the Sox really don't have expendable prospects like the Tigers do; the White Sox expendable prospects aren't going to get much in return.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 08:58 PM)
I really think this is the end of DET in the A-Rod game, especially with the money now involved, and their payroll for what is still a small market team.

Detroit isn't a small market team with Illitch as the owner. He's shown with the Red Wings that he'll pay $$$ for star players, he's also shown that with a willingness to go WELL over slot with draft picks (Porcello, Miller). Obviously A-Rod is a bit of a different beast, but if Illitch sets his sights on A-Rod, there won't be a whole lot to stop the Tigers from submitting a very likeable offer.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
Detroit isn't a small market team with Illitch as the owner. He's shown with the Red Wings that he'll pay $$$ for star players, he's also shown that with a willingness to go WELL over slot with draft picks (Porcello, Miller). Obviously A-Rod is a bit of a different beast, but if Illitch sets his sights on A-Rod, there won't be a whole lot to stop the Tigers from submitting a very likeable offer.

The Tigers suddenly have very little need for ARod.

Anyway...now, it's officially time for me to start hoping that the Renteria Boston had was the "AL" version of Renteria.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
wow, ATL got raped

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
How again, wasn't Kenny in on something like this.

Your ignance is showing....

Jurrjens is very good prospect, comparable to Gio in that some would like him more than gio thanks to a Fastball that sits at about 93-94 and a bit larger frame. He's got a nice tight slider... In fact, his stuff is very similar to DLS, but he's a better prospect thanks to his success at AA and the show...He doesn't have the K-rate of Gio, but thanks to more than a handful of starts at the big leagues, he'll probably slide right into the Braves rotation next year.

Hernandez is not just some throw-in either... He's a big upside CFer unlike anything we have in our system...

In other words, if Kenny were to offer Gio and Jose Martinez to ATL for Renteria, they would have likely said no-thanks since they couldn't count on Gio (our top prospect) to step in right away and Martinez isn't yet the prospect that Hernandez is....

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)

That's a great point on Illitch. I'm sure that the Tigers are tired of trotting Inge out to third as he's proven to be nothing more than a band-aid with his .688 OPS last year.

Yeah, I would definitely not rule the Tigers out of the A-Rod sweepstakes.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)

Anyway...now, it's officially time for me to start hoping that the Renteria Boston had was the "AL" version of Renteria.

Detroit drew over 3 million fans at 37k per game. The won 88 games, and will have the financial ability to cover this. If they want Arod, they can bid with the rest of them. And could use him at 3rd base. If they get Arod as well, this team becomes a monster. Their young pitching, and young prospects plus some of the power they have. It would be a tough division.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Detroit drew over 3 million fans at 37k per game. The won 88 games, and will have the financial ability to cover this. If they want Arod, they can bid with the rest of them. And could use him at 3rd base. If they get Arod as well, this team becomes a monster. Their young pitching, and young prospects plus some of the power they have. It would be a tough division.

I'd say rebuild regardless of what happens, but if Detroit signs ARod too, with Cleveland having the young pitching and hitting they do...I'd say sell off and save some money, cuz you ain't doing s*** in this division for a while.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
Your ignance is showing....

Really? A young unproven pitcher with a bad rotator cuff and a 3rd starter upside and a "toolsy" Of'er for a proven MLB SS who had a great year isnt getting raped? They certainly didnt win the deal.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)

yeah which is a plus for us regarding ARod.

I haven't been following the ARod story very well, but if he were to want to play primarily shortstop again, we'd have a lot better chance to get him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 29, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
Really? A young unproven pitcher with a bad rotator cuff and a 3rd starter upside and a "toolsy" Of'er for a proven MLB SS who had a great year isnt getting raped? They certainly didnt win the deal.

Construct a package of White Sox prospects better than what the Tigers gave up and get back to me...

Here's how I would rate the two players they gave up were they in our system...

Gio

DLS

Jurrjens

Carter

Poreda

Hernandez

Sweeney

Eggy

Shelby