Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just a couple of questions and points quickly;

1 - It's essentially Garland for Cabrera, and the cash it's freed up has probably ensured that we are to sign Hunter if the above report is true? How are people with that overall scenario?

2 - Is Hunter worth 75/5 (or even more)? At 1st glance, definitely not. At least we'll be hurting the Twins I suppose.

3 - What draft picks do we lose for signing Hunter?

4 - Signing Hunter for $15M, lose Garland for $12M, Cabrera for $9M, and we'd probably being paid about $2M. That's an overall gain of $10M. What's our total payroll at, and if we traded Crede and got rid of his $5M salary how would that impact it?

5 - Now with the Hunter signing, do we concentrate on fixing the pen, or do we have to find a SP to fill in for Garland?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)

1 - It's essentially Garland for Cabrera, and the cash it's freed up has probably ensured that we are to sign Hunter if the above report is true? How are people with that overall scenario?

2 - Is Hunter worth 75/5 (or even more)? At 1st glance, definitely not. At least we'll be hurting the Twins I suppose.

4 - Signing Hunter for $15M, lose Garland for $12M, Cabrera for $9M, and we'd probably being paid about $2M. That's an overall gain of $10M. What's our total payroll at, and if we traded Crede and got rid of his $5M salary how would that impact it?

5 - Now with the Hunter signing, do we concentrate on fixing the pen, or do we have to find a SP to fill in for Garland?

Answer for #3 is we'd be losing our 2nd Rnd pick due to the fact that Hunter is a Type A FA and we lost 90 games last year so we only forfeit a 2nd rather than a 1st.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)

1. I could live with those being the changes. I'm more than happy about the SS upgrade, we've taken a hit in the SP but hopefully the young guys can make it so it's not a big hit, and the defensive upgrades should make up for it.

2. He's worth $15 million next season. Down the road, it's hard to say.

3. We would lose our 2nd round pick.

5. Add another RHP to the bullpen, and start trying to move some salaries, and call it a winter

We need a bullpen to get to Jenks, but maybe the Japanes league is where one of two or three we needs comes from. The others might be internal. We need a back up catcher, if Hall is not healed. 2B is who??? Leadoff man. Let's go for A-Row and have him lead off.

Also, we still need a leadoff hitter in all of this.

I'm really hoping that Pods isn't back with us. But if we can't trade Crede for a leadoff hitter who can play LF, is KW really going to give that spot to Owens? No I can't see that happening myself.

And what leadoff hitters are available out there (and isn't going to break the bank)?

Would KW and Ozzie really give the leadoff spot to a Luke Scott type of hitter, someone without speed? I would say no.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)

I'm really hoping that Pods isn't back with us. But if we can't trade Crede for a leadoff hitter who can play LF, is KW really going to give that spot to Owens? No I can't see that happening myself.

And what leadoff hitters are available out there (and isn't going to break the bank)?

Would KW and Ozzie really give the leadoff spot to a Luke Scott type of hitter, someone without speed? I would say no.

With a quality #2 like OC, I don't hate the idea of giving Owens a shot to lead off as much as before we got OC.

Yes, they do. KW said that Guillen might, on occasion depending on matchups, put Orlando Cabrera in the leadoff spot but quickly added Cabrera fills the #2 hole.

If you look at the positions, the only spot is LF for a leadoff guy. Guillen kept talking about a guy who gets on base. They have two possibiities on the roster who can play LF and have led off, those being Ozuna and Owens. On the surface, that's a platoon but neither of those two are particularly high on base guys. Owens might improve in that area.

However I see them aiming higher. I also believe Owens has a spot but not as a starter, rather as a backup. He can be valuable in that role.

A guy with speed at the top is a plus but if you can't get that (a 50+ stolen base guy, a burner), then you look at a good contact hitter with a great batting eye who's also a proficient baserunner. Who is out there?

Shannon Stewart, do not know if Catalanatto is available, one poster here mentioned some of Toronto's guys, etc. Again if you can't get the speed merchant then a good hitter who has good AB's and is .360+ on base is the next best thing.

As for Podsednik ... I would be shocked if his time here isn't over.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)

I too do not want, nor think Pods will be back. Regarding Crede, it raises the question: can Crede this offseason fetch a solid leadoff hitter/LF that is decidedly better than Owens in return?

Seen this on WSI on the Torii thread...TIFWIW. I don't know the posters but there are 2 claiming different stations are claiming its a done deal with the Sox and Torii.....

"I got a text from a friend in TX and he says that 820AM in TX is reporting that no meeting is taking place tonight between Hunter and the Rangers because it looks like he is going to take the Sox offer..

I'm not to sure if this is true or not.. Has it been reported in Chicago"

Here is the other one...

"Friend of mine in St. Paul called me and said Sludge and Lake on KFAN in Minn, are reporting that the WS and Hunter have agreed in principle on a deal."

Edited by EvilJester99

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
I too do not want, nor think Pods will be back. Regarding Crede, it raises the question: can Crede this offseason fetch a solid leadoff hitter/LF that is decidedly better than Owens in return?

By far our best trading chip for an alt. leadoff guy was Garland. Now, we don't have starting pitching to deal any more, which means that we're stuck trying to find a guy who can hit leadoff while playing either CF or LF or 2nd base, because those are the only positions we have that aren't filled by anyone but a rookie.

Now that Castillo has resigned, the 2nd base market looks thin on leadoff guys, unless someone wants Eckstein there. Loretta, etc. don't strike my fancy that much.

In the OF, a couple of people have mentionned Mike Lamb, who is I believe a FA and might work as an OBP guy. Beyond that, I think Corey Patterson is available but through Boras. And beyond that, at those positions, the FA pickings are slim.

So, in terms of trades, if all we have to offer is a guy like Crede, then you have to look at a guy another team is down on. The Phils might move Burrell, but he has a full NTC and has shown no signs of wanting to move. And beyond that, you literally get yourself into "Why did we sign this contract" guy territory and start talking about Pierre. And I for one think we already have an equal version of Juan Pierre in our OF for less money already. So, barring something surprising, I don't really see a better option out there as a leadoff guy.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
Seen this on WSI on the Torii thread...TIFWIW. I don't know the posters but there are 2 claiming different stations are claiming its a done deal with the Sox and Torii.....

"I got a text from a friend in TX and he says that 820AM in TX is reporting that no meeting is taking place tonight between Hunter and the Rangers because it looks like he is going to take the Sox offer..

I'm not to sure if this is true or not.. Has it been reported in Chicago"

Here is the other one...

"Friend of mine in St. Paul called me and said Sludge and Lake on KFAN in Minn, are reporting that the WS and Hunter have agreed in principle on a deal."

I hope this is true. Torii Hunter has gotten my full endorsement.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
I hope this is true. Torii Hunter has gotten my full endorsement.

Its one poster on WSI, who is claiming that he/she has a friend in Texas who heard it on the radio (about the meeting with Texas being cancelled)... and, coincidentally, this poster also has a Sox fan friend in MSP who is saying some radio show is reporting the deal done.

Seems pretty sketchy to me.

But I hope its true... as long as the money isn't overly outrageous.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
I am so bored at work, that I am trying to listen to the Dallas and Minny stations. Dallas has the Stars on, and KFAN looks like they don't stream. No Twins or Rangers blogs have anything...

I was looking on the Rangers main MB and saw nothing. I didn't check Minny...but you would think one of these boards would be talking about it by now.

Hunter to Sox this week say sources

November 19, 2007

By Joe Cowley

Ken Williams has learned to accept fans and media often tossing him into what he refers to as “The Idiot of the Day Club.’’

But the trade of Jon Garland to the Angels on Monday afternoon for shortstop Orlando Cabrera was “Phase 2’’ of the offseason facelift only because the club is feeling all but certain that “Phase 1’’ was accomplished over the weekend.

Sources both in the Sox organization and the camp of free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter have told the Sun-Times that the two sides could be signing a contract within the week.

In other words, while it appeared Williams was playing checkers in the Garland for Cabrera deal, he was actually playing chess, staying moves ahead of the game.

According to one source, Hunter had met with the Sox twice in the last two weeks, getting the financial details of what was being offered in that second meeting. While an agreement had not been reached as of Monday afternoon, the source said that “the climate’’ was there for a deal to be announced soon, unless another team comes in at the last second and blows Hunter away with an offer.

Enough so that Williams cleared the way for the Hunter acquisition by trading away Garland and his $12 million contract for the ’08 season.

With Cabrera at shortstop and Hunter in center field, not only would the Sox add two Gold Glovers to the mix, but now have the hole in the No. 2 spot of the lineup filled with Cabrera, while Hunter would offer protection for the “big three’’ of Jim Thome, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye in the batting order.

“The main focus of the organizational meetings was getting back to the formula in 2005 – pitching and defense,’’ the source said.

While losing Garland is a hit for the pitching part of the formula, privately some in the organization felt that Garland had reached his ceiling in 2005 and ’06, winning 18 games in both years, and with the right-hander hitting the free agent market after ’08, he would price himself out of what the Sox felt was a comfortable range.

Garland himself knew the writing was on the wall, telling the Sun-Times back in September, “If I had to guess right now, I would say that I’m more likely to get traded than to sign back, only because looking around this clubhouse and depending on which way they want to go with the team – whether Kenny wants to go young or build a winner here – at least on the starting staff, I bring the most attention.’’

That doesn’t mean that the starting rotation isn’t taking a hit, however.

After the proven arms of Mark Buehrle, Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras, the Sox will rely on John Danks to step up after an inconsistent rookie campaign, while the enigmatic Gavin Floyd will get the first shot to fill the vacancy left by Garland.

Pitching coach Don Cooper made it a point to say that he backed whatever moves Williams felt would make the team better, but also realized that the pressure now grows for all five starters – no matter who they are come April 1.

“With Buehrle, Contreras, and Vazquez, I mean we need 15 wins each from them and there is no room for error for them,’’ Cooper said. “John Danks, his grace period, learning curve, just got quicker. And then with Gavin, if it is Gavin, we need him to pick it up where he left off in September.

“Again, we know we have to do a better job with the bullpen and that will be addressed. My only concern is the players we have here. The job is to get into the playoffs and win a World Championship. Right now, we lose Jon garland, that means someone else is going to have to step up.’’

The next step for Williams if he does land Hunter this week, is adding a proven leadoff hitter/left fielder, which could be accomplished in shipping third baseman Joe Crede out in a trade. The bullpen will then be the focus for the remainder of the offseason.

“Kenny wants to get back into the playoffs and feels this trade will help,’’ Cooper added. “I back it. There’s a track record here. I mean he’s already orchestrated one championship team here.’’

Off of another White Sox forum.

Well, I have to say that would be a nice way to end a day I've felt down on. But I don't see the timing. I don't really see why torii wouldn't continue to wait. I feel like he can only serve to gain money if the other CFs sign first. But perhaps I guess that is unlikely if they are seen as contingency guys *If we don't sign torii we go for ...*