Torii Hunter

Allsox

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:37 PM)
Hunter to Sox this week say sources

November 19, 2007

By Joe Cowley

Ken Williams has learned to accept fans and media often tossing him into what he refers to as “The Idiot of the Day Club.’’

But the trade of Jon Garland to the Angels on Monday afternoon for shortstop Orlando Cabrera was “Phase 2’’ of the offseason facelift only because the club is feeling all but certain that “Phase 1’’ was accomplished over the weekend.

Sources both in the Sox organization and the camp of free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter have told the Sun-Times that the two sides could be signing a contract within the week.

In other words, while it appeared Williams was playing checkers in the Garland for Cabrera deal, he was actually playing chess, staying moves ahead of the game.

According to one source, Hunter had met with the Sox twice in the last two weeks, getting the financial details of what was being offered in that second meeting. While an agreement had not been reached as of Monday afternoon, the source said that “the climate’’ was there for a deal to be announced soon, unless another team comes in at the last second and blows Hunter away with an offer.

Enough so that Williams cleared the way for the Hunter acquisition by trading away Garland and his $12 million contract for the ’08 season.

With Cabrera at shortstop and Hunter in center field, not only would the Sox add two Gold Glovers to the mix, but now have the hole in the No. 2 spot of the lineup filled with Cabrera, while Hunter would offer protection for the “big three’’ of Jim Thome, Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye in the batting order.

“The main focus of the organizational meetings was getting back to the formula in 2005 – pitching and defense,’’ the source said.

While losing Garland is a hit for the pitching part of the formula, privately some in the organization felt that Garland had reached his ceiling in 2005 and ’06, winning 18 games in both years, and with the right-hander hitting the free agent market after ’08, he would price himself out of what the Sox felt was a comfortable range.

Garland himself knew the writing was on the wall, telling the Sun-Times back in September, “If I had to guess right now, I would say that I’m more likely to get traded than to sign back, only because looking around this clubhouse and depending on which way they want to go with the team – whether Kenny wants to go young or build a winner here – at least on the starting staff, I bring the most attention.’’

That doesn’t mean that the starting rotation isn’t taking a hit, however.

After the proven arms of Mark Buehrle, Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras, the Sox will rely on John Danks to step up after an inconsistent rookie campaign, while the enigmatic Gavin Floyd will get the first shot to fill the vacancy left by Garland.

Pitching coach Don Cooper made it a point to say that he backed whatever moves Williams felt would make the team better, but also realized that the pressure now grows for all five starters – no matter who they are come April 1.

“With Buehrle, Contreras, and Vazquez, I mean we need 15 wins each from them and there is no room for error for them,’’ Cooper said. “John Danks, his grace period, learning curve, just got quicker. And then with Gavin, if it is Gavin, we need him to pick it up where he left off in September.

“Again, we know we have to do a better job with the bullpen and that will be addressed. My only concern is the players we have here. The job is to get into the playoffs and win a World Championship. Right now, we lose Jon garland, that means someone else is going to have to step up.’’

The next step for Williams if he does land Hunter this week, is adding a proven leadoff hitter/left fielder, which could be accomplished in shipping third baseman Joe Crede out in a trade. The bullpen will then be the focus for the remainder of the offseason.

“Kenny wants to get back into the playoffs and feels this trade will help,’’ Cooper added. “I back it. There’s a track record here. I mean he’s already orchestrated one championship team here.’’

Off of another White Sox forum.

Or Page 30 of this thread.....

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
820AM will NOT have any information like that on the air. So at least that part is bulls***. PERIOD. Let's stop that right part right now. And yes, I'm in Dallas. Any other snooping around that ya'll want me to do?

LMAO owned

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
Alright I'll stop posting then...

Feel free to post. Just try not to wade into a thread you haven't read and post an article like that. Best to make sure its not yet posted or discussed. That way, we don't get threads with the same articles 20 times.

Feel free to post. Just try not to wade into a thread you haven't read and post an article like that. Best to make sure its not yet posted or discussed. That way, we don't get threads with the same articles 20 times.

I know, I was kidding. I just get lazy and I really am not going to read 30 plus pages of this. To be honest, I doubt anyone will just sit there reading even 10 pages.

So, it's not exactly new trade related news, but I thought it was kinda cute.

New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez won in a runaway, his third MVP distinction in five seasons. Detroit outfielder Magglio Ordonez finished second, preventing a unanimous selection of A-Rod, by taking two of the 28 first-place votes.

Three of Guerrero's teammates with the AL West champion Angels -- Orlando Cabrera, John Lackey and Chone Figgins -- also drew support with two beat writers given votes in each league city.

Cabrera, who learned on Monday that he'd been dealt to the Chicago White Sox for starting pitcher Jon Garland, tied Minnesota's Torii Hunter for 15th in the balloting. Lackey tied for 17th, and Figgins tied for 20th place.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
I know, I was kidding. I just get lazy and I really am not going to read 30 plus pages of this. To be honest, I doubt anyone will just sit there reading even 10 pages.

Just look at the forum home page. I am sure there are plenty of people that have read this whole thread today ... more than once. And frankly, that disturbs me more than your oversight.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 06:22 PM)
:lol: :lol:

You are dead on.

Bottom line, Torri Hunter and Orlando Cabrera make the Sox a lot better. Both are guys that do the little things that it takes to win and the defense will be upgraded immensely (not to mention both are superior offensive players compared to there predecessors). I would still be concerned about the rotation, however, the Sox could still have a move up their sleeve after everything else settles down (grabbing a non-tender pitcher or even packaging up some young prospects for a starter they like that doesn't make much money).

I hate losing Jon but I am actually a fan of the OC deal and while I'm sure the Sox would be overpaying for Hunter I'd be a fan of the move since it would stablize CF for a number of years.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)

If you're posting an article that's published the same day, just glance at the posts from that day. In this case, that's only a few pages.

Ya, I wouldn't buy terms being agreed upon yet. If they were we'd know more. I could buy the Sox being close. I know the Dodgers have interest but it appears they prefer Rowand. The question is whether the Rangers are going to put up a massive offer (mainly in terms of years as opposed to $/yr). If the Rangers don't I think the Sox get the nod as Hunter knows damn well that if he goes to Chicago he's coming to a team who has a GM known for going for it year in year out (they may end up being awful next year but you know if the club is in a spot to contend Kenny will do what he can to turn the team into a world series contender at the deadline).

If we are trying to build a championship by defense up the middle of the diamond, we would accomplish this with both Cabrera and Hunter. I could live with Owens at lead-off especially if he worked on bunting all off-season so he could get on base that way and then steal 70+ bases. Although the plan may be to use Crede to get that leadoff hitter and...

Anyone else think that a Hunter deal would signal the end of Konerko on the Southside? Konerko could get us that #3 or #4 starter and some prospects, perhaps from those same Angels (Santana and Kotchman) or Dodgers?

LF: Owens/Ozuna

SS: Cabrera

DH: Thome

RF: Dye

CF: Hunter

3B: Fields

C: Pierzynski

1B: Kotchman

2B: Richar

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
Levineline is on ESPN 1000 and says his sources say the Sox are far and away the leaders for Hunter and he might be signed by Thanksgiving....

In the conference call on whitesox.com he tries to get KW to spill the beans on it, but he didn't bite. It could be Omar Vizquel all over again. Levineline puts his reputation on the line, another team like Texas gives an extra year, and KW is calling Rowand's agent.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
Thats a good call DA. That makes a lot of sense, and there is a very solid relationship there with Williams and Byrnes. If he still hasn't moved, does Williams turn around and ship those prospects, along with a few of our own to the Marlins for Miguel???

The other thing is supposedly Baltimore is discussing a Bedard/Kemp deal with LA. KW has been after Bedard for years. Is LA trying to get him for KW?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:01 AM)
The other thing is supposedly Baltimore is discussing a Bedard/Kemp deal with LA. KW has been after Bedard for years. Is LA trying to get him for KW?

I'd totally take the guy, but it could be more likely that they're trying to make Kershaw more expendable in a Cabrera deal, even though they'd be losing Kemp in the process.

Just FWIW, someone a few posts ago used a Owens / Ozuna platoon for a leadoff hitter.

Just what were the splits for Pablo against LHP in 2006, and Owens against RHP in the 2nd half of 2007 FWIW?

Do they give you a .350 OBP for example?

Because I guess I could live with that. You could then trade Crede for a nice prospect?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
Just FWIW, someone a few posts ago used a Owens / Ozuna platoon for a leadoff hitter.

Just what were the splits for Pablo against LHP in 2006, and Owens against RHP in the 2nd half of 2007 FWIW?

Do they give you a .350 OBP for example?

Because I guess I could live with that. You could then trade Crede for a nice prospect?

Owens vs RHP - sub .330 OBP, sub .650 OPS

no, that's not acceptable