Cubs deal Monroe; in on Crawford.

Chombi

Soto and Marmol could be one hit wonders although I have not researched their minor league numbers all that much, I thought neither was all that highly thought of prior to last year. Pie did nothing when callled up and his body does not transalate into a major league 5 tool player in my mind he is to whispy. I think Hill and Marshall are both below average pitchers that will get lit up in the AL East. All you need to do is look at Ted Lilly and Hill and Marshall are not that good. Playing in the worst division in baseball history really helped them look better than they are I beleive.

I think the Sox could get a third team involved and make a better package up.

The Rays don't need anyone, they have the best farm system in all of baseball and a loaded ML club that just needs a bit more time together.

Going around the diamond.

C - Navaro after the ASB he was one fire, and he was once a highly touted prospect and well regarded all throughout baseball; He looks to be coming into his own hes still incredibly young for both a catcher and player in the show. I think he projects as Paul Lo Duca with a bit more pop and OBP.

1B - Wow the benefit of being in the cellar and not having expectations placed on you as a team really let them find a diamond in the rough in Pena, GG defense and he still has alot of good years ahead of him provided he has truly turned it around, even if he falls off to a .265/.360/.490-500 player thats still incredibly good.

2B - Brendan Harris finally got a chance at FT AB's and he produced; hopefully he won't regress, he still has a little bit of room to get better but this isn't really a concern for the rays.

SS - I really hope they stick Akinori Iwamura here, his glove was golden and rangey at the hot corner and he should at least be average at SS.

3B - Longoria has this spot locked up for years to come.

LF - Crawford hes still so young and is one of the most excitiing players in baseball, all though he does make alot of bad descisions on the base paths.

CF - Upton they finally found a place on the diamond to stick his bat, and he decent out there.

RF - Young; albert belle 2.0?

DH - If baldelli could reamain healthy, this would be the place for him.

Dukes has no place in that organization anymore possibly even baseball, They should look to get .30 on the dollar for him.

Their staff looks great going forward seeing how they're doing their best to protect Sheilds and Kazmir.

Next year i think they make alot of noise in the east, possibly like the O's in '05 but they actually finish at .500.

Also next year if they grab Alverez it only gets more interesting. That team is so great looking going forward.

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 05:17 AM)
The Rays don't need anyone, they have the best farm system in all of baseball and a loaded ML club that just needs a bit more time together.

Exactly why if they move Crawford it will be for pitching and only pitching and good young grade A pitching. I think Hill is really overrated especially seeing that he will be 28 years old at the start of next year and went 11-8 in the NL Central. Marmol was great last year but fizzled in the playoffs. He was really bad the year before as a starter. He is an unknown to me for next year. I would compare Hill/Marmol to Danks/Masset based mostly on the age of the players. Hell I'd say Gio/Masset is better than Hill/Marmol. Marmol is solely a relief pitcher while all three Sox pitchers have better upside I believe then the cub pitchers. I beleive Felix Pie is the equivalent of Brian Anderson with the only difference being the cubs did not trash their player.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 10:04 PM)
Exactly why if they move Crawford it will be for pitching and only pitching and good young grade A pitching. I think Hill is really overrated especially seeing that he will be 28 years old at the start of next year and went 11-8 in the NL Central. Marmol was great last year but fizzled in the playoffs. He was really bad the year before as a starter. He is an unknown to me for next year. I would compare Hill/Marmol to Danks/Masset based mostly on the age of the players. Hell I'd say Gio/Masset is better than Hill/Marmol. Marmol is solely a relief pitcher while all three Sox pitchers have better upside I believe then the cub pitchers. I beleive Felix Pie is the equivalent of Brian Anderson with the only difference being the cubs did not trash their player.

Wow! I don't think I could disagree more with this comment. Marmol has the potential to be an all-world closer for the next decade. He reminds me so much of K-Rod.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Wow! I don't think I could disagree more with this comment. Marmol has the potential to be an all-world closer for the next decade. He reminds me so much of K-Rod.

If there's anyone in the Sox system who compares to Marmol, it's DLS. Their stuff is strikingly similar.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)

If he can't get the slider over his fastball can be hit. As hitters become acclimated to the slider the more I think they will lay off of it and then I think he will get hit. He could be all-world he could also be average. Am I wrong about his fastball as I thought it topped out around 93?

Carl Crawford (Rays) - Crawford's average increased for a fifth straight year in 2007, though for the first time, his OPS didn't follow, dropping from 830 to 820. Just 26, he still has the ability to take his game up another notch. However, that his K/BB ratio went from 85/37 in 600 AB in 2006 to 112/32 in 584 AB last season was hardly an encouraging sign. The Cubs are the team that keeps coming up in connection with Crawford, though he'd also make sense for the White Sox, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, Rangers, Brewers, Mets, Braves and Padres, among others. Since he's under control through 2010 at just $23.5 million, the Rays appear to be leaning toward holding on to him, at least for one more season.

Possibilities

To Cubs for LHP Rich Hill, LHP Donald Veal and SS Ronny Cedeno

To White Sox for LHP John Danks, RHP Faustino De Los Santos and RHP David Aardsma

To Giants for RHP Matt Cain

Prediction - Stays

per rotoworld.com

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
no, and so I sure as hell wouldn't give up Danks, DLS, and Aards for him either.

You wouldn't do Danks, Gio and MacDougal for Crawford? Why not?

You're nuts.

In a heartbeat I make that deal. Even if Gio and Danks reach their full potential, Crawford is still (arguably) worth as much as two slightly-better-than-average pitchers.

Even if Crawford is a bit overrated on this board, he's still damn good. His VORP ranked him 51st in all of baseball last season, and that doesn't include baserunning and defense. When taking that into account, you're looking at a top 40 player who's 26 years old and still has several very good seasons ahead of him.

Now -- DLS, Gio and Aardsma for Crawford is a little tougher to look at. I hate giving up DLS, but that's still a deal I look real hard at and could see arguments on both sides of the fence.