Stone on the Score

G&T

i heard Stoney on the Score yesterday after the trade was announced. He said he thought it was a good trade for both the Sox and the Angels. Personlly..i'd like to see a shortstop at the plate that won't swing at a ball at his eye-level two or three times a game.

Stone disagrees that last year was a career year.

He averages only 50 K's a year, and is similar to Carl Crawford. 4 times has had more than 40 doubles...points to a lot of stats, but I couldn't keep up with everything.

Great clubhouse guy and the Angels players felt he held the team together. His leadership and work ethic are great.

Compares Cabrera to Vizquel in that he will age well.

Garland is a decent pitcher who will make a lot of money

Stone thinks this is a great move for the Sox.

Other GMs view him as a 1 or 2 (odd). Considers him elite and could get $20 million a year in free agency. (Yikes)

Keeps saying Garland is a Boras guy? (Landis?)

On Hunter:

The Ranger org. thinks they will get the deal done with Hunter

Stone thinks he's 3 to 4 years older because of the turf, which ages his knees and back. KW could put him at DH, but back problems could be comparable to Thome and Rolen.

On Pitching

Thinks they have enough to fill the rotation.

Sox think Gio has better stuff than Danks. Gio could be 4th or 5th.

Doesn't see Floyd as a starter, but will end up in the pen.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
The question is ... how old is he now?

Rumor in media I've read is he is another guy with doctored birth certificate.

I've never read anything like that, so if you could point that out, it would be great.

Secondly, even if they hypothetically added 2 years to Cabrera's age, that would put him at 35; if he ages as well as Vizquel, that would mean he'd still be a good offensive shortstop for the next 5 years (age 35 through 39), and if Silveiro is as good as the White Sox seem to think he is, he should be ready by age 21.

So I'm not worried in the least.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
The question is ... how old is he now?

Rumor in media I've read is he is another guy with doctored birth certificate.

The only person in the media I have seen that has insinuated a possible age issue is Mariotti. And we all know how he works

QUOTE(rockren @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
I think Stone meant 2 or 3 years from now after Hunter's body can't play everyday anymore due to being old and beat up.

Yeah, he seemed to say that by the end of the contract, Hunter might not even be able to DH because of a bad back and knees.

QUOTE(G&T @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
Yeah, he seemed to say that by the end of the contract, Hunter might not even be able to DH because of a bad back and knees.

Shoot - he'd be an awful DH now. His defense is what separates him. He's not bad at the plate, but hardly qualifying himself as DH material.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
Glad to hear you believe he's really 33.

We don't need another Contreras.

Some Sox reporter should do an investigative piece on that one.

He appears older than he's listed.

Wait, are you really being serious?

Did you cut his head off and count the rings. How the hell did you come up with this. Are you an expert in the signs of outward aging. This is a stretch.

This is so f***ing ridiculous. He's been in the league for 12 seasons, since he was 22 years old and I have never heard anyone ever question his age. Now that Garland is traded for this "waste of space" he's suddenly 35 years old. You need to get over it.

You know what, even if he is 35 or 36 (which he is not) I don't care because he plays like he sure as hell doesn't play like it. I don't care if he's 44, he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down and was one of the most valuable shortstops in the game last season.