PODS DFA'D; Egbert, Harrell, Russell and Armstrong on 40 man

SoxFan562004

I think Armstrong was protected because of his years in - looks like he might have become a free agent otherwise. 4.5 years in service, minor leagues, by my count.

Lucas Harrell, though, looks like he has only 3 years in, then was out injured in 07. So I am not sure why he needs to be protected.

Pods DFA, Egbert on 40 = good news.

WHY THE f*** IS BOURGEOIS NOT ON THE 40?!?!

QUOTE(qwerty @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
I say this is one of the top three days in white sox history.

Okay, I think I know one of the other two but which is the third?

Todd Ritchie's last day?

1983 Clincher (Thanks Juice)?

1993 Clincher (Oh let me tell you 'bout...)?

The end of Julio Cruz's contract?

The end of Jaime Navarro's contract?

Slappy's HR at Wrigley in 1999?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
I think Armstrong was protected because of his years in - looks like he might have become a free agent otherwise. 4.5 years in service, minor leagues, by my count.

Lucas Harrell, though, looks like he has only 3 years in, then was out injured in 07. So I am not sure why he needs to be protected.

He already became a FA, IIRC. I'm guessing there's a reason he's not.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)

6 years = minor league free agent...

Harrell was 19 (by a few days) when he was drafted, so even though he was taken out of HS in the same year as Gio, he gets a year less protection under the new CBA.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)
I thought this was odd also. If the Hunter signing is imminent, why would they fill the 40 man. Either it's not imminent or there will need to be a trade for someone on it (Crede/Uribe) first. Doesn't sound like the Hunter deal is as close as some thought.

completely agree, I hope this tells us that there will be a trade in the next few days. I believe the sox traded rowand the day after thanksgiving a couple years back. Means nothing other than things may be in the works.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
Pods doesn't need luck, he's got....

0601dergan.jpg

it does keep me from pitying the man.

I think his work on the basep aths in the first half of '05 sparked this team and set the tone for the season. I can't say enough about that. But I'm glad this move has been made...finally.

So... we added Cole Armstrong to the 40-man, and we're leaving Fernando Hernandez exposed to the Rule 5 Draft?

Seems like a total waste of time sending Hernandez to the Arizona Fall League then.

What am I missing here?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
So years later, we have Single A pitcher, Jon Link in to show for the Carlos Lee deal. It's a good thing '05 cut KW so much slack in my book, otherwise I'd really be upset about this.

Carlos Lee didn't lead to us getting Link. We traded Marte for Mackowiak, who we then traded for Link. What we have to show for Lee is some of Vazquez (Vizcaino)...

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
Carlos Lee didn't lead to us getting Link. We traded Marte for Mackowiak, who we then traded for Link. What we have to show for Lee is some of Vazquez (Vizcaino)...

You're right. Thanks for straightening that out. Vazquez make it a lot more tolerable.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)

Bourgeois signed a minor league contract with us, so he's still in the mix.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:08 AM)
Losing Chris Young hurts that tolerability

as happy as i am to see pods gone....it is sad seeing so many pieces of that 05 team now gone....oh well, they werent gonna stay around for ever, and in looking at 08, 05 was 3 seasons ago

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
You forgot to put that in green.

If only I could put it in green.

In all seriousness, right now Owens has to be the leading contender for the LF job. KW said OC will bat #2, and we know the Guillen & the Sox insist that a leadoff man steal bases and be "contact hitter". Owens is the only player on the 40 man roster that fits that description. What other options are there? Maybe Shannon Stewart or a trade for Juan Pierre, but neither of those is likely (and trading for Pierre would a mistake in my opinion).

Really, to me DFAing Pods isn't anything to get excited about if he's just replaced by a similar player.