40-Man Additions

Calderon

According to the Chicago Tribune...

The White Sox cut ties with injured leadoff hitter Scott Podsednik by designating him for assignment Tuesday.

The move comes as little surprise as the Sox sought an upgrade. Podsednik, one of the heroes of the 2005 World Championship season who was eligible for arbitration, is now a free agent.

The move was made to make room for shortstop Orlando Cabrera on the 40-man roster.

The Sox added pitchers Jack Egbert, Adam Russell and Lucas Harrell and catcher Cole Armstrong to the 40-man roster, which is now full.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
Cole Armstrong. There's a suprise I would have thought.

He did hit well in A+ this past year (though he was repeating), the system is very thin on catchers, he's got more than 4 years service in (and, I think, would have been an FA). Plus I think they want to keep the pressure on Lucy, who they are probably not at all sold on even as a future backup.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
He did hit well in A+ this past year (though he was repeating), the system is very thin on catchers, he's got more than 4 years service in (and, I think, would have been an FA). Plus I think they want to keep the pressure on Lucy, who they are probably not at all sold on even as a future backup.

In my humble opinion Armstrong is superior to Lucy defensively, especially when it comes to arm strength. Looked to be in much better shape this year than last year as well.

I'm a little bit surprised about Harrell. Hope he comes back healthy and firing on all cylinders.

The White Sox ? :)

Hah, good one! And in a way, just about every team would want young cheap good defensive catching. It is almost like asking who needs pitching.

I always try to read the tea leaves though. Possibly my memory is shot but I cannot recall the Sox having 4 catchers on the 40 man. Seems odd to protect a Cole Armstrong, he apparantly has improved but he is not extremely young and basically just touched Double A late this season. He was a guy they plucked from Atlanta org. in the Rule 5 a couple years ago.

Back to reading the tea leaves, this tells me they (obviously) like him as probably the emergency guy i.e. the first guy they bring up if the top two get dinged up. Donny Lucy just played in the AFL and got showcased, even if they weren't trying to showcase him. The way I connect the dots is, Lucy is a trade chip, part of a package. Of course not to rule out Armstrong or Hall being in the same boat but honestly I can't see who'd want Hall at this point.

Taking it a step further, adding 3 more pitchers to the 40 man tells me they will trade more pitching, this time a young guy or an underachiever (see: Aardsma/Sisco/Masset) or a combination thereof.

Just something to talk about and ponder I suppose.

Edited by 29andPoplar

Still no Beorgois (sp? i can never remember that name). I still hope that we trade Uribe and give this kid a shot.

No, they did not add Bourgeois, yet anyways. I do not think he's eligible for the Rule 5 (since he was already in it at least once) but I don't know the rule 100%. He will be a minor league FA though and after his good showing in winter ball I'm sure he's shopping for a major league deal and a roster spot vs. just a non roster invite. Maybe the White Sox have something worked out with him already.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
Taking it a step further, adding 3 more pitchers to the 40 man tells me they will trade more pitching, this time a young guy or an underachiever (see: Aardsma/Sisco/Masset) or a combination thereof.

Just something to talk about and ponder I suppose.

I think that's pretty astute -- IIRC all of Aardsma/Sisco/Masset are out of options, aren't they? There's no way all 3 will be in the Sox pen. I'd be surprised if more than 1 is. And Armstrong on the 40 is mystifying unless Lucy is going to be traded (but really, who'd want him?). At least it won't be a boring offseason.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 06:17 PM)
I think that's pretty astute -- IIRC all of Aardsma/Sisco/Masset are out of options, aren't they? There's no way all 3 will be in the Sox pen. I'd be surprised if more than 1 is. And Armstrong on the 40 is mystifying unless Lucy is going to be traded (but really, who'd want him?). At least it won't be a boring offseason.

Out of those, I'm almost certain that the only one out of options is Masset. Aardsma wasn't drafted until 2003, while Masset I think went in like 01, so Aardsma should have a bit more on him. And I think we came to the conclusion a while ago that Sisco had 1 more option remaining.

Am I missing something?

We added Cole Armstrong to the 40-man roster... and we left Fernando Hernandez unprotected for the Rule 5 Draft??

You've GOT to be kidding me!!!

See the article below... and compare it to today's decisions.

--------------------------------------------

Protect or get exposed

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune, 11/19/07; 4:55 p.m.

Tuesday marks the deadline for teams to set their 40-man rosters. What may seem like a simple procedure is actually one of the most important days for a team, considering that two-time American League Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana and former Toronto slugger George Bell were Rule 5 picks because their previous teams failed to protect them on the 40-man roster.

For the Sox, pitchers Jack Egbert, Adam Russell and Fernando Hernandez must be placed on the 40-man roster or risk being lost in the Rule 5 draft.

Catcher Cole Armstrong, infielder Robert Valido and Wes Whisler also are eligible, but there's little chance another team would select them for the $50,000 Rule 5 draft price and keep them on the major league roster for an entire year.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
There are 4 catchers on the roster now. Sox haven't had 4 catchers on the 40 man for as long as I can recall. I don't think AJ is going anywhere.

Who's looking for young cheap good defensive catching as part of a trade?

Well. I know Boston probably is. And they happen to have a young, readily available, relatively inexpensive center-fielder with top of the order speed (something the Sox (not Sawx) recently lost in a DFA) and a penchant for defensive wizardry.

Without considering whether or not you would WANT Coco Crisp, how much would it take to get him?

Edited by Calderon

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
wtf, we left Fernando Hernandez off the roster when he was eligible for the rule 5? I don't care if he has good stuff or bad stuff, he has put up great numbers and the only way some team doesn't claim him is because they don't think he is ready.

Yeah, I realize we don't have the full picture with him, but he's put up consistently good numbers the last few seasons. Seems a shame to not protect him.

QUOTE(Calderon @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
In my humble opinion Armstrong is superior to Lucy defensively, especially when it comes to arm strength.

I kind of doubt that, given that Lucy threw out nearly 50% of runners against in 2007. That's a very high rate. I don't know Armstrong's numbers, because MILB doesn't publish that stat (I only know Lucy's because he is an AAP of mine and I did a quick count from the box scores). But anything higher than that would be extraordinary.

There must be something cookin' here... a possible deal to move a catcher maybe.

Because it makes no sense to protect a 4th catcher and leave a promising relief pitcher exposed when...

- You you have two major league catchers on the roster

- Your #1 guy just signed an extension

- And your team has a desperate need for relief pitching.

They would save $1M by moving Toby Hall and letting Lucy/Armstrong duke it out for the backup job.

Is this a foreshadowing of a move to free up more money to sign Torii Hunter?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
There must be something cookin' here... a possible deal to move a catcher maybe.

Because it makes no sense to protect a 4th catcher and leave a promising relief pitcher exposed when...

They would save $1M by moving Toby Hall and letting Lucy/Armstrong duke it out for the backup job.

yeah, especially since Armstrong doesn't need to be protected (as was pointed out in another thread by Gene Honda Civic), it does seem like maybe something is brewing. Its also interesting that if you look at lists on MILB of players, neither Lucy nor Armstrong have a team name associated with them. They were Charlotte and B-Ham respectively before, but now blank.

I was actually wondering if, after a disappointing AFL, maybe they decided to just give up on Lucy and release him. I think he's got more value than that, but, they may disagree.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
I was actually wondering if, after a disappointing AFL, maybe they decided to just give up on Lucy and release him. I think he's got more value than that, but, they may disagree.

Nah. You're talking about our WhiteSox... a team so short on minor league catching we kept Wiki Gonzalez and Gustavo Molina on our AAA roster. And besides, Lucy went to Stanford, so no way KW approves a release.

:P

Edited by scenario

Can we please drop Andy Gonzalez and add Hernandez? This is rediculous, Gonzalez wont or shouldnt make the team and showed us last year that he is worthless, so why keep him besides that OG might be friends with him. Seriously, Ozzie just go adopt him and keep him in the dugout if youre going to miss him so much. I just hate it when the Sox waste young talent, i dont know too much about this guy except for the fact taht he has unbelievable stats and will be very likely to be picked in the Rule 5 draft. :angry:

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)

Jarrod Saltalamacchia!&**$^&@#@