BCS  

28 members have voted

1. 1. college football

• 1.Mizzou
    • 2.WVU
    • 3.Ohio St.
    • 4.UGA
    • 5.LSU

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
Once again, who has the Big 12 beat outside of Illinois on the first game?

Who has the Big Ten beat period? You can't name a non-MAC team with a winning record because it doesn't exist. In fact the only team to even play such a team was Michigan, who got thumped by Oregon. So, yeah, go talk about schedules. Now to list the matchups the Big 12 teams played against BCS schools with winning records:

Missouri vs. Illinois W 40-34 (oh and btw, Mizzou was leading 37-13 in the 3rd quarter, thus Illinois had to pass the ball to comeback. So there's the reason for the lack of rushing yards.)

Colorado @ Arizona St L 33-14

Florida St @ Colorado L 16-6

Nebraska @ Wake Forest W 20-17

USC @ Nebraska L 49-31

Kansas State @ Auburn L 23-13

Oklahoma State @ Georgia L 35-14

Yeah, 2-5 isn't great, but neither is the 0-2 record the Big Ten put up in such games.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Juice pretty much did not play at all in that game. And Eddie McGhee was pretty awful.

Funny, that's not what the Illini fans here were saying during the game.

If you want to discuss the original topic I think West Virginia rolls over Missouri and would beat Ohio State in a closer game. I still think Missouri would beat Ohio State head to head though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they get into bowls and get blown out

The Big Ten doesn't scare me at all. The SEC does, the PAC 10 has schools that do,

Wisconsin Bowl Results:

Cap One: Wisconsin 17- Arkansas 14.

Cap One: Wisconsin 24- Auburn 10

Outback : Wisconsin 21- Georgia 24

Music City: Wisconsin 14- Auburn 28

Alamo Bowl: Wisconsin 31- Colorado 28

Sun Bowl: Wisconsin 21- UCLA 20

Rose Bowl: Wisconsin 17- Stanford 9

Rose Bowl; Wisconsin 38- UCLA 31

Composite Results:

Wisconsin versus SEC 2-2, Wisconsin versus Pac 10 3-0, Wisconsin Versus Big 12 1-0

Ohio State:

Lost to Florida

Beat Notre Dame

Beat Oklahoma State

Beat Kansas State

Beat Miami

Lost to South Carolina

Lost to South Carolina

Beat Texas A&M

Composite: Versus SEC 0-3, versus Big 12 3-0, Versus ACC 1-0, Versus Indpendent 1-0

Michigan and this is where the whole Big 10 losses in bowl games comes from:

Rose Jan. 1, 2007 USC Loss

Alamo Dec. 28, 2005 Nebraska L, 28-32

Rose Jan. 1, 2005 Texas L, 37-38

Rose Jan. 1, 2004 USC L, 14-28

Outback Jan. 1, 2003 Florida W, 38-30

Florida Citrus Jan. 2, 2002 Tennessee L, 17-45

Florida Citrus Jan. 1, 2001 Auburn W, 31-28

Orange Jan. 1, 2000 Alabama W, 35-34 (OT)

Citrus Jan. 1, 1999 Arkansas W, 45-31

Rose Jan. 1, 1998 Washington St W, 21-16

Yes they have lost the last 4. But before that they were 5-1.

Composite: SEC 4-1, Pac 10 1-2, Big 12 0-2

Missouri History:

Sun Dec. 29, 2006 Oregon St Loss

Independence Dec. 30, 2005 South Carolina W, 38-31

Independence Dec. 31, 2003 Arkansas L, 14-27

Insight.com Dec. 26, 1998 West Virginia W, 34-31

Holiday Dec. 29, 1997 Colorado St L, 35-24

Holiday Dec. 23, 1983 BYU L, 17-21

Tangerine Dec. 19, 1981 Southern Miss W, 19-17

Liberty Dec. 27, 1980 Purdue L, 25-28

Since 1980 Missouri is 3-5..

I can keep getting more stats, but I think it speaks for themselves. The Big 10 is one of the best conferences every year, the top teams generally win their bowl games unless they are mismatched. A lot of times the Big 10 gets 2 BCS teams which means that their lower teams get paired with much better teams from other conferences. For example last year Michigan who was #2 in the Big 10 was matched with USC who was #1 in the Pac 10.On the other hand, Big 12 generally only sends 1 to the BCS so then they get to play "weaker" teams from the other conference. Nebraska (Big 12 #3) was matched with Auburn (Sec #4) and lost. Texas (Big 12 #2) barely beat Iowa (big 10 #5), Oklahoma (Big 12 #1) lost to a WAC member. Texas Tech who was 4-4 in big 12 play, barely beat Minnesota who was 3-5 in big 10 play and their only victories came against MSU (only beat NU in big 10 last year), NU, and Indiana.

Outside of 2 games, where are all these "blow outs"?

Its pretty clear that the records of OSU in bowl games versus Missouri speaks for itself, I dont know if you just have an axe to grind against the Big 10, or you just dont watch a lot of Big 10 football. But the facts dont really agree with your sentiments.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:13 PM)
BAHAHAHAH LSU concerned about OSU? I highly doubt it. What is their threat? Did they get faster from last year? no. The big Ten was weak as ever. It's funny seeing the Big 10 every year coming with their overrated rankings after their seasons playing overrated teams and then they get into bowls and get blown out.

huh? OSU has been the second most dominant program in college football this decade after USC, OSU boasting five league titles to the Trojans' six, one national title USC's two and three BCS bowl victories to SC's four.

Florida coming out and beating OSU last year has made them a slow, overrated conference just like that? Its very easy to tell who just started watching college football. Funny how playing Texas back to back years was never a problem with people and OSU's schedule, we have also scheduled USC, VT, and Miami in the next several seasons. This year Washington was supposed to be a tough opponent, and we played them on the road.

# The Big Ten was 2-1 vs. the SEC in this past season's bowl games.

# The Big Ten is 8-6 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last five years

# The Big Ten is 13-13 vs. the SEC in bowl games over the last decade.

# Over the last nine years of Bowl Championship Series games, the Big Ten leads all conferences with 15 berths while ranking second with eight victories. The SEC tops all leagues with nine wins and ranks second to the Big Ten with 13 appearances.

# In the last 10 years the Big Ten has produced two national champions compared to three for the SEC.

# In the last 15 years the Big Ten has produced five Heisman Trophy winners, more than any other conference. Over that same time span, the SEC has claimed one Heisman.

Still sitting here trying to figure out this overrated blow out claim.....Big 12 little man syndrome? I have no idea.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 06:40 PM)
They really ran up those points, spread offenses are CRAZY new in the Big Ten.

I think NU's been running the spread since Barnett was there...that's more than 10 years ago. And you could argue that Purdue also does, since Tiller got there. So:

Northwestern

Purdue

Indiana

Illinois

All run spread offenses. Hmmm...

Here's the deal, Mizzou deserves to be in the title game if they beat OU. If not, hello Cotton Bowl.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
huh? OSU has been the second most dominant program in college football this decade after USC, OSU boasting five league titles to the Trojans' six, one national title USC's two and three BCS bowl victories to SC's four.

Florida coming out and beating OSU last year has made them a slow, overrated conference just like that? Its very easy to tell who just started watching college football. Funny how playing Texas back to back years was never a problem with people and OSU's schedule, we have also scheduled USC, VT, and Miami in the next several seasons. This year Washington was supposed to be a tough opponent, and we played them on the road.

Still sitting here trying to figure out this overrated blow out claim.....Big 12 little man syndrome? I have no idea.

First off, I am not the one complaining about strength of schedule. It's the big 10 fans who are whining about how anyone can have the audacity to rank a team from a different conference be ranked ahead of OSU. I'm glad OSU scheduled that game against texas, that proved some great games. Missouri scheduled a big ten team, and SEC team and a Mac team for their out of conference schedule this year. The players won these games that were put ahead of them. Apparently that's reason to punish them for not skipping their schedule to instead play whoever was the flavor of the month on top of the polls for the moment...oh how about wisconsin at #5, that would've made us look good. Oooh, not so much. Maybe Cal at #2 would've helped us? s***. no.

The 00's

Big 12 National Championships: 2

Big 12 National Championship appearances: 4

Big 10 National Championships: 1

Big 10 National Championship appearances: 2

Big 12 doesn't need to prove it's resume. But yes, I feel that if OSU couldn't compete with Florida's speed when they had Ginn and the like, they wouldn't do well against west virgina - who is basically Illinois' rushing attack x5, U of I has the talent to get there but WVU has had this crew together for a couple years now.

And for that crack about spread offenses, yeah with lesser talent those spread offenses have allowed them more success than they should have.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
Its pretty clear that the records of OSU in bowl games versus Missouri speaks for itself, I dont know if you just have an axe to grind against the Big 10, or you just dont watch a lot of Big 10 football. But the facts dont really agree with your sentiments.

C'mon dude, comparing Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan in the last several years to Missouri as your convincing Big 10 vs. Big 12 argument? Seriously? You and I both know that doesn't show s***. Missouri doesn't have as much history as most of the rest of college football, everyone knows that. No one said otherwise. You just compared 3 Big Ten powers (being a bit generous to Wisconsin, close enough) to an average Big 12 team historically. What's the point of that? I know were trying to defend the Big Ten with records, but Missouri was not the point of comparison there.

Danman,

It wasnt a Big 12 versus Big 10 comparison, it was a response to:

It's funny seeing the Big 10 every year coming with their overrated rankings after their seasons playing overrated teams and then they get into bowls and get blown out.

Thats just not true, and a sentiment like that makes me believe that the person who said it has never watched any college football.

As for comparing Missouri it was to show:

How can you use the Big 10 not doing well in bowl games a premises for believing that OSU should not be in a bowl game when Missouri has done nothing in bowl games to warrant selection. I didnt bring up bowl games, a Missouri fan did as a reason why OSU should not be in one.

And your right its ridiculous to compare Missouri, its also ridiculous to use "we scheduled Illinois" as a reason why you have a stronger schedule than any big 10 team. Right now Illinois is Missouri's best victory, whats funny is that for the top Big 10 teams going into this season they considered Illinois an automatic victory.

In the end I feel that if the season ended today OSU v Missouri should be the NC Title game. I have less respect for the Big East than the Big 12 and I think conference power should play a role when 3 teams have the same record.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
In the end I feel that if the season ended today OSU v Missouri should be the NC Title game. I have less respect for the Big East than the Big 12 and I think conference power should play a role when 3 teams have the same record.

True story.

I don't know why you guys have been arguing Mizzou vs. tOSU when it's obvious that WVU has played the weakest schedule of the 3 teams. Not saying WVU wouldn't have a chance of winning against Mizzou or the Bucks but the Big East is a joke this year and if your simply comparing schedules they are the least battle-tested. The only reason they are ranked ahead of Ohio State is that they lost earlier in the year. I'm hoping against hope that Wanny can pull off the upset tomorrow because I'd love to see Missouri vs. Ohio State for the National Championship and the Illini in the Rose Bowl. Unfortunately, I think there's about a 1 percent chance of that happening.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
Danman,

It wasnt a Big 12 versus Big 10 comparison, it was a response to:

Thats just not true, and a sentiment like that makes me believe that the person who said it has never watched any college football.

As for comparing Missouri it was to show:

How can you use the Big 10 not doing well in bowl games a premises for believing that OSU should not be in a bowl game when Missouri has done nothing in bowl games to warrant selection. I didnt bring up bowl games, a Missouri fan did as a reason why OSU should not be in one.

And your right its ridiculous to compare Missouri, its also ridiculous to use "we scheduled Illinois" as a reason why you have a stronger schedule than any big 10 team. Right now Illinois is Missouri's best victory, whats funny is that for the top Big 10 teams going into this season they considered Illinois an automatic victory.

I think he was just bashing the Big 10, not saying Ohio State didn't belong because the Big 10 has struggled in bowl games. I'm a fan of a Big 10 team and defend the Big 10 to my friends here, but be honest, it's a down year for the conference (worse than last year and who knew that was possible). Ironically this (link) site has Big East 2, Big 12 3, Big 10 4.

Danman,

That site is exactly what Im talking about why RPI SOS is worthless.

Big 10 and SEC both post the highest percentage of wins OOC. Yet Big East and Big 12 are rated higher because in those 2 divisions you have teams like UConn, WVU, and Cinci who beat a bunch of bad teams and only lost to eachother. That makes all of their RPI and SOS go up, eventhough it proves nothing.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
I think he was just bashing the Big 10, not saying Ohio State didn't belong because the Big 10 has struggled in bowl games. I'm a fan of a Big 10 team and defend the Big 10 to my friends here, but be honest, it's a down year for the conference (worse than last year and who knew that was possible). Ironically this (link) site has Big East 2, Big 12 3, Big 10 4.

I dont see a whole bunch of struggling in Bowl games for the Big Ten, they have been even with the SEC for the last several years head to head, I guess then the SEC must be struggling.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
I dont see a whole bunch of struggling in Bowl games for the Big Ten, they have been even with the SEC for the last several years head to head, I guess then the SEC must be struggling.

I know, just saying that was his argument.