No worries as Rowand waits

spiderman

No worries as Rowand waits

Outfielder patient as agent handles business

Chicago Tribune Link To Story

Unlike Paul Konerko two years ago and Torii Hunter last week, Gold Glove center fielder Aaron Rowand isn't stressing over his free-agent status.

"I'm actually enjoying it," Rowand said Tuesday via phone from his home near Las Vegas. "We'll know when the time is right. Whatever happens, happens. Right now I'm just enjoying my off-season workouts and my time with my family. I let my agent (Craig Landis) handle that other stuff."

If decision time is nearing for teams such as the White Sox, Rowand is in no hurry.

"I want to weigh all my options before making a decision," Rowand said. "Hopefully that team will make the decision for me."

That could very well mean that for the right price, the Sox could reacquire Rowand, whom they dealt two years ago in a package for slugger Jim Thome.

Rowand, 30, has the comfort of knowing fans appreciate his fearless and unselfish style, and he's familiar with the city and the ballpark where he played for his first five seasons. Plus, nine members of the 2005 World Series championship team remain.

But the Sox have other issues besides landing a center fielder of Rowand's caliber. Rowand is destined to receive a multiyear deal that could rival some of the Sox's top-paid players after setting career bests with 27 home runs and 89 RBIs to go with a .309 batting average last season with Philadelphia.

The Dodgers, who were interested in Hunter, could shift their focus to Rowand, who grew up not far from Dodger Stadium in Glendora.

Rowand also expressed no bitterness over the Sox's heavy but unsuccessful pursuit of Hunter, who agreed to a five-year, $90 million contract with the Los Angeles Angels.

"I totally understand it," Rowand said.

But for now, Rowand said he isn't consumed with his destination — except when Landis calls him.

"Craig informs me on a few things," Rowand said. "He lets me know what's going on, but there is no timetable."

Meanwhile, center fielder Brian Anderson is in no hurry to decide whether to play for Mexicali in the Mexican Pacific League. Anderson was to take live batting practice Tuesday at the University of San Diego for the first time since he injured his left wrist July 6 with Triple-A Charlotte.

"As of now, my health is good and I can't complain," Anderson said. "I just want to take this all the way to spring training."

Anderson, 25, the Sox's first-round pick in 2003, said he is solely focused on preparing for 2008 and isn't thinking about whether he should play in Mexico this winter or whom the Sox will put in center.

"We all know this is a business," Anderson said. "If they get a center fielder, we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

"If they believe getting a center fielder is in their best interests, then that's their belief. My goal is to play in the bigs in 2008."

Anderson said he would continue to hit in San Diego and talk to agent Terry Bross before deciding whether to play in Mexico for the second half of the winter.

Anderson's health could dictate whether he could be part of a trade, perhaps for third baseman Miguel Cabrera. Florida is said to be seeking four prospects in any deal.

But Anderson isn't consumed with his future.

"I haven't felt this good in a while," Anderson said. "I just want to be ready."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
1.) Fuku

2.) Andruw

3.) Row

Why Fuku ?

Am I the only one who has some concern about giving a guy $10+ who hasn't played in the majors, and hasn't made a decision about whether he's coming or not ?

Granted, I don't want to overpay for Rowand either, but why Fuku ?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
I forgot about Fukodome... He'd probably be my no. 1 choice as well.

After picking up Cabrera to fill the gaping hole we had at #2 in the batting order, I am back to preferring Jones. He'd be more money, but he's also a bigger power bat, he's younger, and he's likely a significantly better defensive CF (Fukudome at least is rumored to be more of a corner OF guy).

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Why Fuku ?

Am I the only one who has some concern about giving a guy $10+ who hasn't played in the majors, and hasn't made a decision about whether he's coming or not ?

Granted, I don't want to overpay for Rowand either, but why Fuku ?

OBP baby. He's probably going to get a 3 year deal which is so much better than giving 5 years to any of the others, he's going to make $3-$5M less a year than either Jones or Rowand and he's an OBP beast. I'd stick him in the leadoff spot and watch the runs role in. Big time Japanese position players have a pretty damn good track record, aside from Kazuo Matsui I'm having trouble thinking of any other busts.

As with most people here, I'm a big Aaron Rowand fan. But I do not believe he is worth the money being discussed. Same with Andruw Jones. The guy I want is Coco Crisp. I believe Boston wants to move him and he could be had for a mid-level prospect or two, not to mention a salary much lower than Rowand or Jones will command. Crisp won't provide the power, but he'll give you a solid BA, pretty good OBP and speed on the bases. And with Konerko, Dye, Thome, AJ, Crede and/or Fields, do we really need more power? Plus, if Crisp is not on par with Rowand or Jones defensively, he's pretty damn close. Factor in the amount of money freed up by not going after the bigger names and we could pursue another bullpen guy, or another corner outfielder. To me it's a no-brainer.

Whether he admits it or not Rowand's favoritism towards the sox has lowered because they went after Hunter first. He now knows the money we offered Torii and it's all about the money now. If they want him here there will be no discounts, at least not any substantials ones. Unless CF is an issue KW is going to address this offseason I don't see us getting into any bidding wars for Rowand or Fukudome.

A lot different than I imagined during the season. Everyone had Rowand pegged to be back especially after his interview when he said he would narrow it down to one team he would want to go to.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)
What exactly is a "solid" OBP? .320? .330? A solid AVG? .265? Covelli has been a terrible offensive player over the past 2 seasons.

He's also been injured. He didn't suddenly lose all his talent over the last two years While he isn't the #1 guy we need, he could certainly be the #2 guy we need. I'm pushing for Andruw and Covelli. If not possible, I'll take Fukodome and Covelli or Corey Patterson.

Just a question, not a flame.

How come so many fans at the Cell love Rowand and he gets a lot of hate on here?

Is it because the fans here are very negative or the Cell fans are idiots?

I am not dying to get Rowand, but wouldn't mind it at all.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:53 AM)
Just a question, not a flame.

How come so many fans at the Cell love Rowand and he gets a lot of hate on here?

Is it because the fans here are very negative or the Cell fans are idiots?

I am not dying to get Rowand, but wouldn't mind it at all.

Quite frankly because some fans consider Rowand to be a godsend, while others on here remember his .740ish OPS in 2005; those fans that consider Rowand a godsend are horribly mistaken, and those that compare him only to that mediocre OPS aren't giving him the credit he quite deserves.

And for the right price, Rowand should be option #1 at this point.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 03:15 AM)
Quite frankly because some fans consider Rowand to be a godsend, while others on here remember his .740ish OPS in 2005; those fans that consider Rowand a godsend are horribly mistaken, and those that compare him only to that mediocre OPS aren't giving him the credit he quite deserves.

And for the right price, Rowand should be option #1 at this point.

Have to agree. And given this article versus Cowley's, I am not at all convinced that Rowand is "out of the picture". If you don't read the headline and just read the article, it feels more like "Rowand and Sox not on same page", which is a very different thing than saying he's just not a possibility.

No doubt KW has other things going too, but I doubt he has written off Rowand yet.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:13 AM)
Whether he admits it or not Rowand's favoritism towards the sox has lowered because they went after Hunter first. He now knows the money we offered Torii and it's all about the money now. If they want him here there will be no discounts, at least not any substantials ones. Unless CF is an issue KW is going to address this offseason I don't see us getting into any bidding wars for Rowand or Fukudome.

A lot different than I imagined during the season. Everyone had Rowand pegged to be back especially after his interview when he said he would narrow it down to one team he would want to go to.

For the $60-70 million he is talking about, I am sure he will get over it...

Hunter was suppose to be coming here-- he didn't.

Rowand is supposed to go eleswhere-- I wouldn't be suprised if he came here. Its how the whole negotiations go in free agency. As KW said, its a very tricky thing. KW could call him up today and sign him up for all we know.... After all, i thought we were suppose to get at least "1 big fish" ? I wouldn't call ARow a big fish, but around here and in chicago he is freakin Moby Dick.