Wii

Middle Buffalo

If you are considering a PS2, why not a Wii?

He seems to like Nintendo characters from his DS; wouldn't a Wii be a natural progression?

PS: My cousin's 4 year-old nephew kicked my ass in Wii Sports last Thanksgiving.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
If you are considering a PS2, why not a Wii?

He seems to like Nintendo characters from his DS; wouldn't a Wii be a natural progression?

PS: My cousin's 4 year-old nephew kicked my ass in Wii Sports last Thanksgiving.

Well, for starters, a Wii is twice as expensive. But, really, I don't know too much about modern video games (haven't played at all since Sega NHL '94 - in 1994). I just want to know if the games on the Wii are going to be too complicated for an 8,6 and 4 year old. I know my son has played PS2, but not Wii. Sounds like something he can handle. I'll be quite the hero if I get it for him. I hear Santa will get the credit, though. Thanks to all for the input.

What games would you recommend for starters on the Wii?

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 07:40 AM)
Well, for starters, a Wii is twice as expensive. But, really, I don't know too much about modern video games (haven't played at all since Sega NHL '94 - in 1994). I just want to know if the games on the Wii are going to be too complicated for an 8,6 and 4 year old. I know my son has played PS2, but not Wii. Sounds like something he can handle. I'll be quite the hero if I get it for him. I hear Santa will get the credit, though. Thanks to all for the input.

Wii is very pick-up and playish. It much less complicated than really anything else out there, and suitable for all ages.

It comes with a great game already, Wii Sports, which is what you'll spend your most time playing.

Other than than, I would reccomend first the bevy of Mario titles. Mario Strikers(soccer) first, then Mario Party, Mario Galaxy, WarioWare, and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games.

Then I would say, for the younger crowd, Rayman Raving Rabbids(1 or 2), MLB Power Pros, Guitar Hero III, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, and anything on the Virtual console

Do you know what he plays on his DS? There's probably a good counterpart availble for the Wii, so you can always do that.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
My 8 year old son wants a Wii. Is he too young? Would he be satisfied with just getting a PS2? He only has a Nintendo DS right now, but I'm considering a Wii.

Do the kid a favor, buy him a PS3. It'll hit full stride later this year. :D

Though, the system is probably too much for the youngin's. But might as well start them off right!

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:40 AM)

You can just go ahead and download all of the old nintendo and sega games you played when you were a kid and let your son play them on wii. They have the catalogs for NES, SNES, N64, Neo Geo, Sega, Sega Genesis, and Turbo Graphix that they are gradually releasing for download(for a small fee of course) on the Wii channel.

As for the complication of the system, the entire Wii was designed to let kids play adults on a level playing field. Its really fun, you should check it out. If you are looking at prices though, stick with the PS2.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
You mean go outside and play? What, is this the 1950's?

Well after the parents hire coaches, trainers, nutritionists, have the fields checked by OSHA for any safety hazards, contact their attorneys, perform background checks on the other kids and their parents, organize a play group, incorporate, vote officers, beam their schedules, exchange emails, and let the kids be kids

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 07:09 PM)
My 4 year old son kicks my butt on the Wii. His favorite games are the bowling game in the Wii Sports that comes with the system, Rampage and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

The Wii is perfectly aimed at all ages, but not "gamers".

Zelda, Metroid, and Mario Galaxy are about as gamerish as you can get as is the concept of the Virtual Console. I'd say it's suitable for just about anyone.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
My 4 year old son kicks my butt on the Wii. His favorite games are the bowling game in the Wii Sports that comes with the system, Rampage and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

The Wii is perfectly aimed at all ages, but not "gamers".

Rampage is FUN! But if you are playing it with 2 players, make sure to leave enough space between you or someone could get a black eye. :bang

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
Rampage is FUN! But if you are playing it with 2 players, make sure to leave enough space between you or someone could get a black eye. :bang

That goes for Wii Sports Tennis also! My neighbor and I dang near destroyed my family room playing that one night. EVERYBODY went running from the room once we really got going!

Judging from all I have been reading over the past few months, most true blue gamers are still playing a "wait and see" attitude with the Wii. Mario Galaxy has been the big proof to them that the Wii could be a GREAT system, but as long as Nintendo chooses to cater mostly to the non-die hards and releasing mini-game extravaganzas, they are all sticking to their 360's and PS units. Nintendo knows what main market they are going to attack, and it does not appear that the gamer is their goal. Their goal is to create gamers out of us non-gamers, and give us a few true gaming style games to ease us into that world.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
Judging from all I have been reading over the past few months, most true blue gamers are still playing a "wait and see" attitude with the Wii. Mario Galaxy has been the big proof to them that the Wii could be a GREAT system, but as long as Nintendo chooses to cater mostly to the non-die hards and releasing mini-game extravaganzas, they are all sticking to their 360's and PS units. Nintendo knows what main market they are going to attack, and it does not appear that the gamer is their goal. Their goal is to create gamers out of us non-gamers, and give us a few true gaming style games to ease us into that world.

I disagree. Nintendo is about as hardcore game developer that you'll hear of. Of course they produce a bunch of mini and non-game crap too, but their the biggest developer in the world by a wide margin. They have the resources to produce both...and they do, as evidenced by them producing the game of the year back to back with Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy. There is a ton of harcore, excellent "gamer" titles out there for the Wii. You just have to know where to look.

B>W what do you think of Galaxy? I got it last weekend. It's already the second-highest rated game ever on gamerankings.com. I'm really impressed by the gameplay and creativity/originality, but I'm finding it way too easy so far (I have about 20 stars to give you an idea of where I am). Hopefully it gets more challenging.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)
B>W what do you think of Galaxy? I got it last weekend. It's already the second-highest rated game ever on gamerankings.com. I'm really impressed by the gameplay and creativity/originality, but I'm finding it way too easy so far (I have about 20 stars to give you an idea of where I am). Hopefully it gets more challenging.

I'm about where you are. Very impressed for the same reasons. I heard about 30 stars in it starts to get pretty tough.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)

If you've only got 20 stars, you're only 1/3 of the way to being able to rescue the princess, and really only 1/6th of the way to collecting all of the starts.... from there you unlock Luigi and can play the game over as him. So you've got 1/12th of the game finished.

I'm up to 110, though I can't take full credit (or blame)some of them were obtained while I sat and watched over thanksgiving weekend.

It gets more challenging... Lately, I've been picking it up for about 30 minutes a day, trying to get just 1 star... It takes a number of tries (10-20 sometimes) on some of these stars. I've seen every level now. The last ten are gonna take even more trial and error, I've tried all of them at least once, and come away from some of them wondering how I'm ever going to get it. But I've thought that about many of the last 20 I've picked up.

I'm glad to hear that. I think I unlocked every galaxy in the fountain (?) in one sitting of about an hour, getting several stars in just a couple minutes. The boss battles so far are cake, I was a bit worried. The increased challenges you're talking about in the 2nd half of the game should make it so much more rewarding. Tomb Raider 2 for PS remains one of my all-time favorite games just because it was so f***ing difficult.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
I'm glad to hear that. I think I unlocked every galaxy in the fountain (?) in one sitting of about an hour, getting several stars in just a couple minutes. The boss battles so far are cake, I was a bit worried. The increased challenges you're talking about in the 2nd half of the game should make it so much more rewarding. Tomb Raider 2 for PS remains one of my all-time favorite games just because it was so f***ing difficult.

none of the bosses are that difficult, even at the end. But the overall gameplay gets more challenging. And when you're trying to collect 120 stars, repeating levels in new ways, you're challenged consistently.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
Zelda, Metroid, and Mario Galaxy are about as gamerish as you can get as is the concept of the Virtual Console. I'd say it's suitable for just about anyone.

Outside of that is squat, though. I guess I'm a gamer, but I'm not putting down $300 for a console when it'll only have 3 games worth playing. Besides, the PC market is currently developing a motion censored camera that doesn't require a nunchuck and can judge the user with depth perception. And it's only supposed to cost $60. And I know graphics are essentially worthless and nothing more than a perk, but the games on the Wii look like crap.

In the end, the Wii will have a library full of innovative first-party titles that kick ass just like every Nintendo system in the past. Obviously they will be totally exclusive to the system, unlike the top games for 360/ps3. It's not like we have these three games, and that's all we're going to get forever. Is any real console gamer besides yourself going to be swayed away from purchasing a Wii because someone is developing a motion sensor for PC games? I doubt it.

I got the Wii for my kids for Christmas.

We only have one game so far (not sure of the title - rabbid rabbits or something). It comes with a sports bundle (tennis, bowling, golf, boxing, and baseball). I haven't played much, but I did manage to hit a 606ft HR on the baseball practice, and I hit the heavy bag a little this morning. My arms need a break.