Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
Why did you decide to move back? I actually have Austin on the short list of cities I'd like to move to.

Wife is being transferred back to Chicago. We are also having our first child, and while we would have definitely stayed in Austin, it's going to be nice to have family around.

By all means, move to Austin if you can. It's a great city! And you are just far enough from places like Kap-opolis and Texsoxville to make it enjoyable!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Wife is being transferred back to Chicago. We are also having our first child, and while we would have definitely stayed in Austin, it's going to be nice to have family around.

By all means, move to Austin if you can. It's a great city! And you are just far enough from places like Kap-opolis and Texsoxville to make it enjoyable!

I'd transfer to Austin in a heart beat.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
I'd transfer to Austin in a heart beat.

The only issue I have with Austin is the growth. The Chamber of Commerce has the hard sell on the area. Very tech savvy region. Great campus. Seat of Texas government (adios, mofos). The issue is...the current infrastructure can't handle the people that are already here. Ans last I saw, Austin is the 2nd or 3rd fastest growing city in the country. And it's only going to get worse.

But if you can live close to Central Austin a lot of those problems kinda disappear...to you at least. And ifyou love Tex-Mex, and I do and am going to miss it terribly, this is the place to be. *sigh*

But then again, I'll get to go to more Sox games!!!

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
Pet peeve, TV and radio ads, shows etc, that have ringing phones in the background. Wthout a Trace is terrible for this. At least once an episode I think my ohone is ringing.

Dammit, I'm an old man and can't always get it up

Sorry for your luck, old timer.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)
The only issue I have with Austin is the growth. The Chamber of Commerce has the hard sell on the area. Very tech savvy region. Great campus. Seat of Texas government (adios, mofos). The issue is...the current infrastructure can't handle the people that are already here. Ans last I saw, Austin is the 2nd or 3rd fastest growing city in the country. And it's only going to get worse.

But if you can live close to Central Austin a lot of those problems kinda disappear...to you at least. And ifyou love Tex-Mex, and I do and am going to miss it terribly, this is the place to be. *sigh*

But then again, I'll get to go to more Sox games!!!

And what's #1? Fort Worth, Texas. And damn don't I know it. Talk about infastructure that can't handle the population. WTF is I35W a two lane highway for leading into downtown Fort Worth? Dumbasses.

Actually, in June of this year is when the population of Fort Worth is supposed to cross over and be larger then Dallas.

The metroplex is one growing blob.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
And what's #1? Fort Worth, Texas. And damn don't I know it. Talk about infastructure that can't handle the population. WTF is I35W a two lane highway for leading into downtown Fort Worth? Dumbasses.

Actually, in June of this year is when the population of Fort Worth is supposed to cross over and be larger then Dallas.

The metroplex is one growing blob.

Urban growth boundaries could have helped prevent some of the mess.

(One of the reasons Portland is first on my list.)

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
Urban growth boundaries could have helped prevent some of the mess.

(One of the reasons Portland is first on my list.)

Sure - but when you have space down here like you do, there's no reason to not take advantage of it, or so the theory goes. I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just the way things are down here. Read: access roads right along the freeways. Talk about wasted space, yet it's pretty damn efficient for traffic.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 01:04 AM)
I was reading wikipedia regarding rickrolling earlier.

There was actually a poll done where they found that approximately 18 million people have been rickrolled since 2006.

Link please.

;)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 07:14 AM)
Yesterday made 172 days since Chicago recorded a high temp of 70 degrees or higher... The all-time record is 184. The average distance between 70 degree days over the winter is 145 days.

:(

Our low temp last night was above 70. :lol:

And yes, the appropriate response to my post is:

post_2344_1207876462_thumb.jpg

I have been on a bit of a paranoid streak this past week. I have diagnosed myself with pancreatic and or stomach cancer,brain tumor,and sepsis.The sad part about it is that for moments I actually believed that I had these things.Being completely ignorant to the human anatomy is something I wish I could be.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
Wow... I just got a call from the head of this program at MU saying that I've been granted a job interview tonight for one of the Accounting internship positions. I thought nothing was going to come of the 'workshop' that was held this weekend, and just like that... an interview. Anyone have any general tips, anything I can do to prepare? Obviously I'm going to want to research the company more. As far as what to bring (besides my winning personality -- BOO YAH!)... it's fair for me, the interviewee, to bring a pen and something to write on, yes?

Boy am I nervous.

EDIT: My main question is what I should bring... Resume? Cover letter? Writing utensils and (obviously) something to write on? References? If I bring the references, can I just have those at the bottom of my resume? And -- I wasn't really expecting this, so this has jumped up on me and it's why I'm not terribly prepared -- do I need specifics with those references?

Keith, let me know the accounting company. Depending on the firm (hell it could be the firm I work for) I may know some people (accounting profession is a small world) and can throw out a kind word or something.

In terms of the interview, google interview questions and read through the list and develop answers. Mainly just have a couple of things that you plan on discuss when they ask for strenghts or weaknesses and an example of times where you worked in teams. That way you at least know where you are going to go.

This is obviously a little late of course (since you've already interviewed), otherwise I'd hop onto my computer and shoot you over a few resume templates that I have.

Thanks for the interviewing tips, guys -- I appreciate them all, sorry it took me so long to pass along a thank you.

Jason -- it wasn't an accounting firm, it was the accounting department at a Milwaukee-based company called Direct Supply. I haven't gotten word back from them but there were also two other fellas at school who were interviewing for the same open positions (it was part of a program that I signed up for and was accepted into that basically allowed me the opportunity to interview -- sort of confusing, I know) and they haven't received calls back either, so I'm hoping for something early in the week. If not, as DBAHO said, it was great experience as it was my first 'real' interview.

Speaking of which, Jason, may I ask -- what route did you go? Did you major in accounting and then go straight for the CPA exam? And if so, how many years were you in school for? I met with my advisor and he brought up an interesting thing besides the typical MBA and CPA routes that I always thought about, and that's law school. I'll be taking my first business law course next semester so I'm looking forward to seeing whether I enjoy that class.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 12:33 AM)
So school was canceled for Monday due to bomb threats. Weird.

More than likely Brother Rice administrators are covering their own asses and taking action because of the vague threats which canceled St. Xavier's classes next week.

If some outlandish scenario occured where whatever happened at SXU spilled onto Brother Rice there would definitely be some angry people wondering why nothing was done prior to address the problem. As unfair as it would be, you know it'd happen. Canceling classes doesn't solve an isolated issue involving a separate school, obviously, but it atleast proves to people -- in the event of an emergency -- that the were concerned about your safety.

Edited by Flash Tizzle