Least favorite Sox players

Marky Mark

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
If they wore a Sox uniform I loved them. You can't "hate" any Sox or former Sox player. Now if you say "disappointment: that's a different story.

Maybe in your twisted mind. Just because Timo wore the silver and black while he stole close to a million dollars from JR and the Share Holders doesn't mean I'm going to hate him any less.

Donning a Sox jersey for a couple of games does not make a player impervious to the disdain of the fans.

I remember a few things about relief pitchers that were fringe in our system. Didn't Paniagua do something like flick off the crowd or something and IIRC, didn't Pena get threatened to be shot by a gunman if he hit another St. Louis Cardinal batter?

QUOTE(Heartattack19 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Charlie O'Brien played for the sox the first part of 1998, i think he was the first White Sox Catcher to wear the Hockey style catcher's mask.

God, Mike Bertotti, Todd Rizzo, Pat Daneker, Chris Clemons, Nelson Cruz, why do i still remember these names, for some reason i still have a Larry Thomas card hanging on my bulletin board. It has been there so long, i think it would be illegal to take it down!

Not only was he the first one to wear it, he invented it. He got together with a company that made the hockey masks and helped develop it for baseball.

I've got a game used bat from him.

Bobby Bonds is probably the worst guy I can think of. I don't dislike pplayers if they are bad but try. I dislike them if they are asses. The apple didn't fall far from the tree!!!!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
Pasqua did stink.

Another guy would be Bobby Bonds.

He sucked as a Sox.

Bobby was with us less than a full year wasn't he? He brought the Cubs Sosa from Texas via the Sox though. The Cubbie fans probably luved Bobby

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
Age has always been a releative number with Sosa anyway. For all we know, he was 16 then.

Which means absolutely nothing in this case. Point is, he didn't even sign with a major league team (at the reported age of 16) until 4 years after Bonds retired.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
How?

Lets see if we can find a link.

The White Sox got Bonds from the Angels along with Thad Bosley and Richard Dotson for Brian Downing, Chris Knapp, and Dave Frost over the winter of 77/78. He wore out his welcome fast and was traded to the Rangers in May 1978 for Claudell Washington and Rusty Torres. He bounced around with three more teams, including 45 games with the grub in '81 and played his final game October 4, 1981.

Mr. Washington was moved in in 1980 to the Mets for Jesse Anderson who never played in the big leagues. The White Sox got the better of the deal. Rusty Torres was released by the White Sox in 1980.

Sammy Sosa signed as a free agent with Texas in 1985 and made his MLB debut at the age of 20 on June 16, 1989. He was traded in 1989 with Wilson Alvarez and Scott Fletcher to the White Sox for Harold Baines and Fred Manrique.

He was then traded in 1992 by the White Sox with Ken Patterson to the Vermin for George Bell.

No connection I can see. I hope our friend is not confusing Bobby Bonds with Harold Baines, that would be truly blasphemous.

Both Damaso Marte and Billy Koch had tremendous game blowing ability

Brandon Mcarthy - I swear the rangers visited this site daily and never watched his game footage in order to give up danks for him. seriously, thanks soxtalk for over hyping this trash pile

Jerry Manuel was awful too

Brian Anderson is quickly climbing the list of sucktitude

Marte wasn't that bad. If anything, he made me think less of sox fans. He was a young guy that was booed AT HOME each night before he got a chance to redeem himself. Even in his worst year he was a half decent reliever. Its one thing to be booed on the road. You feel like a villian. That's a good thing that can be comfortable. Its another to get booed at home. It just makes you feel like s***. At least in my short sports career, that's how I felt. And before someone asks- no, I wasn't a baseball player, I wasn't that great at playing ball. I was a boxer. Hell, I wasn't even that good at that. Just a normal golden gloves passerby.

Made me think we were no better than cubs fans, seriously.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 16, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
Not only was he the first one to wear it, he invented it. He got together with a company that made the hockey masks and helped develop it for baseball.

I've got a game used bat from him.

Bobby Bonds is probably the worst guy I can think of. I don't dislike pplayers if they are bad but try. I dislike them if they are asses. The apple didn't fall far from the tree!!!!

Just like hawk and the batting glove? lol

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 01:31 AM)
I go back to about the '82 season. A lot of players had their ups and downs but none sucked so badly and was a bigger jackass than Jaime Navarro. His tenure on the south side still sticks in my craw. Honorable mention goes to Tony Phillips (good call by a couple posters).

As a manager Terry Boom Boom Bevington is in the same camp, although I did not care much for Gene Lamont either. I still remember him saving a banged up Thomas for the 1993 World Series before the pennant was wrapped up.

I am surprised I did not catch any Todd Ritchie votes. Maybe I missed it but he was really craptastic.

Jaime Navarro played in 1982 with the Sox? :unsure:

Ok, Now i catch you're Drift :)

Yeah he was bad, I don't like to put down players from here but Jaime was Bad, He was bad and had an excuse for everything. I mean i remeber the game against the orioles the Sox gave him 9 runs and he coughed those up in the next half inning, then went on to say he didn't get any run support...

Marte wasn't that bad. If anything, he made me think less of sox fans. He was a young guy that was booed AT HOME each night before he got a chance to redeem himself. Even in his worst year he was a half decent reliever. Its one thing to be booed on the road. You feel like a villian. That's a good thing that can be comfortable. Its another to get booed at home. It just makes you feel like s***. At least in my short sports career, that's how I felt. And before someone asks- no, I wasn't a baseball player, I wasn't that great at playing ball. I was a boxer. Hell, I wasn't even that good at that. Just a normal golden gloves passerby.

Made me think we were no better than cubs fans, seriously.

Marte was terrible in 2005. His WHIP was always high but there was a huge split in his ERA in the first and second halves.

1st half: 2.81 ERA, 1.64 WHIP

2nd half: 5.03 ERA, 1.83 WHIP

As you can see, in the first half his ERA was lower because he was routinely bailed out by Politte, and Hermanson. He was surpassed by Neal Cotts as the go-to lefty guy as I recall Damaso facing two lefty Royals (one being Matt Stairs) and beaning both of them.

Hermanson:

1st Half: 1.53 ERA, 1.10 WHIP

2nd Half: 2.86 ERA, 1.09 WHIP

Politte:

1st half: 1.02 ERA, .74 WHIP (ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I remember a huge thread deabting on how he should be an All-star)

2nd half: 3.09 ERA, 1.16 WHIP

As you can see, they carried this guy's jock, and even when they still pitched great, but not as great in the first half, Damaso's numbers were exposed.

Cotts:

1st half: 2.86 ERA, 1.13 WHIP

2nd half: 0.70 ERA, 1.09 WHIP

QUOTE(rackemup @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 02:58 AM)
Both Damaso Marte and Billy Koch had tremendous game blowing ability

Brandon Mcarthy - I swear the rangers visited this site daily and never watched his game footage in order to give up danks for him. seriously, thanks soxtalk for over hyping this trash pile

Damaso was fantastic for two years.

Brandon's era was almost a full run better than Danks' last season.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Marte was terrible in 2005. His WHIP was always high but there was a huge split in his ERA in the first and second halves.

1st half: 2.81 ERA, 1.64 WHIP

2nd half: 5.03 ERA, 1.83 WHIP

As you can see, in the first half his ERA was lower because he was routinely bailed out by Politte, and Hermanson. He was surpassed by Neal Cotts as the go-to lefty guy as I recall Damaso facing two lefty Royals (one being Matt Stairs) and beaning both of them.

Hermanson:

1st Half: 1.53 ERA, 1.10 WHIP

2nd Half: 2.86 ERA, 1.09 WHIP

Politte:

1st half: 1.02 ERA, .74 WHIP (ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I remember a huge thread deabting on how he should be an All-star)

2nd half: 3.09 ERA, 1.16 WHIP

As you can see, they carried this guy's jock, and even when they still pitched great, but not as great in the first half, Damaso's numbers were exposed.

Cotts:

1st half: 2.86 ERA, 1.13 WHIP

2nd half: 0.70 ERA, 1.09 WHIP

Did you just contradict your whole argument with cott's numbers?