Thome not going anywhere after this year

palehose23

Jim Thome only needs 564 Plate appearances this season to guarantee his 2009 contract. So for those with ideas of Konerko or Dye moving to DH in '09 just a heads up.

From Cot's

Jim Thome dh-1b

6 years/$85M (2003-08), plus $13M 2009 club option

acquired in trade 11/05, with Phillies paying $22M to White Sox as part of deal (about half of remaining salaries & buyout)

$10M signing bonus (paid in 4 installments of $2.5M, 2003-06)

03:$9.5M, 04:$10.5M, 05:$11.5M, 06:$12.5M, 07:$14M, 08:$14M, 09:$13M club option ($3M buyout)

2009 option guaranteed with 600 PAs in 2007 or 1,100 PAs in 2007-08

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thome only had 432 ABs last year and 490 the year before. If he gets his AB's needs to secure his option, the Sox will probably want him back. Dye needs to be moved to left, and if the Sox can get a nice deal, Konerko may be more likely to not be here in 2009.

That's due to his huge walk total. It's based on PA's, not at-bats.

I'm quoting Gene Honda Civic onthis, but I believe there is a handshake agreement between the Phills and Sox for Philly to pick up money if the option was picked up.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
That's due to his huge walk total. It's based on PA's, not at-bats.

I'm quoting Gene Honda Civic onthis, but I believe there is a handshake agreement between the Phills and Sox for Philly to pick up money if the option was picked up.

Ahh. Thanks. Unless he has a serious fall off, the Sox will want him back. I hope you are right about the Phils.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
And why would we NOT want Jimmy back at $13 million if he has a similar season to his first two here? I think it's something we should be happy about.

Couple potential issues. First, if he gets injured again this year...on the scale of his 05 injured season, where he misses much of the year. It's hard to think risking $13 mil for 7 home runs is a good idea. Second, if this team were to fall flat on its face again and actually reach the point of selling off Vazquez, or Konerko, or guys like that...if we were to attempt to save money in 09, then Thome wouldn't make much sense. Otherwise, we get another 40 dingers from him this year, there's no reason not to hold onto him next year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Couple potential issues. First, if he gets injured again this year...on the scale of his 05 injured season, where he misses much of the year. It's hard to think risking $13 mil for 7 home runs is a good idea. Second, if this team were to fall flat on its face again and actually reach the point of selling off Vazquez, or Konerko, or guys like that...if we were to attempt to save money in 09, then Thome wouldn't make much sense. Otherwise, we get another 40 dingers from him this year, there's no reason not to hold onto him next year.

I'm assuming he won't reach the PA's he needs if he gets injured as he did in 05'.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
I'm assuming he won't reach the PA's he needs if he gets injured as he did in 05'.

I was about to say the same thing. Assuming Thome's health is a risk.

However, I hope he gets the option, because that means he played all year and probably rocked 40/100 again. The man is a power machine.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
Ok, so here's the less likely but possible alternative...a late season injury. Gets enough PA's, but things look bad for 09.

Yeah, that's probably the worst-case scenario.

However, I wouldn't put it past Jim to restructure something with more flexibility for the club if that were to happen.

I also have quite a bit of confidence in his ability to work his way back from injury- he's a hard worker.

All in all, I don't think Jim would do anything to this club that would hinder it's chances of competing because of him failing to hold up his end of the bargain...

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 06:12 AM)
Dye needs to be moved to left

Dye still has a strong enough arm to play RF and I'd like to see somebody with more speed/range play LF. If you're going to move Dye, 1B would be the place for him, IMO.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
I personally would like to see Dye raise his value and then be traded.

If Dye could raise his value high enough that'd be one option....but it would strongly require someone else to step up and show that they have the ability to be his replacement in the OF. Right now, if we trade Dye, we're swapping Dye for Owens...and that's a LOT of offense to lose. If Brian Anderson could ever get his head out of his tail and hit .300 with 25 home runs and 25 stolen bases like he was supposed to....so that we could run the Quentin/Anderson/Swisher OF that would be solid offensively and defensively...then trading Dye would be a solid move...but without someone to take his place...it'd have to be a really killer deal to move him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
If Dye could raise his value high enough that'd be one option....but it would strongly require someone else to step up and show that they have the ability to be his replacement in the OF. Right now, if we trade Dye, we're swapping Dye for Owens...and that's a LOT of offense to lose. If Brian Anderson could ever get his head out of his tail and hit .300 with 25 home runs and 25 stolen bases like he was supposed to....so that we could run the Quentin/Anderson/Swisher OF that would be solid offensively and defensively...then trading Dye would be a solid move...but without someone to take his place...it'd have to be a really killer deal to move him.

If you are trading Dye, you could also look for an outfielder to come back to the White Sox, or you can scrounge the waiver wire for a high ceiling or toolsy outfielder as well.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
If you are trading Dye, you could also look for an outfielder to come back to the White Sox, or you can scrounge the waiver wire for a high ceiling or toolsy outfielder as well.

Luis Terrero filled your needs last year well I take it?

Fact is, few teams are going to be willing to trade you a ML-Ready OF of the sort you'd like to get back (young and fairly talented) for a guy like Dye unless he gets on an 06 like tear again...because you're not exactly making yourself better by giving up a young, toolsy OF for an older, possibly declining OF with an injury history and a >$10 mil a year contract. If you've got the kind of OF we'd like to get back in that deal...he's either not MLB ready or you're not trading him for JD.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (palehose23 @ May 10, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
421 more plate appearances

until Thome's 2009 contract is guaranteed

just FYI

Ozzie should keep starting Brian Anderson in CF against left-handed pitchers, with Dye and Konerko taking turns at DH. It will serve multiple purposes: Improves the Defense as well as the Offense against LHP; Limits Thome's PAs; Keeps Thome fresh for the long haul of the season, hopefully lessening the chance of his recurring wrist and back injuries allowing him to be more productive with less playing time.

If the white sox have their way and are smart they wont resign the aging slugger who will struggle to hit .250 this year. Yeah he will still be a 30 HR threat but we can do better. I assume if hes not back they can platoon Konerko and Swish at 1B/DH until 2010 when his Paulies contract is up. That gives CF to a real CF'er, Anderson, Owens, any leadoff hitter or acquistion, etc. Still would be plenty of power, in Dye, AJ, Fields, Quentin, Konerko, Swish.

QUOTE (joeynach @ May 11, 2008 -> 12:00 AM)
If the white sox have their way and are smart they wont resign the aging slugger who will struggle to hit .250 this year. Yeah he will still be a 30 HR threat but we can do better. I assume if hes not back they can platoon Konerko and Swish at 1B/DH until 2010 when his Paulies contract is up. That gives CF to a real CF'er, Anderson, Owens, any leadoff hitter or acquistion, etc. Still would be plenty of power, in Dye, AJ, Fields, Quentin, Konerko, Swish.

I'd bet money that Thome puts up a .900 overall OPS and an OPS very near 1.000 against righties this year. If he does it hitting .250, so-f***ing-be-it.

I still say getting rid of Thome would be a mistake for the Sox because I doubt there's any way the Sox can find a better LH option in the middle of the lineup next year for a better price tag.