Santana Traded to the Mets

Pants Rowland

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
$150 mil over 6?

Pretty nice deal for us. I'm surprised they couldn't even finagle Martinez out of the Mets.

Humber is a broken down shell of what he once was, maybe a #5 guy. I hear the Guerra guy is good but raw. I just hope Gomez isnt Beltran 2

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
other than humber, i'm not real familiar with the guys the mets gave up. any insight into these guys?

They say Gomez is lightening quick, decent OBP, good fielder, basically a 5-tool guy, but doesnt walk a whole lot. Guerra (sp?)is supposedly a Liriano-type guy, good change, good heat.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
They say Gomez is lightening quick, decent OBP, good fielder, basically a 5-tool guy, but doesnt walk a whole lot. Guerra (sp?)is supposedly a Liriano-type guy, good change, good heat.

gracias, rock.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
other than humber, i'm not real familiar with the guys the mets gave up. any insight into these guys?

Gomez is the star, an of who has tons of speed (I hear) and should have power...but hasn't shown any yet (he's 21 or 22). Guerra is a intriguing pitcher, but very young (19 or so). Mulvey's been okay in the minors, but not a very high ceiling, and you know how Humber's star has fallen. At least, that's the impression from what I've read. I haven't watched these guys.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
gracias, rock.

Scouting report from last year, Mets Blog

http://metsfever.blogspot.com/2007/05/gome...-stays-who.html

arlos Gomez

"Strengths: Gomez' arm and speed both rate as a 70 on the 20-80 scouting scale. He's an above-average center fielder and he refined his basestealing technique to where he had 41 swipes in 50 attempts in 2006. His lightning-quick bat and natural swing path allow him to make consistent hard contact. His arm gives him yet another plus tool.

Weaknesses: Much of his game is still raw. Gomez is too aggressive at the plate and needs to improve his situational hitting. He has plus raw power that has yet to show up in game action. His flashy style has irked some his opponents, but the Mets don't see it as a problem and think it will diminish as he matures.

The Future: With Carlos Beltran signed through 2011, Gomez' future with New York lies in right field. Ticketed for the Mets' new Triple-A New Orleans affiliate, he has a ceiling comparable with that of Fernando Martinez."

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
I'm going to assume Hughes was never on the table from the Yanks, because if he was, the Twins f***ed up big time on this one...

Yeah, you just kept hearing how the Twins were asking for BOTH Hughes and Kennedy, and that that was the holdup. Then they settle for this package? I don't know quite what to believe.

Fastball: Guerra demonstrated very consistent control of his fastball that saw a significant increase in velocity during his second season. He previously threw his fastball in the upper-80s, but at times this year he did hit 92-93 MPH on the gun.

Other Pitches: Guerra’s top secondary pitch is his changeup. The quality of his off-speed pitch speaks volumes about his maturity as a pitcher because it takes many young hurlers years to develop a changeup in the same class as his. His slow, calm delivery deceives hitters as the changeup’s movement frequently ties up hitters. He tops off his repertoire with a developing curveball that he continues to improve. He was very inconsistent with the pitch during his rookie season but he made strides with it last season, flipping his breaking ball over the plate with greater frequency. However, he still lacks some confidence to throw the curveball when behind in the count.

18 years old, was supposed to start in AA this season.

http://community.msgnetwork.com/eve/forums...655/m/772105312

The Mets paid a high price in prospects to land Santana, agreeing to send the Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

Wow. I really like this deal for the Mets. They didn't give up Martinez, and they got the best starter on the market.

Don't know what Bill Smith was thinking here. Could be a long season in Minny.

Guess this means, Joe Nathan may be on the market now also.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
Wow. I really like this deal for the Mets. They didn't give up Martinez, and they got the best starter on the market.

Don't know what Bill Smith was thinking here. Could be a long season in Minny.

Guess this means, Joe Nathan may be on the market now also.

He's thinking "well, this is better than a 2nd rounder and a sandwich pick and it saves me $15 million or so this season".

Guerra is like projected as the best spect they get in this trade surprisingly ... Humber/Mulvey they say one will be in roto and one will be BP(in the future) ... Gomez steps into CF now

C-Mauer

1B-Morneau

2B-Casilla/Punto

SS-Everett/Harris

3B-Lamb/Harris

LF-Young

CF-Gomez

RF-Cuddyer

DH-Kubel/Monroe

But anyways Guerra is 6'5'' with 93-95 mph .. outstanding changeup .. probably will be in AA sometime this season and is only 18 .. he not as good as a hughes maybe but then you get Humber(who mets fan say is very good) and Mulvey

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
He's thinking "well, this is better than a 2nd rounder and a sandwich pick and it saves me $15 million or so this season".

Flawed thinking then.

He could of had Phillip Hughes earlier in the off-season (if indeed that was true). Instead, it looked like he settled for a need (another toolsy young OF, but they already got one of those for a great young pitcher in Delmon Young).

And are Minny going to spend that $15M? Not likely. Unless they load up in the draft and on international signings, which will make me feel a little queasy (considering their record there).

FWIW Gueera was one of the guys we were speculating about when the Contreras or even Vazquez links to the Mets were happening.

Obviously an 18 year old starting in AA must be a pretty decent spect. If he has a good season, his standing as a prospect will really begin to rise.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
Flawed thinking then.

He could of had Phillip Hughes earlier in the off-season (if indeed that was true). Instead, it looked like he settled for a need (another toolsy young OF, but they already got one of those for a great young pitcher in Delmon Young).

And are Minny going to spend that $15M? Not likely. Unless they load up in the draft and on international signings, which will make me feel a little queasy (considering their record there).

If the Yankee package was Philip Hughes + nobodies, I think I like this better. At least you get several shots at guys who can come in for you rather than one.

I think the Hughes deal was him + 2 solid spects, but the deal breaker was the Twinkies also asking for Ian Kennedy.

Hughes would have given the Twins 5 years of at least a #2 starter in the AL. Gomez may not ever reach the level of play of which his level of his tools are.

But we'll wait and see. I'm just glad that Santana's finally out of our division.

I imagine our numbers against lefties as a whole for the team will go up for the simple reason that Willis is in (load the lineup with RHH's) and Santana is out.