Economic Stimulus Check

sox4lifeinPA

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 02:45 PM)
... i'm pissed.

lol damn. so uh... what if i force my parents to not claim me as a dependent? eh? eh? think they'd go for it?

A trip in the wayback machine: 2002ish

Me: Mom and Dad, I want my part of GWB's tax refund....I should get 500 bucks and it's mine!

Mom and Dad PA: That's fine, but you owe us $500 in back rent.

Me: Screwed by the government and screwed by my parents. who can I trust?

That's roughly the same time I joined soxtalk. :P

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
I prefer getting the large check back instead of bits and pieces throughout the year. I use it generally better when its a lump sum in the spring/now.

So why not alter your deductions, have the extra amount direct deposited into an interst baring savings account that you never even see and then withdraw from in February?

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
So why not alter your deductions, have the extra amount direct deposited into an interst baring savings account that you never even see and then withdraw from in February?

Steff, I am the same way. I am pretty good with my money, but if I were getting back an additional $25-$50 a week, it would get spent. Besides the amount of interest you would actually gain on that money is minimal at best. As you mentioned with charitable contributions, deductions can vary year to year. I don't have the same business deductions nor mortgage interest each year. I could guess, but the net amount in interest to me nowhere near outweighs the benefits of getting a lump sum later.

Granted I am single and am not getting $10k refunds. I certainly understand the concept, but the reality of most people taking that money and putting it away and never dipping into it is not great. I figure if I can live within the means I have now and get a lump sum back, then that is the best scenario for me, regardless of what the financial gurus say is best for me.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
Steff, I am the same way. I am pretty good with my money, but if I were getting back an additional $25-$50 a week, it would get spent. Besides the amount of interest you would actually gain on that money is minimal at best. As you mentioned with charitable contributions, deductions can vary year to year. I don't have the same business deductions nor mortgage interest each year. I could guess, but the net amount in interest to me nowhere near outweighs the benefits of getting a lump sum later.

Granted I am single and am not getting $10k refunds. I certainly understand the concept, but the reality of most people taking that money and putting it away and never dipping into it is not great. I figure if I can live within the means I have now and get a lump sum back, then that is the best scenario for me, regardless of what the financial gurus say is best for me.

Pfftt... and they say women have no will power. :lol: :P

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
I wish I had a nickel for every person who's taxes I've done over the years that says "hu???" when I tell them this. They act like their refund is a gift from the g'ment. And these are not stupid people.. (well, most of them aren't). They just refuse to manage a savings account on their own despite the fact that the g'ment doesn't pay interest.

I just did my taxes last night and I'm actually getting more back than what I paid in. :huh:

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
I just did my taxes last night and I'm actually getting more back than what I paid in. :huh:

In 12 years I have never, ever seen that happen. If I were you I would have it looked over before submitting them to ensure no delay in processing your refund, if it's correct.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
In 12 years I have never, ever seen that happen. If I were you I would have it looked over before submitting them to ensure no delay in processing your refund, if it's correct.

I've seen it with people with children and the earned income credit.

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)

I don't think it's really that unusual. Back when I was working retail and making like $6.00 an hour I got something like a $4000 return because I was able to claim head of household with 2 dependants.

Then I got married and haven't seen a return like that since.

I'm thinking the $3000 I get for the child tax credit has something to do with it.

My return isn't really all that complicated. All I have is mine and my wife's W-2s and a 1098 (I think?) from my mortgage company. It's only like $5 difference between what I paid and what I'm getting back.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
Samsung LNT2653 26" LCD Flat Panel HDTV: $600

Sony - Cyber-shot 8.1MP Digital Camera - Black DSC-W90/B: $230

Nintendo Wii bundle: $450

Tax - $75

Total: $1355

How's that for economic stimulus?

Oh you need to GO BIG on the TV... GO BIG. GO REALLY BIG! :D

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
Oh you need to GO BIG on the TV... GO BIG. GO REALLY BIG! :D

I know...but GWB is only giving us 1200 and I've been told that we need to buy "other things" as well. :angry: :P

so when I get a grown up job (and the mrs starts getting paid for helping sick people instead of PAYING to help sick people) we'll go big.

Samsung LNT2653 26" LCD Flat Panel HDTV: $600

Sony - Cyber-shot 8.1MP Digital Camera - Black DSC-W90/B: $230

Nintendo Wii bundle: $450

Tax - $75

Total: $1355

How's that for economic stimulus?

I think you can get a better buy on that camera and I'd put that money towards a bigger TV. That said, thank you for helping the economy. :cheers

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Yeah at that point "going big" means front row seats to the Wiggles concert.

My god that show is hideous. Alissa sort of watches it. The one she really likes right now is the "backyardigans", which is kind of a fun cartoon.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
I kind of like the backyardigans, as kid cartoons go. I haven't watched much PBS. I always forget about it.

Backyardigans isn't too bad except for the theme song (damn that drives me nuts.). PBS has lots of the old standby's like Sesame St and Clifford, plus a couple of new ones, but they all at least have a basic educational theme to them (In between the Lions, Super Why, Word World etc) so you don't feel quite as guilty about them watching it, as opposed to some of the crap you get on Disney or the other cartoon channels.