Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 3, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)
Well, I guess your technically right since a few people were stupid enough to think Illinois still had a shot at Rose when Moore verballed to Purdue (late summer before signing day, August I believe). But Illinois could have easily had Moore, but said no, and thus Moore verballed to and visited Purdue. The Moore debacle is a big reason Illinois changed their entire recruiting strategy to the first come, first serve offer system now in place. If Illinois had the same recruiting system the last couple years that it has now, Moore would have had a white jersey on today, but nope, gotta keep a spot open for Rose. That entire thing was made dumber by the fact that the Eric Gordon rumors had been going on for months when Illinois declined a potential Moore verbal. I know everybody anywhere near Illinois with any sources (right down to even me), thought Gordon was still coming to Champaign since we weren't yet aware he was a liar, but it would have been wise to take an insurance policy.

Again not true. They withheld an offer at the time fine, but "schmooge" was not going to committ if he had an offer in hand from Illinois at that point. To say they would have been in a stronger position to possibly get him, ok, but it's not the case that with the offer he was going to Illinois, and they lost out waiting on Rose/Gordon. Just not the case!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
Ehh, that's debatable. Mizzou won the North, had the #1 ranking for a week, and finished with a higher ranking. I've seen some Kansas fans say they would trade their season for Mizzou's, but that's personal opinion.

You guys are a way better football program than Kansas, and you had a great year, I wouldn't consider it too big of an issue. As for Juice Cruz's post........I'll take the words of the people who told me them over yours.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
You guys are a way better football program than Kansas, and you had a great year, I wouldn't consider it too big of an issue. As for Juice Cruz's post........I'll take the words of the people who told me them over yours.
That's fine I heard it FROM "schmooge" and was with his assistant coach when Cuenzo Martin texted him with the news that "schmooge" is a Boilermaker. He was a Purdue lean for a while at that point, "Kay Kay" the center on his state championship team is committed to Purdue as well for football next year. Hummel & Martin are close with E'twaun and Purdue had offered both which was another plus, and most of all his mother liked the distance to travel and see him play the most. He was interested in Illinois, but was not kept from going there due to a lack of a offer.

Any KU fan who would trade their season with Mizzery is on crack. Its fantastic that they best us, but Kansas lost one game and got unreal national attention. Oh yeah, We won a f***in BCS game over the #3 team in the nation. Mizzery played in an early and boring bowl game over a half ass Sec team who had just lost their coach.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 12:46 AM)
My friend at the SIU said they had like a 25 minute tornado delay during tonight's game, very odd. It amazes me SIU and NIU are in the same state when I see it's 70 and tornadoes there and we're getting 10 inches of snow.

Heh, yup. It was weird. A buzzer just sounded in the middle of the game and the pa announcer said that there was a tornado in the area or something like that and that everyone in the upper deck needed to come down. One of the weirder things I've been a part of.

UNC is a totally different team with Lawson. Outside of Hansbrough and Ginyard, nobody else came to play tonight and Duke shot out of their minds 48% from 3 and won by 10. I feel really good about the game in Durham with Lawson back.

Heck, even with Frasor in the game it would have been much closer. Quentin just isn't a D1 caliber unfortunately.

UNC has ZERO shot at the Final Four (outside of a lucky draw) unless they figure out a way to defend. They are the worst defensive team I've seen all year among teams that could go to the Sweet 16, and by a pretty wide margin. Their offensive skill when healthy is extraordinary, but they are just so damn lazy on defense. They are like the NCAA Phoenix Suns.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 01:02 AM)
UNC has ZERO shot at the Final Four (outside of a lucky draw) unless they figure out a way to defend. They are the worst defensive team I've seen all year among teams that could go to the Sweet 16, and by a pretty wide margin. Their offensive skill when healthy is extraordinary, but they are just so damn lazy on defense. They are like the NCAA Phoenix Suns.

I'd say IU has a shot at the sweet 16, and our defense isn't exactly spectacular.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
UNC is a totally different team with Lawson. Outside of Hansbrough and Ginyard, nobody else came to play tonight and Duke shot out of their minds 48% from 3 and won by 10. I feel really good about the game in Durham with Lawson back.

Heck, even with Frasor in the game it would have been much closer. Quentin just isn't a D1 caliber unfortunately.

No doubt, I was a bit surprised how close we played with Q at the point. With Lawson we cruise last night. Q hurt big time defensivly as well, he got caught watching penetration numerous times and Paulus floated to a spot for the clear 3ball. Our pressure Dee that is vital was not there with Q either. More then that when he had to sit Ginyard moved to point and William Graves had to get signifigant time, he was just a body out there. Frazior would have been enough last night.

It's never fun to lose to Duke but from what I saw last night I LOVE our chances down the road against them with Lawson. The key is getting Ty back 100%, without him UNC is a average team.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 6, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
You cannot live and die by the 3.

Illinois did pretty well with it in '04-'05.

We put up 92 on Northwestern yesterday in Evanston. I would say it was impressive, but it's Northwestern. Still, a win is a win, especially when you've been on a rough streak like the Gophers had.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 7, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
I agree there is work to be done on that side of the ball, but they are one of about 7 or 8 teams that are in the best shape to go to the four. If they have NO chance then not many do. With Ty in there their Dee is much more aggerssive and does create turnovers at least, without him their defeiciencies on Dee were even greater with no upside with the extended pressure. Duke seems to have more issues as a tournament team to me, with no interior threats, I LOVE Carolina over Duke this year with Ty running the show.

UCLA, Kansas, & Memphis do seem to be the best teams looking to go to San Antonio at this point, but UNC goes head up with any of them with Ty 100%.

Edited by JuiceCruz16