College drinking

The Beast

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)
This thread is too wordy.

Some of it may have to do with where people go. Carbondale, there is nothing else to do. There are bars galore. Other alum here would agree.

Anybody ever go bat collecting around Carbondale? I used to go down from U of I with my Mammalogy class and then later as on summer work/study gig to collect and mark bat populations in caves and from river flyways. It was very cool.

And, yes, that may indeed make me the dorkiest dork who ever set foot in Carbondale.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
Anybody ever go bat collecting around Carbondale? I used to go down from U of I with my Mammalogy class and then later as on summer work/study gig to collect and mark bat populations in caves and from river flyways. It was very cool.

And, yes, that may indeed make me the dorkiest dork who ever set foot in Carbondale.

i can think of dorkier things you could do. bat collecting? come on how is that not cool?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
i can think of dorkier things you could do. bat collecting? come on how is that not cool?

Well, you never saw our bat collecting costumes. . .

fat_bat.jpg

Yeah, I pretty much think it's one of the coolest things I've ever done. But then again, I also raised laboratory cockroaches for use in scientific studies on a work/study program as an undergrad and I thought that was cool to, so I'm not a very good judge of these things.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

My experience with young people who drive home this "moral high-road" continuously is that they eventually snap and end up being the ones most affected by alcohol, or drugs, or sex, or whatever it is they are abstaining from and speaking out against.

Best advice anyone will ever give in life: everything in moderation

And one other thing...alcohol never made anyone do anything they didn't want to do already

Alcohol is truth serum. That's what makes it so good and bad all at the same time. What you do on alcohol is what your inner beast really wants to do. If you want to express yourself, you will; if you want to do drugs or have sex, you will; if you want to just be out of control, you will; if you want to hold a lengthy conversation about the differences and similarities between Muhammad, Moses, and Jesus Christ, and someone else does too, you will. I have been all over the spectrum as to what I've done when drunk, and I have had several intellectual conversations. I've talked about Catholicism and some of Einstein's theories and politics, and on the complete other side, I've been streaking, talked about why TMNT is the greatest show on earth (and why Leonardo is the best TMNT of them all, although that really needs no explanation), jumped in snow, and ridden down stairs on a cardboard box. All of it was fun, and I regret doing none of it, because when I really got to thinking about it, I really did want to do all of it.

So I've done some stupid things. Why should I care? I'll never have the opportunity to act like a complete idiot ever again, so I may as well do it.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Alcohol is truth serum. That's what makes it so good and bad all at the same time. What you do on alcohol is what your inner beast really wants to do. If you want to express yourself, you will; if you want to do drugs or have sex, you will; if you want to just be out of control, you will; if you want to hold a lengthy conversation about the differences and similarities between Muhammad, Moses, and Jesus Christ, and someone else does too, you will. I have been all over the spectrum as to what I've done when drunk, and I have had several intellectual conversations. I've talked about Catholicism and some of Einstein's theories and politics, and on the complete other side, I've been streaking, talked about why TMNT is the greatest show on earth (and why Leonardo is the best TMNT of them all, although that really needs no explanation), jumped in snow, and ridden down stairs on a cardboard box. All of it was fun, and I regret doing none of it, because when I really got to thinking about it, I really did want to do all of it.

So I've done some stupid things. Why should I care? I'll never have the opportunity to act like a complete idiot ever again, so I may as well do it.

The "inner beast" does not want to do drugs, drink or have sex at this point. I'm glad you want to have fun but right now at this moment in my life, all I want to do involves things that are more mature than what some college students want. I want to have my serious relationship continue and I want to have it develop into something greater, as it has since she and I started dating. I want to have a smaller group of friends and flourish with them being so close. I would love nothing but having what I've had in the past few years, which is a happy, mature, loving, caring lifestyle. I don't feel that I fit in the age group I do because all of what I want to do involve more mature and developed ideas.

Have fun doing as you please, wite, and the rest of you---and I will continue to do what I want in achieving high standards and having a quality life full of values, small groups of close friends, a relationship with my girlfriend and of course, watching White Sox baseball, because that is what I want to live by. :headbang

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:13 PM)
The "inner beast" does not want to do drugs, drink or have sex at this point. I'm glad you want to have fun but right now at this moment in my life, all I want to do involves things that are more mature than what some college students want. I want to have my serious relationship continue and I want to have it develop into something greater, as it has since she and I started dating. I want to have a smaller group of friends and flourish with them being so close. I would love nothing but having what I've had in the past few years, which is a happy, mature, loving, caring lifestyle. I don't feel that I fit in the age group I do because all of what I want to do involve more mature and developed ideas.

Have fun doing as you please, wite, and the rest of you---and I will continue to do what I want in achieving high standards and having a quality life full of values, small groups of close friends, a relationship with my girlfriend and of course, watching White Sox baseball, because that is what I want to live by. :headbang

Are you concerned about being mature or having other people see you as mature? Not trying to be snarky about it either, but you are throwing that around an awful lot.

No ones even saying you have to drink. But the socialization that you're having just isn't total socialization. Try going out without drinking. You'll strike up conversations, see people from your classes and you'll make friends. Hell, if it makes you uneasy, just carry around a cup of beer that you won't drink, so people don't say anything. But you're losing a chance to network and meet people. That's all.

On a side note, stuff like Magic...if you want to be seen as mature, those two just don't jive. Sorry. Again, not trying to be snarky, but in all honesty, that doesn't come across as something that a "mature" person would be into - at least, a well adjusted one.

Is that really what you know, or what you think? Seems as though some people have impressed upon you some very stringent beliefs and ideas...and that's fine. But there is absolutely something to the idea that college is a time to really figure out who you are- and that involves experiencing different things to find out what you enjoy best, what your strengths are and what your weaknesses are.

Believe me, you may want to keep to yourself and socialize only with your best friends and your girlfriend and your video game friends...but there is a whole lot more to collegian life than what you are seeing. Sure, a lot of it happens within a framework of drugs, alcohol, and sex. But one can become immersed in a lot of the activities and social aspects of college without becoming the drunken, obnoxious people you quite obviously are turned off by. I suggest you make more of an effort to see what's out there, because it isn't so much the academic skills you learn in college that prepare you to go out into the real world, it's the social skills you learn that teach you to thrive in the real world.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
On a side note, stuff like Magic...if you want to be seen as mature, those two just don't jive. Sorry. Again, not trying to be snarky, but in all honesty, that doesn't come across as something that a "mature" person would be into - at least, a well adjusted one.

Two of my roommates (and a couple of other friends that they play with) play magic and also drink. Then again, I ridicule my roommates mercilessly for playing magic (in a friendly way, just as they ridicule me for being from New Jersey).

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
Two of my roommates (and a couple of other friends that they play with) play magic and also drink. Then again, I ridicule my roommates mercilessly for playing magic (in a friendly way, just as they ridicule me for being from New Jersey).

Well, the difference is, you deserve it. :P

I can't handle people playing Halo. I think it's the dumbest f***ing waste of time ever. People probably think the same thing about me playin Madden. Oh well.

My college experience is going to be great, I just need some things (I'm not sure what) to fall into place.

how bout go out and make some real life friends? I truly think you're trying to prove to yourself that you're happy. i'm not sure you really are.

how do i seeing this scenario playing out?

when your girlfriend cheats/breaks up with you/fill in the blank, you're going to have an emotional collapse and go apesh*t and start doing all the things we've been arguing about.

book it.

Edited by Reddy

I have the solution.

If you're worried about getting drunk and cheating on your girlfriend or doing immoral things or whatever.

May I suggest getting drunk WITH your girlfriend and doing bad immoral things to each other!!! Problem solved right!!

In all seriousness...to each his own man. I personally liked to drink, party and be stoopid. Hell, I'm 34 and I still do. If you don't want to drink that's cool, but if I can make one suggestion it would be don't isolate yourself. Don't avoid a bar or a party because other people will be drinking. Hell, you can go with your friends, stay sober and make fun of all the drunk idiots....that could be a really fun night. It seems you have your little clique and you're staying in it for fear of being around others that don't share your exact beliefs. Your entire life will most likely consist of you being around people that aren't the same as you, so college is a good time to learn how to handle it. You don't want to graduate and be socially inept. There'll be plenty of time for you to be mature and serious in life. In fact, it's probably gonna start a lot sooner than you think, so let loose a little...have some fun out of your comfort zone. The last thing you want to do is leave college with the same social character as when you went in. It's a time to grow...you can keep the same "moral" character, but you should definitely expand your horizons socially.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)

Im from NY, i ridicule the friends i have from Jersey as well, haha

...of course the irony of that is im probably moving to Hoboken this summer...

Have fun doing as you please, wite, and the rest of you---and I will continue to do what I want in achieving high standards and having a quality life full of values, small groups of close friends, a relationship with my girlfriend

yup, because NONE of that can be possible with alcohol.

Until you get off your high horse, don't expect people to agree with you about this.

The funny thing is that I have all the same ideals and values you apparently do - serious relationship, develop into something greater, small group of friends, happy, mature, loving, caring lifestyle, along with holding myself to high standards (meaning if I get anything below a 3 GPA I'm going to be pissed at myself) - yet I get drunk every weekend. I also find it worthwhile to develop relationships with people who I could care less if they are or aren't in my small group of friends; networking is good, and if people know your name, you will be much more likely to succeed than if they do not.

It seems you are still equating getting drunk to people not caring about life or having a low self-esteem. Surely, some do, but there are also others who don't drink who also have a low self-esteem and don't care about themselves.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
Are you concerned about being mature or having other people see you as mature? Not trying to be snarky about it either, but you are throwing that around an awful lot.

No ones even saying you have to drink. But the socialization that you're having just isn't total socialization. Try going out without drinking. You'll strike up conversations, see people from your classes and you'll make friends. Hell, if it makes you uneasy, just carry around a cup of beer that you won't drink, so people don't say anything. But you're losing a chance to network and meet people. That's all.

To be honest with you, I've never really cared about what people think about me. I feel that I am being mature about what I'm doing at college and staying true to my beliefs. I do not want to go to the party scene and even hold a beer, that is not my scene and frankly that's not what college is all about to me. I want to do things that interest me on the weekends, such as (all of what I mentioned before.)

I'm not trying to be seen as being "mature" by playing Magic. I am trying to become a well adjusted person, I just don't want to go out and party. Understood? No? I thought so.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
Is that really what you know, or what you think? Seems as though some people have impressed upon you some very stringent beliefs and ideas...and that's fine. But there is absolutely something to the idea that college is a time to really figure out who you are- and that involves experiencing different things to find out what you enjoy best, what your strengths are and what your weaknesses are.

Believe me, you may want to keep to yourself and socialize only with your best friends and your girlfriend and your video game friends...but there is a whole lot more to collegian life than what you are seeing. Sure, a lot of it happens within a framework of drugs, alcohol, and sex. But one can become immersed in a lot of the activities and social aspects of college without becoming the drunken, obnoxious people you quite obviously are turned off by. I suggest you make more of an effort to see what's out there, because it isn't so much the academic skills you learn in college that prepare you to go out into the real world, it's the social skills you learn that teach you to thrive in the real world.

I can associate with who I please---and I have met new people. I am not comfortable with going to parties nor do I want to go, it's just something that doesn't interest me that interests most everyone else. I do not want to hear said definition of the "real world" because there are so many opposing views about that. I'm fine with my life, and agree your encouragement, but I'm not looking to change. Who knew my original post would spark so much persuasion by the opposition? I would say I am preparing myself for the real world socially by identifying my weaknesses through what I learn in my classes and I feel like I am advancing myself to find out who I truly am---and the person that I am is good enough for me.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
how bout go out and make some real life friends? I truly think you're trying to prove to yourself that you're happy. i'm not sure you really are.

how do i seeing this scenario playing out?

when your girlfriend cheats/breaks up with you/fill in the blank, you're going to have an emotional collapse and go apesh*t and start doing all the things we've been arguing about.

book it.

I just don't feel like drinking and if she does break up with me, I'll meet people the way that I do. But I'm living in the moment. I'm very happy with the friends I do have, I have real life friends. We do things other than gaming but for the most part it is nice to have something in common with people.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
In all seriousness...to each his own man. I personally liked to drink, party and be stoopid. Hell, I'm 34 and I still do. If you don't want to drink that's cool, but if I can make one suggestion it would be don't isolate yourself. Don't avoid a bar or a party because other people will be drinking. Hell, you can go with your friends, stay sober and make fun of all the drunk idiots....that could be a really fun night. It seems you have your little clique and you're staying in it for fear of being around others that don't share your exact beliefs. Your entire life will most likely consist of you being around people that aren't the same as you, so college is a good time to learn how to handle it. You don't want to graduate and be socially inept. There'll be plenty of time for you to be mature and serious in life. In fact, it's probably gonna start a lot sooner than you think, so let loose a little...have some fun out of your comfort zone. The last thing you want to do is leave college with the same social character as when you went in. It's a time to grow...you can keep the same "moral" character, but you should definitely expand your horizons socially.

Exactly, the phrase "to each his own" works for me. That could be the consensus we'll have to come up with for this argument. I don't isolate myself, I just don't want to go to a bar or house party, which seems to be the common form of entertainment on the weekends for students at EIU. I'm not socially inept, but I sure do not want to waste my time going to parties. I'll expand my social horizons in a way that doesn't involve alcohol. But, I would just say "to each his own," and that I do not want to change some aspects---I want to have things in my life that I really enjoy.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
I can associate with who I please---and I have met new people. I am not comfortable with going to parties nor do I want to go, it's just something that doesn't interest me that interests most everyone else. I do not want to hear said definition of the "real world" because there are so many opposing views about that. I'm fine with my life, and agree your encouragement, but I'm not looking to change. Who knew my original post would spark so much persuasion by the opposition? I would say I am preparing myself for the real world socially by identifying my weaknesses through what I learn in my classes and I feel like I am advancing myself to find out who I truly am---and the person that I am is good enough for me.

the problem is that a) very little of what you learn in CLASS is applicable to the job market and the "real world". What's important is social interaction. Honestly, that's what gets you EVERYWHERE in EVERY career. It's almost always WHO you know.

b ) you say the person you are RIGHT NOW is good enough for you. Well I just can't understand that mindset. I'm always trying to be better. Better at acting (my chosen profession), better at dealing with people (i'm pretty hot headed), etc. We ALL have things that we need to improve on and we all have a chance to grow. We can all become whatever we want to but to just sit back and say that the person you are at 19 - 19!- years of age is "good enough"... god that's just sad man. you've gotta have dreams and aspirations. You've got to have things that will light a fire under your ass.

look, in the end i don't care whether you drink or not, but just don't settle for "good enough".

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
the problem is that a) very little of what you learn in CLASS is applicable to the job market and the "real world". What's important is social interaction. Honestly, that's what gets you EVERYWHERE in EVERY career. It's almost always WHO you know.

b ) you say the person you are RIGHT NOW is good enough for you. Well I just can't understand that mindset. I'm always trying to be better. Better at acting (my chosen profession), better at dealing with people (i'm pretty hot headed), etc. We ALL have things that we need to improve on and we all have a chance to grow. We can all become whatever we want to but to just sit back and say that the person you are at 19 - 19!- years of age is "good enough"... god that's just sad man. you've gotta have dreams and aspirations. You've got to have things that will light a fire under your ass.

look, in the end i don't care whether you drink or not, but just don't settle for "good enough".

I understand your first point, and I'll do that through something other than drinking---perhaps through the church at some point. I'm trying to get better with the things I want in my life. I will grow in several ways, but using parties as a source for this will not work for me. I do have dreams and aspirations---marriage, a family of my own, being an English teacher that kids will remember from High School, and overall just being a great person. I'll obtain what I want through well thought out developed ways instead of the traditional drinking scene. (Again, for many, this will work, but not for all. What I mean by drinking is going to parties and doing whatever is done there.) I won't settle for good enough, I can promise you that, Reddy.

I'm sure magic could turn into a hella drinking game. Like the number of damage points you take is equal to the number of shots you have to drink. Destroy an artifact = chug a tall boy.

Beastly, wanna help us write some more of these rules?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
I'm sure magic could turn into a hella drinking game. Like the number of damage points you take is equal to the number of shots you have to drink. Destroy an artifact = chug a tall boy.

Beastly, wanna help us write some more of these rules?

Not playing drinking games or being in that scene, I wouldn't know what to say about the amount of drinks.

For each land you play, take a drink?

I think Warlord, my original game would probably be labeled a better drinking game, but again, I've only heard stories from the older posters/players from the Temple of Lore (a Warlord website) so I wouldn't know because I don't drink.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
Im from NY, i ridicule the friends i have from Jersey as well, haha

...of course the irony of that is im probably moving to Hoboken this summer...

Sucks for you on both accounts

Also, since this thread has taken a turn from those long, series posts, anyone else find it ironic that "The Beast" is against drinking?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
To be honest with you, I've never really cared about what people think about me. I feel that I am being mature about what I'm doing at college and staying true to my beliefs. I do not want to go to the party scene and even hold a beer, that is not my scene and frankly that's not what college is all about to me. I want to do things that interest me on the weekends, such as (all of what I mentioned before.)

I'm not trying to be seen as being "mature" by playing Magic. I am trying to become a well adjusted person, I just don't want to go out and party. Understood? No? I thought so.

I may not come across this way, but I drink maybe once a month. It's not my scene either.