College drinking

The Beast

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
Are you concerned about being mature or having other people see you as mature? Not trying to be snarky about it either, but you are throwing that around an awful lot.

No ones even saying you have to drink. But the socialization that you're having just isn't total socialization. Try going out without drinking. You'll strike up conversations, see people from your classes and you'll make friends. Hell, if it makes you uneasy, just carry around a cup of beer that you won't drink, so people don't say anything. But you're losing a chance to network and meet people. That's all.

On a side note, stuff like Magic...if you want to be seen as mature, those two just don't jive. Sorry. Again, not trying to be snarky, but in all honesty, that doesn't come across as something that a "mature" person would be into - at least, a well adjusted one.

I was reading these posts and wanted to share some bits of wisdom from someone who is entering their late 20's. Nobody really looks back on those times in life in HS and College and says I wish I had less fun. Nobody looks back and says I wish I settled down sooner back then and I wish I experienced less. Most people express the exact opposite. Take each year with the utmost care and consideration. If your mode is one to make sure you make the most out of small connections and settling down, thats fine, but take a look at some things you may want to accomplish or experience before you get to the point in life where its impossible.

Also, for the posters who havent yet chosen a school to attend, take a good look at what you want to experience. If its not related to partying, dont go to a school where that seems to be the chosen activity, go to a schoo located in a city where you can explore the arts and meet other people who like the things you do.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Also, for the posters who havent yet chosen a school to attend, take a good look at what you want to experience. If its not related to partying, dont go to a school where that seems to be the chosen activity, go to a schoo located in a city where you can explore the arts and meet other people who like the things you do.

There is partying at every college, city or no city. Living in a city definitely provides a number of alternate things to do, but it doesn't mean there won't be partying and excess underage drinking.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
I passed out after four beers once. /end debate

Jesus your a lightweight Alex. :lol:

But then again, other than Nuke, hi8is, maybe Tru or whitewashedin05', I doubt anyone here can out-drink me and I'll put a s***load of $$ on it. :) Damn I'm sounding like Pratt right now.. Me, Me, Me, Me, Me.

Oh, and Ross, like I said earlier in the thread, much respect to ya bro.

Edited by SoxAce

I read the first few pages of this thread, but not the whole thing but I thought I'd throw a comment in.

Beast, I began college with an attitude that is almost an exact replica of yours, that attitude was installed in my mind coming fresh out of high school youth group. The only difference was that I was going to a Christian school (Bethel University) where everyone signed a covenant promising not to drink while attending Bethel. As I first started school I really had a tough time respecting the individuals and decisions people made regarding alcohol and weed and I couldn't understand why it seemed like people needed to do that to have fun.

Over the course of college my mindset really opened up to a more tolerant view of all parts of life in general. I began to really see others and the decisions of others from the shoes of those individuals opposed to my very biased opinion that was originally formed moreso by my protective church background than my own life experiences and thoughts. Who you are at 18 years old will be much different than who you are 4 years later.

I still never had a sip of alcohol until the day after I graduated from Bethel and was no longer under the covenant I had swore to follow which prohibited alcohol, however I had a totally different view of others than when I first started school.

Here's a neat example:

When you were 7 years old, you had the opportunity around Halloween time to go around your neighborhood collecting candy. I bet you were absolutely pumped to do that, imagining all the delicious treats you could enjoy. Why was it so great though? Three main reasons. 1) It was new. You either never had the opportunity in life or not often did you have the opportunity, to make such glorious collections of sweets. The newness of this ritual made it all the more fun for you. 2) Halloween was a big deal. You heard about it from your friends, family, teachers, and TV about how much fun Halloween was. This naturally set the day up to be a fantastic event for you and others. 3) It felt good. The deliciousness of all those snickers bars was so awesome that it made you love Halloween more than Christmas.

Amidst all the joy and celebration of Halloween you may have overlooked a young boy, we'll call him Sanjay (just to make him sound foreign and therefore different for some reason) who is just sitting at home on Halloween without a single Twix at his disposal. Why isn't our pal Sanjay trick-or-treating? Sanjay was told by his parents that Halloween is the day of evil spirits and the candy is an acceptance of those evil spirits.

Lets say the day after Halloween you meet Sanjay and you talk about the day. Sanjay explains why he did not celebrate Halloween right after you tell him about all your trophy candy bars last night. You feel like he's an idiot for thinking something so ridiculous as to why Halloween is about evil spirits, and he thinks your an idiot for accepting something so wicked. In reality it is not so simple. Sanjay has predetermined beliefs about Halloween that you do not. Because you don't have those beliefs, it makes sense for you to be so excited about and partake in the day of Halloween (given the three reasons for excitement as listed 2 paragraphs above), as well as it makes sense for him to protect his beliefs about the day.

Now take those three reasons and lets pour them into the college drinking reference. Why is drinking so popular on college campuses? 1) It is new. In high school drinking/weed is not nearly as common or accessible as it is in college. The newness of it makes it all the better. 2) Drinking is made out to be a big deal. You hear about it all the time from friends, family, and TV about how much fun you will have drinking at college parties. Naturally the hype makes the event more fun. 3) It feels good. Alcohol gives people the opportunity to relax and enjoy themselves much more than when they are sober, so of course this makes the drinking experience better.

Now in this present day reference, you are the one who was our Indian friend Sanjay in the Halloween story. You have these beliefs that you want to hold onto despite the fun that appears to be had by others, While the individuals who choose to drink play the role you did in the Halloween story. These individuals never were given this lesson taught by parents or church, or at least they choose not to follow that lesson. More importantly, if they do not have your beliefs they will have no obligatory reason to follow the same moral guidelines as yourself.

The important thing to remember is this. Not everyone is in your shoes. You and Sanjay had different mindsets going into the Halloween experience, while you and those who drink have different mindsets as well. Therefore you cannot blame a person or view them as individuals who are making bad choices when they don't have the same ideology as you. This is something you will learn much more with every passing day of life.

I am happy to hear though that you have decided to refrain from something you believe is not right for you. But importantly you need to remember that not everyone is coming from the same boat as you, so you need to respect others' decisions unless they truly are hurting themselves or others (and that's something that needs to be looked at realistically).

I wish you luck in your continuing life choices and growing maturity.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
I was reading these posts and wanted to share some bits of wisdom from someone who is entering their late 20's. Nobody really looks back on those times in life in HS and College and says I wish I had less fun. Nobody looks back and says I wish I settled down sooner back then and I wish I experienced less. Most people express the exact opposite. Take each year with the utmost care and consideration. If your mode is one to make sure you make the most out of small connections and settling down, thats fine, but take a look at some things you may want to accomplish or experience before you get to the point in life where its impossible.

I wish I had more education and less partying experiences. Just sayin'.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
I think that's more schools than you realize. And I wouldn't characterize them all as "idiots," since that would classify me as an idiot. I get drunk almost every weekend, enjoy my life, go to class and do well in college. Over the last two semesters, I've managed a 3.4 GPA and I don't see any reason for that to stop this semester, and I'm getting drunk probably more often this semester.

For some, that's apart of finding yourself. For others, it's not. But just because people party doesn't mean they don't care for their education; they are going to school and not living at home for a reason.

I don't really drink (well, socially, not the allnight drunk type though), and I agree, can make the same argument with drugs (which I don't touch) but to that last sentence, here I know there are plenty of idiots who could care less about the education part of being here. Probably just here because they're 'supposed' to in this stage in life, and that's what mommy and daddy would want, and are charging to their bank account. It's a time to party and they're going to take advantage of it. And even if people care about passing, a lot of them still don't really put much into the classes, 'just give me enough to get by, give me that piece of paper type', which is cool, until I have to be assigned to some group with you :angry: Reminds me of the Chris Rock bit about 'black people' vs 'n*****s'. "Man I don't know that s***! Keepin it real!" (good stuff, by the way)

The people that kind of annoy me are those types that you know would be losers, so to try to change that they go over the top with something like drinking or drugs, and try to mention it in every conversation, or have a ton of tshirts mentioning it, etc. I think that's the annoying thing to some of the anti-drinking/anti-drug people, probably the huge flaunting of it all. While some do, there's probably a lot who don't even like the taste of a lot of alcohol or any of that, but forced their mind into it for the PP aspect, fit in, be cool, go out with people, pose for a good pic that would fit a 's***faced!' caption, then make sure everyone sees it on Facebook.

Actually the people that annoy me are the people that can't handle themselves, mainly shows at the sporting events, give everyone else a bad name, leads to sales having to get cut off and higher prices for the rest of us

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)
But then again, other than Nuke, hi8is, maybe Tru or whitewashedin05', I doubt anyone here can out-drink me and I'll put a s***load of $$ on it. :) Damn I'm sounding like Pratt right now.. Me, Me, Me, Me, Me.

I wish there was a way for me to take you up on that...i got quite the impressive "resume" in that department haha

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)

I'll take you up on that, man. :)

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
haha, joke much? Anyways DGS was a pretty decent school. There are much, much worse out there.

No, I don't need to "joke much." DGS was a half-assed school with several cliques and corruption of some faculty members and administrators. No wonder the faculty is in trouble for not meeting state scores---I hope some people get canned.

I'm confused as to why you've added me as a friend, but that's okay.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
No, I don't need to "joke much." DGS was a half-assed school with several cliques and corruption of some faculty members and administrators. No wonder the faculty is in trouble for not meeting state scores---I hope some people get canned.

I'm confused as to why you've added me as a friend, but that's okay.

I can honestly say you are the most serious person I've ever met.

I am not sure what group I agree with here. I find that to engage in a lot of socialization in college, drinking is almost a must. However, that being said, I have never had a drink of alcohol in my life and I am sure I have missed out on a ton of the socialization in college. But, i honestly don't care too much about being that social, so it really never mattered to me. This is an interesting conversation.