Negative Catch All ~ House of Blues

Texsox

Here is the reason why this season can be mailed in and I was optimistic going into the year

This offense is not going to flip the switch. Every pitcher does the same thing and there is no deviating from that. Every game is the same whether left or right handed the pitcher may be. Stay away with junk after throwing a first ball fastball strike up in the zone. That beats every hitter on this team. Once in a while they will run into a hanger.

Orlando Cabrera is an embarrassment right now. His comments in the paper show what a weak person he is. The leader they thought they were getting is nowhere to be found and will not net the two draft picks that they hoped for.

Nick Swisher, Jim Thome and Paul Konerko are shells of the players they used to be.

Uribe and Crede also proving to be a tad under average major leaguers.

Quintin is a lone bright spot as A.J. and Dye are above average guys that can help a team win.

The philosophy of hitting has not changed in two years and everyone in baseball has figured it out. These hitters are not goignot change and the team is suseptible from 1 through 9 to the same pattern of pitching.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
Nick Swisher, Jim Thome and Paul Konerko are shells of the players they used to be.

Come on now. Nick Swisher has sucked for like 3 weeks. The guy's not even close to 30 yet.

When scoring three runs or less

2-15

When scoring two runs or less

1-12

When scoring a run or less

0-8

When not scoring a run

0-4

The sad thing is outside of the 13-1 loss to Minnesota the average runs allowed in these games. Total runs not earned runs, total runs is 3.5. Including the Min debalce 4 runs. average.

Of the 17 games in which they have scored threee runs or less Carmona, Marcum and Halladay are the only legitimate pitchers.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)

2-15

1-12

0-8

When not scoring a run

0-4

The sad thing is outside of the 13-1 loss to Minnesota the average runs allowed in these games. Total runs not earned runs, total runs is 3.5. Including the Min debalce 4 runs. average.

Of the 17 games in which they have scored threee runs or less Carmona, Marcum and Halladay are the only legitimate pitchers.

Kinda hard to win those games :lol:

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:04 AM)

2-15

1-12

0-8

When not scoring a run

0-4

Well jeez, when you don't score a lot of runs, you don't win a lot of games? That's a downright shocker to me.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
I have not enjoyed the Jim Thome Chicago era. He definitely has put up some misleading stats.

According to several people on this site, you would imagine Thome has been mediocre. He's the main reason the Sox 90 games in 2006 and he's a huge reason why the Sox didn't finish in last place last year.

At the very least, he's never measured properly...he's always underrated or overrated.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
Instead of trading him for prospects that could have helped us, we give Buehrle a huge extension last July. Looks like this will be a move that we will regret for a long time, Buehrle looks washed up.

Like I said at the time; it's a bad idea to give ANY pitcher 4+ guaranteed years. Looking back over the past decade or so I had a hard time finding a single pitcher who lived up to a deal that included 4+ guaranteed years, they either break down physically or just lose it all together midway through the contract. Buehrle is no exception.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 16, 2008 -> 12:01 AM)
Like I said at the time; it's a bad idea to give ANY pitcher 4+ guaranteed years. Looking back over the past decade or so I had a hard time finding a single pitcher who lived up to a deal that included 4+ guaranteed years, they either break down physically or just lose it all together midway through the contract. Buehrle is no exception.

It's also far too early to be saying that Buehrle has "lost it." He's had an ERA near 4.50 since August of last season, but Buehrle has gone through long stretches of mediocrity before and come out very well in the end.

He's a very dynamic pitcher in that he's up and down as much as any starter in the league. He's also durable, and that's something I don't see changing.

I still have nothing wrong with the extension to Buehrle. I'd have much rather given it to him than Garland or any other starter for that matter.

I also wonder what's magic about 4 years...why is it OK to give a 3 year extension to Garland, Contreras, Garcia, and Vazquez, but not 4 to Buehrle who's proven to be [just as/more] durable as those 4, is a fan favorite, and does happen to throw with his left hand? Is one more year really going to f*** you so hard that it'll make you re-think anything you've ever done?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
I hate to say this, as watching White Sox games is something I look forward to every day. However, this team is boring. At least during the corpseball era, they would light up the scoreboard a few times each week.

I hear you man, they are boring. Lots of men left on base or a string of innings where they'll go 1-2-3 and see about 10 pitches. They started off playing exciting baseball. The last time they were exciting was the Home Opener when Crede hit his grand slam. I mean they have been exciting since, but nothing consistent over a period of a few games. Hopefully this changes as the season progresses. I still get some excitement every time CQ steps up to the plate.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
I hate to say this, as watching White Sox games is something I look forward to every day. However, this team is boring. At least during the corpseball era, they would light up the scoreboard a few times each week.

I'd argue that the 2005 White Sox were boring too.

There's no comparison happening, and anyone that says I am is putting words into my mouth...I'd also say the 2008 Sox are more boring...just that I have no problem with boring, so long as the team is winning. Recently, even against mediocre/bad teams, they are winning. So there's no beef from me.

05/22/2007, 42 games into the season

CHW 23-19, 4 games over .500 (WPCT: .548) 3.5 out of 1st Place (3rd in Div) 6-4 in last 10 games

Home: 11-9 Away: 12-10 RS:178 RA:186

05/18/2008, 42 games into the season

CHW 22-20, 2 games over .500 (WPCT: .524) 1st Place 7-3 in last 10 games

Home: 9-7 Road: 13-13 RS:187 RA:162

overall, in the grand scheme of things we aren't really better than we were last year and in terms of record, we managed to be playing better in terms of wins/losses in 2007 after 42 games, and we were still only in 3rd place

comparing last year to this year, though, we gave up 24 more runs last year after 42 games, and scored 9 fewer runs than this year. so we're scoring more (slightly...) and allowing much fewer runs, but we have a worse record to show for it

this offense is hard to watch :( a really good team absolutely destroys the giants yesterday against Zito but, what can you do..

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 18, 2008 -> 02:11 AM)

CHW 23-19, 4 games over .500 (WPCT: .548) 3.5 out of 1st Place (3rd in Div) 6-4 in last 10 games

overall, in the grand scheme of things we aren't really better than we were last year and in terms of record, we managed to be playing better in terms of wins/losses in 2007 after 42 games, and we were still only in 3rd place

comparing last year to this year, though, we gave up 24 more runs last year after 42 games, and scored 9 fewer runs than this year. so we're scoring more (slightly...) and allowing much fewer runs, but we have a worse record to show for it

this offense is hard to watch :( a really good team absolutely destroys the giants yesterday against Zito but, what can you do..

Dude, you really put it in perspective. Offensively, we aren't that much better. However, our pitching has been phenomenal. Thats what separates us from last year. Also, I totally agree with WSF, the 2005 offense was so boring. We all look back upon that entire season with rose colored glasses, but I remember talking to a friend then about how we were boring to watch, and it was a good thing we had good pitching... This team could be really fun to watch. I like the new batting order and hope we stay with it. A lot of wasted opportunities last night, hopefully that was due to lots of starters taking the night off. I really feel like we need an extended winning streak right now. Lets build on these 4 games and put the 0-6 road trip to start the month off behind us. How bout a 17-12 May? It would take a real strong finish, come on White Sox!

i'd like to win tomorrow (Danks you can do it, has been stellar all year IMO) and go home 7-3 on this road trip and take at least 2 from cleveland (their pitching has been absolutely dominant just like ours has, and their hitting has been brutal. fitting that we share almost identical records)

one thing we have on cleveland though, is our bullpen. Dotel > Linebrink has been awesome as a 1-2 punch to get to jenks, whereas Cleveland has seen some struggles with betancourt and perez and their closer is in limbo right now alternating between a couple guys here and there

has anyone seen Cliff Lee pitch this year with their own eyes? i haven't myself, how good has he been REALLY? is this all smoke and mirrors or is he legit now?

edit: just looking through his stats this year, he has a 1.22:1 ground out to flyout ratio, he's only walked 4 guys all year, 0.67 ERA, 0.67 whip in 53 f***ing innings, are you kidding me?

he's going to dominate this lineup who tries to be overly patient no matter which pitcher they're facing. these guys need to read more into scouting reports before the games and take a proper approach. sanchez was known to be overly wild and tends to walk a lot of guys, yet we only had what, 3 walks? some pitchers, you just need to take the 1st or 2nd pitch and attack it, because guys like Cliff Lee will make you pay if you don't, I hope our guys get the memo when we face him for the first time

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 18, 2008 -> 02:11 AM)

2007 did not feature Carlos Quentin. You lose already cuz Super Quentin said so.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
I hope Jim Thome retires after this season.

My pipedream:

Thome retires

Dye moves to DH

Quentin moves to right

Dunn is signed to play left

Of course, having an older JD or Dunn at all out there (you could DH Dunn too) hurts the defense, but I'd still love to see it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2008 -> 04:05 AM)
My pipedream:

Thome retires

Dye moves to DH

Quentin moves to right

Dunn is signed to play left

Of course, having an older JD or Dunn at all out there (you could DH Dunn too) hurts the defense, but I'd still love to see it.

On the radio today, Bruce Levine said the Sox plan on moving CQ to RF next year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 23, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
On the radio today, Bruce Levine said the Sox plan on moving CQ to RF next year.

Yeah, but my pipedream would never work anyways due to how bad that defense would be. Plus, I think we're going to move Swish to 1st and DH Paulie as soon as Thome is gone, so that means we'll have a need in CF too, and I don't think we have anybody in our organization to fill that void right now. Of course, we could just move Swish to LF too, keep Paulie at 1st, and DH Dye.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 24, 2008 -> 04:09 AM)
Yeah, but my pipedream would never work anyways due to how bad that defense would be. Plus, I think we're going to move Swish to 1st and DH Paulie as soon as Thome is gone, so that means we'll have a need in CF too, and I don't think we have anybody in our organization to fill that void right now. Of course, we could just move Swish to LF too, keep Paulie at 1st, and DH Dye.

Swisher at 1b is pretty mediocre in terms of offense. Who knows what will happen....I can see the Sox going after Furcal with a huge deal.