So if we rattle off a win streak here...

Princess Dye

If we keep winning with Quentin being a part of it, Swisher getting on base and handling CF.... I have to think lineup has to keep being Swish at the top and Quentin at LF.

Now, Owens could come up here for Ramirez...but there'd be no point in doing that to your IF depth. I suppose he could come up here for BA, but he wouldnt be playing regularly anyway. So why have him up? keep BA as the defensive replacement.

I like Owens, but I dont think he can come up unless something goes wrong.

My question to all: can Owens be up here if he's not going to be an everyday guy?

Edited by Princess Dye

In a perfect world I think Owens would replace Ramirez and then Alexei could get every day ABs at AAA until he is more prepared for the MLB (whether its here or in AAA I really think Alexei needs regular ABs). But we cant only carry one IF backup, so unless the Sox are going to send down Alexei and Anderson and then add Owens and another IFer, I dont see it working out that way.

Personally, I think if we continue to win Owens will end up staying in AAA. But if we falter he will replace Anderson.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 07:41 PM)
My question to all: can Owens be up here if he's not going to be an everyday guy?

Not based on Ozzie's quotes out of spring training. He loves Jerry's speed.

Personally, I like Quentin and love the idea of havng Anderson being a late inning defensive replacement.

Bob

I'm afraid Owens is to Guillen as Neifi Perez is to Dusty Baker

Having Owens isn't a bad thing. He would be the only guy with speed on this team, but that should make him a bench player.

I too think Alexei should be down at AAA, when Owens comes back. He needs AB's to adjust to breaking balls etc.

If Quentin keeps hitting, it's going to be very hard to keep him out of the lineup. And Swisher has been holding down the fort fairly well in CF.

An Owens / Quentin platoon is what I think we'll still end up with (with them rotating in CF / LF with Swisher from time to time depending on who's playing).

In the article I read on whitesox.com, it says Ozzie has no plan of changing the roster, unless of injury. So, I have some hope. I really like this lineup with Quentin in it as opposed to Anderson. I'd like it even more if Ramirez started at 2B, and if Fields was the 3B.

I don't like Swisher as a leadoff hitter, but he has been taking walks like crazy, so that's good.

However, if Ozzie and KW are going to stick with Uribe and play Quentin pretty much everyday, I'd rather see Ramirez down at Charlotte getting AB's everyday and working on hitting offspeed pitcher, and one of Bourgeois or Rouse called up to be the utility player.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 10:16 PM)
Who should lead off if not Swisher?

I didn't say he shouldn't lead off. I said I don't love him there... but he is our best option there. Perhaps from a deadline deal we could get a real leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 10:18 PM)
What does that mean?

Rafael Furcal was the one guy I wanted to care of a couple of problems, namely because he's a leadoff guy that plays shortstop.

We've got everything we want right now in a leadoff guy in Swish.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 11:25 PM)
I believe we talked about this a few times in the off-season, at I agree Furcal would have been a good fit, probably better than O-Cab at this point.

I also agree Swish is perfect in the lead-off spot right now, and if you got decent pitching all season, you would see a very successful team with Swish leading off.

While I agree that he is doing great right now, (6 straight walks? sick), but lets agree that he is not your prototypical leadoff guy, only because hes not a threat to steal. But to me, that doesn't matter. if a guy can get on base, then he is a good enough leadoff hitter. Clearly. that is what Swisher is. Plus, he's a threat to go deep too (or so, he was in Oakland). Always a good way to start a game.. leadoff homer.

Let's keep it up, don't mess with the lineup, and keep on winning.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:36 AM)
Brian Roberts. Damn it.

I'm ok with Swisher batting leadoff, but if we got Roberts that would be a plus over Uribe.

Roberts

Cabrerra

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Swisher

Pierzynski

Crede

Quentin/Anderson/Owens

That's a nice lineup.

We already have a nice lineup.

People get much too hung up in speed when talking about leadoff hitters. As long as he gets on base, setting the table for our power bats, what does it matter? Sure, speed is a nice bonus to have, but at this point, Swisher is the ideal leadoff man. 8 walks in 5 games. Think about that for a minute, and get back to me. That's a .421 OBP. Now, obviously, he won't keep this pace up, but if anything, he's shown that he knows how to draw out an at-bat and work the pitcher, while working him for a walk the majority of the time thus far. This can only lead to good things, and should be the main goal of the leadoff man in the first place.

Also, I agree with wite that we have a #3 starter in Danks. What we really need is a 4 and 5, but if Floyd pitches like he did today, that would be a huge step in the right direction. Count, on the other hand, needs a lot of work.

I'm not willing to hand Danks the crown of bonafide #3 starter just yet. Let's see how his new pitches go over the second time around the league.

I have this feeling that the more opponents see of him, the more adjustments that they will make.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 01:08 AM)
I'm not willing to hand Danks the crown of bonafide #3 starter just yet. Let's see how his new pitches go over the second time around the league.

I have this feeling that the more opponents see of him, the more adjustments that they will make.

Well yeah that's the name of the game. Danks makes adjustments too.

I just have a really good feeling about Danks stuff right now. Good fastball, curve, and change, and with that cutter too, he should be a damn fine pitcher.

I dont think that Ozzie is as in love with Jerry Owens as it is made out to be. Ozzie had no problem sending Owens down last year when he came up the first time and sucked, and to Jerry's credit, he came back and was a contributor to the solution rather than the problem. Plus, Jerry spent a good portion of spring training with injury problems to his legs, which really hurts his chances of ousting someone from their roster spot.

I think we are going to see one of Ozzie's patented Sunday lineups today, and BA is going to be a part of it. Thome and Dye have both played every game so far, and Ozzie likes to rotate the old fella's in and out. Who knows, maybe Swisher goes to first and Konerko gets a rest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3331744

And maybe the most intriguing new White Sox player is Cuban defector Alexei Ramirez. "He's a great athlete who I've tried at four or five different positions, and he's handled them all," Guillen said.

Ramirez soon may be sent to the minors to get regular at-bats, but if he gets into the game, he brings exciting speed to the White Sox, a club that's under the radar, but one with the kind of talent that could become very dangerous as the year proceeds

Edited by kyyle23