Stadium Observations

joeynach

Today at opening day I noticed some new stuff for the 2008 season. First of all the new Legacy Brick area is awesome. Its not just bricks, there are new statues, bricks, landscaping, lighting, flower boxes, ornamental brick and ironwork, etc. It really looks great and well done. Also I noticed they implemented a host of new LCD TV's around the ballpark, little ones at the food concessions and larger ones hanging from the Beer Stands in the outfield. They have some new big billboard adds in the outfield, not a big deal but actually looks good. I also noticed some sort of Marble like memorial built into the side of the Gate 5 complex (the ticket office part) on the side closest to Shields Ave. I didn't get a good look and Im not sure what it is. The sox intro video had some nice additions; Buerhle's no hitter, Thome's 500th Homer, and Bobby's Consecutive Innings Streak.

On the not so good side I noticed the prices for Beer and Food were up, shocker, at least Hot Dogs and Polish's. Im sure the price of parking is up, that seems to be a favorite thing of the sox to do. And I noticed there was no Pitch Speed being displayed at all, in the normal location where it usually is was just pitch count. Which is strange cuz then thats 3 separate displays for pitch count, doesn't make sense. I hope it was only a fluke and the pitch speed will be back, its basically a mainstay of the modern ballpark. In fact a lot of other stadiums display not only the speed, but the pitch type, that would be nice.

Anyone else have any stadium observations to add.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joeynach @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
Today at opening day I noticed some new stuff for the 2008 season. First of all the new Legacy Brick area is awesome. Its not just bricks, there are new statues, bricks, landscaping, lighting, flower boxes, ornamental brick and ironwork, etc. It really looks great and well done. Also I noticed they implemented a host of new LCD TV's around the ballpark, little ones at the food concessions and larger ones hanging from the Beer Stands in the outfield. They have some new big billboard adds in the outfield, not a big deal but actually looks good. I also noticed some sort of Marble like memorial built into the side of the Gate 5 complex (the ticket office part) on the side closest to Shields Ave. I didn't get a good look and Im not sure what it is. The sox intro video had some nice additions; Buerhle's no hitter, Thome's 500th Homer, and Bobby's Consecutive Innings Streak.

On the not so good side I noticed the prices for Beer and Food were up, shocker, at least Hot Dogs and Polish's. Im sure the price of parking is up, that seems to be a favorite thing of the sox to do. And I noticed there was no Pitch Speed being displayed at all, in the normal location where it usually is was just pitch count. Which is strange cuz then thats 3 separate displays for pitch count, doesn't make sense. I hope it was only a fluke and the pitch speed will be back, its basically a mainstay of the modern ballpark. In fact a lot of other stadiums display not only the speed, but the pitch type, that would be nice.

Anyone else have any stadium observations to add.

Yes. The scoreboard operator needs to be replaced. Crede fouled 2 balls back and it said the count was 2 and 1. AJP was at the plate the scoreboard said he was 0 for 1 with a groundout and a single. I thought the substitute PA announcer was the best they have had.

Food prices are up and in the fundamentals part, they still have Pods running the speed drill. Get rid of him and put up Quentin or Swisher, also the club seats have changed their menu dramatically. No Gene Honda ?

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
Food prices are up and in the fundamentals part, they still have Pods running the speed drill. Get rid of him and put up Quentin or Swisher, also the club seats have changed their menu dramatically. No Gene Honda ?

Gene Honda is doin the Final 4, he will be back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 07:41 PM)
Yes. The scoreboard operator needs to be replaced. Crede fouled 2 balls back and it said the count was 2 and 1. AJP was at the plate the scoreboard said he was 0 for 1 with a groundout and a single. I thought the substitute PA announcer was the best they have had.

Anyone is better than when Tom Shaer replaces Gene Honda. I didn't have one but they have a couple of new hot dogs as well. A footlong hot dog for like $8 and a Comiskey dog (basically a chicago style hot dog) for $5. That new Legacy Brick area is pretty nice and the TV's will be cool, but they didn't have the ones in the Upper Deck by the concession stands on for some reason. Dumb.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
Anyone is better than when Tom Shaer replaces Gene Honda. I didn't have one but they have a couple of new hot dogs as well. A footlong hot dog for like $8 and a Comiskey dog (basically a chicago style hot dog) for $5. That new Legacy Brick area is pretty nice and the TV's will be cool, but they didn't have the ones in the Upper Deck by the concession stands on for some reason. Dumb.

I also saw people with loaded fries, fries with chilie and cheese served inside some foil wrapping. I also saw ppl eatin the comiskey dog, it looked like a Chicago Style dog with it was loaded with something red and chunky, could have been salsa, not exactly sure.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 12:41 AM)
I thought the substitute PA announcer was the best they have had.

The PA Announcer was horrible I thought. He spoke too softly with the Twin players (He didn't even announce Morneau in his 2nd AB) and had bad timing throughout the game. Granted, Tom Shaer blows but this guy was even worse.

Couldn't sample the food, loaded up on too many brats and too many beers in the lot but my friends said the brisket and Comiskey Dogs were damn good! All in all, a fantastic day and the fav moment was the crowd chanting CREDE! CREDE! for the curtain call!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)
foot long sloppy joes, tacos , foot long chili dogs. I didn't order any food though, so I can't give a review.

Pulled Buffalo chicken sandwich which I had, it was ok.

Tend to like the old menu with the grilled chicken sandwich and the beefs.

Edited by Soxpranos

I am glad the PA announcer was just a sub because the one at opening day today just was no good. The LCD were sweet. And was it me or were more people standing in the outfield walkway then ever before.

Plus i am a a guy and hate to wait in the bathroom line for 15 mins the three times i went.

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
I am glad the PA announcer was just a sub because the one at opening day today just was no good. The LCD were sweet. And was it me or were more people standing in the outfield walkway then ever before.

Plus i am a a guy and hate to wait in the bathroom line for 15 mins the three times i went.

There's no wait on the club level.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
Yep.

For only like $20 more you get a waitress with a running tab, plasma tvs and carpet. Plus easy access bathrooms that are real nice.

IM there on wed for 25 bucks a ticket. Best value in the park.

This pitch speed thing seems weird. WGN removed any sign of pitch speed on their telecasts, people were complaining about it on the Score the day after the first Cubs game. Or I could just be over thinking it and it could be nothing.

The new thing I might try is the brisket sandwich and these freshly roasted peanuts I read about on whitesox.com, but as long as they keep my elotes stand and some alcohol, I'm cool with food.

The pitch speed appears to be gone for good. The area it was previously in, is missing. I also like the 2 recliners above the bullpen bar, which 2 people per game will get. Yesterday they won the seats by winning a game of bags.

As usual, the bathrooms were out of control, due to too many men being at the game. I had 1 beer in the park, so I wouldn't have to use the bathroom.

I really like the monument area...and statue appears to be the celebration on the mound, at the World Series. And there appear to still be bricks available.

Awesome day yesterday. Thanks Crede.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
The pitch speed appears to be gone for good. The area it was previously in, is missing. I also like the 2 recliners above the bullpen bar, which 2 people per game will get. Yesterday they won the seats by winning a game of bags.

As usual, the bathrooms were out of control, due to too many men being at the game. I had 1 beer in the park, so I wouldn't have to use the bathroom.

I really like the monument area...and statue appears to be the celebration on the mound, at the World Series. And there appear to still be bricks available.

Awesome day yesterday. Thanks Crede.

Having one beer is just not something I could do. Ever.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
The pitch speed appears to be gone for good. The area it was previously in, is missing.

Its still there - it just said "Pitch Count" with the number under it. Which was sort of dumb, since the pitch count is already on 2 of the band boards along the edge of the UD.