2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
I understand the innings and runs look good, but Harden has shown nothing to make me think he is anywhere near 100 percent his last two starts. His control wasn't too bad last outing (6 innings, 1 walk), but he was pedestrian by his lofty standards allowing 5 hits, 2 runs, and only having 3 strikeouts, plus his velocity was very good in game game at St. Louis. Today on 6 days rest, Harden had his velocity back (fastball was 92 to 94) and only allowed one run and one hit in 5 innings, but he wasn't himself at all otherwise. Harden had to throw 115 pitches (many of them high stress, Lou left him in way too long) to get through the 5 innings. He only threw 68 strikes out of the 115 pitches, and his walk total of 6 would have been much higher if the Brewers hadn't chased pitches (and his admittedly impressive 7 strikeout total would have been lower). He has shown the ability to have control and velocity his last two outings, but not both at the same time, and he's not the same guy if he can only have one and not the other.

Harden's going to have 2 weeks before his next start, according to the radio this morning. With Sheets likely out for the year, I'm hoping the Dodgers/Mets/Phillies make the postseason, with the Cubs drawing the Phillies in the opening round. I honestly believe the Dodgers are the best bets to beat the Cubs though.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Harden's going to have 2 weeks before his next start, according to the radio this morning. With Sheets likely out for the year, I'm hoping the Dodgers/Mets/Phillies make the postseason, with the Cubs drawing the Phillies in the opening round. I honestly believe the Dodgers are the best bets to beat the Cubs though.

I don't know if they can rely on Harden much right now. If I'm the Cubs, he's either my 3rd or 4th starter on the postseason roster. And I still think the Phillies would be the Cubs toughest matchup on the NL side.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:00 PM)
I don't know if they can rely on Harden much right now. If I'm the Cubs, he's either my 3rd or 4th starter on the postseason roster. And I still think the Phillies would be the Cubs toughest matchup on the NL side.

I think if Harden is not 100% than the Phils would be their toughest match because of their lineup and then Hamels and Meyer as their 1 and 2 and Lidge at the end. If Zambrano and Harden are full guns, they are a big favorite

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)

Crap, I meant to put the Phillies are the best bet to beat the Cubs. Hamels has been the toughest pitcher on them over the last two seasons, and the Phillies bullpen is strong and they have the lefty bats to hopefully offset the Cubs pitchers.

I had my say on how Harden has looked his last two outings, both on extended rest. But another big question here is what the hell is Lou doing? Letting Harden throw 115 pitches over 5 innings in a relatively meaningless game is pretty damn stupid in my opinion. Actually, to let anybody do that under these circumstances is pretty damn stupid, but REALLY damn stupid might be a better way to describe it when a fragile guy like Harden is the one pitching.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
I had my say on how Harden has looked his last two outings, both on extended rest. But another big question here is what the hell is Lou doing? Letting Harden throw 115 pitches over 5 innings in a relatively meaningless game is pretty damn stupid in my opinion. Actually, to let anybody do that under these circumstances is pretty damn stupid, but REALLY damn stupid might be a better way to describe it when a fragile guy like Harden is the one pitching.

He could of been taking the "who gives a flying f" approach, similar to what Yost did with CC. I believe Harden only has an option left for next year, and I don't think it's for huge money (if anyone knows what his contract status is, please provide). The Cubs might just say f it, let's see if he can hold together for 2 more months and make the best run we can at the WS.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
Sounded like the Samardzihnfskaliadhaja love is fading just a tad, huh?

I said it on draft day...he has the potential to be one of my most hated athletes. ND and the Cubs is a match made in hell for my least favorite teams.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
He could of been taking the "who gives a flying f" approach, similar to what Yost did with CC. I believe Harden only has an option left for next year, and I don't think it's for huge money (if anyone knows what his contract status is, please provide). The Cubs might just say f it, let's see if he can hold together for 2 more months and make the best run we can at the WS.

I understand your point, but they need Harden healthy for THIS October. I don't know if he's healthy as it is right now, but letting him throw 115 high stress, wild pitches in only 5 innings could hurt his chances at being healthy next month, which is really all they do or should care about.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
Sounded like the Samardzihnfskaliadhaja love is fading just a tad, huh?

Well to be fair, all those runs scored with 2 outs and there was an error by DeRosa earlier in the inning, so without that none of those runs score in theory and they are unearned. But yeah, the love for Samardzija has faded lately.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
I understand your point, but they need Harden healthy for THIS October. I don't know if he's healthy as it is right now, but letting him throw 115 high stress, wild pitches in only 5 innings could hurt his chances at being healthy next month, which is really all they do or should care about.

They do have to find out what he may or may not have left for October, and they probably want to do it in September rather than maybe down 0-1 in a NLDS series. I see your point too though, he's an enigma. This is why the A's probably couldn't get the high end prospects for him that his talent would seem to demand. I think when he was traded he had made 8 or 9 starts in a row and he either never, or only a small amount of times, made over 10 starts without some form of injury.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)

Yeah, but Harden and CC are two different situations.

CC has been pretty durable his whole career and always takes the ball, so overusing him now probably wouldnt affect him until later down the line.

Harden's right arm is liable to fall off at any moment, so over exerting him just once could easily knock him out for a couple weeks or more, which would make him useless for the playoffs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
Yeah, but Harden and CC are two different situations.

CC has been pretty durable his whole career and always takes the ball, so overusing him now probably wouldnt affect him until later down the line.

Actually, I think this is incorrect. He's been fairly durable, but until 2007 he always seemed to be hurt for a while every year, especially in April.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
Actually, I think this is incorrect. He's been fairly durable, but until 2007 he always seemed to be hurt for a while every year, especially in April.

He may have had minor injuries early in some seasons, but this is his 8th year, and 2006 was the only year he made less than 30 starts, and he made 28 in that season, so he hasnt missed very many starts

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)

Cold weather rib injuries it always seemed like for him

This group of cubs players all of a sudden feel entitled to special treatment, by both the umps and the other team. I've never seen so much arguing, bat flipping, complaining from the north side. Professional and good guy players like DLEE have taken a back seat to some of these a-holes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
This group of cubs players all of a sudden feel entitled to special treatment, by both the umps and the other team. I've never seen so much arguing, bat flipping, complaining from the north side. Professional and good guy players like DLEE have taken a back seat to some of these a-holes.

Agree. DLee is the one Cub player I like. Funny thing is, some of my friends who are Cub fans think they should trade him in the off season. I said that we would take him.

The ump has been awful both ways. Harden should of walked a couple of more guys in that 1st inning but was the benefit of calls off the plate.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)

Oh, and heaven forbid anyone on the other team shows any emotion.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:39 PM)
Agree. DLee is the one Cub player I like. Funny thing is, some of my friends who are Cub fans think they should trade him in the off season. I said that we would take him.

The ump has been awful both ways. Harden should of walked a couple of more guys in that 1st inning but was the benefit of calls off the plate.

Cubs fans hate D. Lee now. Lee used to be a good guy, but he's the biggest whiner of the bunch.