Thome's HR

The Human Borch

As Boers and Bernsy have said recently,Jim Thome at the plate is an event.He is a guy that you have to stop what you are doing to watch him because he has the potential to do something that will wow you,like last nights homerun.He is the only "event" in the Whitesox lineup,even though he isnt the best hitter.

despite his event-ness... if Jerry Owens could get a .400 OBP and have at least some slugging..... i'd bench Thome and get Swisher lower in the lineup. Makes us faster, and Swisher can have Thome's power numbers (especially in the Cell) if he decides to have the mindset he had in 06.

not something to worry about, though, b/c Owens isnt that.

Edited by Princess Dye

I'd rather bat with 8 people than bench Thome and play Owens. In my mind Owens is already wearing another team's colors.

When I think of 2007, a few things come to mind.

-Owens

-Andy Gonzalez

If he develops into *anything*, then congrats, pat on the back, etc. I don't wish failure upon him, he just needs to go to some bufu team on the west coast in the NL and stay away.

Gonzalez, Cintron, and Owens in the same lineup. It literally gives me a bad feeling in my stomach to think about that.

Jerry Owens hitting a 250 foot shot

Jerry Owens career slugging %

Anything more than a dribbler down the middle of the infield which isn't gloved cause the defenders were playing him wrong and he will have beaten the odds IMO. I think our offense would be better served if we just planted a tree in the batters box instead of having him bat. Quitting baseball and doing track instead would be a solid career move.

...still can't believe we had Owens, Tererro, Cintron AND Gonzalez in the same lineup last year. Is that even legal? Surely if there's rules against killing, raping, or stealing, then there's rules against that lineup.

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
despite his event-ness... if Jerry Owens could get a .400 OBP and have at least some slugging..... i'd bench Thome and get Swisher lower in the lineup. Makes us faster, and Swisher can have Thome's power numbers (especially in the Cell) if he decides to have the mindset he had in 06.

You are underrating Thome's presence in the lineup and the talent that he still has.While overrating Swisher as a power hitter in a lineup.Swisher is so much more valuable the way we are using him now which has forced him to take a better approach at the plate.Iam not sure of his SO rate so far but it has to be far lower than his career numbers.

Also I don't think Swisher will put up the power numbers thome will, even though he is now in the cell for half his games. I could be wrong about that but swish looks more like a 35 HR guy for his career than a 40 HR guy. The real measure of power is slugging, and thome's numbers last year are much better than swish's career best. I think you are letting thome's rocky start fool you.

Edited by max power

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
I'd rather bat with 8 people than bench Thome and play Owens. In my mind Owens is already wearing another team's colors.

When I think of 2007, a few things come to mind.

-Owens

-Andy Gonzalez

If he develops into *anything*, then congrats, pat on the back, etc. I don't wish failure upon him, he just needs to go to some bufu team on the west coast in the NL and stay away.

Gonzalez, Terrero and Owens in the same lineup. It literally gives me a bad feeling in my stomach to think about that.

Jerry Owens hitting a 250 foot shot

Jerry Owens career slugging %

Anything more than a dribbler down the middle of the infield which isn't gloved cause the defenders were playing him wrong and he will have beaten the odds IMO. I think our offense would be better served if we just planted a tree in the batters box instead of having him bat. Quitting baseball and doing track instead would be a solid career move.

Lemme see if I got this straight. You don't think much of Jerry Owens, is that right?

Lmao

Getting back to the distance of Thome's HR. For what it's worth some mention in a news report was 500 ft??!! I suppose one could plot out a possible distance if they knew enough physics and math and were real good with numbers, etc. I know I ain't.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 06:53 AM)
You are underrating Thome's presence in the lineup and the talent that he still has.While overrating Swisher as a power hitter in a lineup.Swisher is so much more valuable the way we are using him now which has forced him to take a better approach at the plate.Iam not sure of his SO rate so far but it has to be far lower than his career numbers.

+1

Even when Thome's struggling, he still commands a ton of respect (and walks) and can change a game pretty quickly. If Thome is on your roster, you start him 130+ times a season.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
Getting back to the distance of Thome's HR. For what it's worth some mention in a news report was 500 ft??!! I suppose one could plot out a possible distance if they knew enough physics and math and were real good with numbers, etc. I know I ain't.

The homer was estimated at 418 feet, but White Sox players thought it would have gone much farther had it missed the catwalk. Thome said it was one of his longest homers.

I agree that it probably went a little further than that. Maybe not 500 ft. since it was hit pretty high, but maybe 430 or 440.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
The homer was estimated at 418 feet, but White Sox players thought it would have gone much farther had it missed the catwalk. Thome said it was one of his longest homers.

I agree that it probably went a little further than that. Maybe not 500 ft. since it was hit pretty high, but maybe 430 or 440.

www.hittrackeronline.com is the site for all your home distance needs. Go explore it. It usually takes a day or two to get the homers up with their data, they have Konerko's up from yeterday, but not Thome 's yet. My guess its thats something close to the 440-450 shot he hit at US Cellular against the indians really early in the year that made right near the concourse.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 07:42 AM)

Swisher can't put up Jim Thome numbers. Not even late in his career Jim Thome numbers.

I'd stop watching and listening to the Sox this year if they benched Thome for Owens. I mean, in limited action last season Thome still hit 35 home runs and drove in 96. I'd almost put money on it that Swisher and Owens combined don't reach either of those totals. I love Swish, but he doesn't bring to the table what Jim Thome brings. That said, Thome doesn't bring to the table what Swisher does. Either way, there aren't many players (if any) in the White Sox organization right now that are worth playing over Thome. The Sox knew it when they brought him in, it's feast or famine with big Jim.

There's only one thing I'd do with Big Jim for the rest of the year. Drop him to #5 in the order.

Have AJ bat 3rd then? We need a lefty somewhere in the 3 or 4 spot, I think. Also I think it works better when a lefty bats 6th because our typical 7th, 8th, and 9th hitters are all righties. You wouldn't want your 6th batter to be a righty too.

Edited by max power

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 19, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
Have AJ bat 3rd then? We need a lefty somewhere in the 3 or 4 spot, I think. Also I think it works better when a lefty bats 6th because our typical 7th, 8th, and 9th hitters are all righties. You wouldn't want your 6th batter to be a righty too.

If Owens is up, I do a sort of platoon job in the 3 slot with Swisher and Dye. (Not the traditional platoon with fielding position as well.) Tough to do this, though, when Quentin is playing so well. I wouldn't want to take AB's away from him. But, of course, when Swisher bats 3rd you can put Quentin at the top. That does make for a R vs. R matchup to start the game, though.

Either way, I do think there are options.