Possible OF solutions

lostfan

So for the first week or so once Quentin became a fixture in the lineup, Ozzie was leery of making any changes to the outfield because all 3 of them were murdering the ball. This left Anderson in no man's land and not much of an opportunity to capitalize on his good spring though, which was unfortunate but obviously the right decision considering the circumstances. However, Swisher and Dye have cooled off, specifically Dye, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it started once Dye tweaked his leg either. Most people recognize that Dye is arguably the best hitter on the team when he's healthy and has a good feel for things, but remember last year when he also had a lingering leg injury it seemed to affect everything at the plate. Bat speed, strike zone judgment, etc. all added up to these terrible 3-pitch strikeout at-bats.

On the other side of things, you have Anderson and Ramirez. Ramirez just doesn't seem to be benefiting from being here right now, to be quite honest. It's not helping either his personal development, or the team to have a guy struggle with MLB pitching in sporadic at-bats, and there's no real way to get him in the game and let him get over that hump either. On the other hand, when Dye got hurt that allowed Anderson to step in to get consecutive ABs and get his rhythm and timing back down, and he's been hitting pretty well albeit with no power (at least yet).

I'm thinking now that Ozzie should be more liberal in giving Anderson starts to give Dye some rest. This isn't exactly unprecedented or a departure from the norm, since we're all familiar with Ozzie's managing style where he likes to use his bench guys to keep them fresh, and Anderson needs that as much as anyone. Ramirez should go to AAA to make his eventual step up to MLB easier since it's a little steep for him right now, and Owens should come up from AAA since he is both a lefty bat off the bench and a pinch runner.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
So for the first week or so once Quentin became a fixture in the lineup, Ozzie was leery of making any changes to the outfield because all 3 of them were murdering the ball. This left Anderson in no man’s land and not much of an opportunity to capitalize on his good spring though, which was unfortunate but obviously the right decision considering the circumstances. However, Swisher and Dye have cooled off, specifically Dye, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it started once Dye tweaked his leg either. Most people recognize that Dye is arguably the best hitter on the team when he’s healthy and has a good feel for things, but remember last year when he also had a lingering leg injury it seemed to affect everything at the plate. Bat speed, strike zone judgment, etc. all added up to these terrible 3-pitch strikeout at-bats.

On the other side of things, you have Anderson and Ramirez. Ramirez just doesn’t seem to be benefiting from being here right now, to be quite honest. It’s not helping either his personal development, or the player to have a guy struggle with MLB pitching in sporadic at-bats, and there’s no real way to get him in the game and let him get over that hump either. On the other hand, when Dye got hurt that allowed Anderson to step in to get consecutive ABs and get his rhythm and timing back down, and he’s been hitting pretty well albeit with no power (at least yet).

I’m thinking now that Ozzie should be more liberal in giving Anderson starts to give Dye some rest. This isn’t exactly unprecedented or a departure from the norm, since we’re all familiar with Ozzie’s managing style where he likes to use his bench guys to keep them fresh, and Anderson needs that as much as anyone. Ramirez should go to AAA to make his eventual step up to MLB easier since it’s a little steep for him right now, and Owens should come up from AAA since he is both a lefty bat off the bench and a pinch runner.

I like it, but not gonna happen.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
I like it, but not gonna happen.

You are correct because Ramirez is not going anywhere and that's just wishful thinking on my part. Anderson getting more PT to rest Dye might happen though if only because that's consistent with Ozzie's management style like I was saying.

I also feel perfectly comfortable on the days when Anderson is in CF and Swish is playing 1B over Konerko.

I thought of something similar last night.

I'm no Owens advocate, but calling him up and starting some big rotation between Owens/Swisher in Center and on days where Owens starts mix Swisher up with Thome/Konerko (maybe even Dye, but moreso Paulie and Thome) at DH/First/Right to keep our dinos fresh. At least if Owens gets on he could be at second via SB when Cabrera bounces out to short. Throw Nicholas and his walks in front of Quentin, and well...

Maybe have Swish exclusively spot Thome and Konerko and Anderson-Dye. Alexei should be great but not this year except as a September callup.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:55 AM)
I thought of something similar last night.

I'm no Owens advocate, but calling him up and starting some big rotation between Owens/Swisher in Center and on days where Owens starts mix Swisher up with Thome/Konerko (maybe even Dye, but moreso Paulie and Thome) at DH/First/Right to keep our dinos fresh. At least if Owens gets on he could be at second via SB when Cabrera bounces out to short. Throw Nicholas and his walks in front of Quentin, and well...

Maybe have Swish exclusively spot Thome and Konerko and Anderson-Dye. Alexei should be great but not this year except as a September callup.

That's way too much rotating for me....I'd like a little more consistency. I'd like Owens up here for a couple reasons. We can use a a lefty pinch hitter and a good pinch runner... and I'd like Ramirez to get consistent AB's in AAA. That's it. Once we start talking about Owens leading off and starting in CF...I start thinking...I'd rather him stay where he is. JMO

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 1, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
uggh....I'm not sure that's what he was advocating.

Right... I'm not. If I was sure Owens could get at least a .360 OBP and hit more doubles I would be. But all the OFs on this team not named Ramirez are better than Owens. Still, with Richar hurt we need a lefty bat to PH and a speed guy to PR and Owens is both.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ May 1, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
That's way too much rotating for me....I'd like a little more consistency. I'd like Owens up here for a couple reasons. We can use a a lefty pinch hitter and a good pinch runner... and I'd like Ramirez to get consistent AB's in AAA. That's it. Once we start talking about Owens leading off and starting in CF...I start thinking...I'd rather him stay where he is. JMO

In my vision Owens would probably start twice a week, and the continuity of that would be in direct correlation to the success he has with those limited AB's. The main reason behind this idea would be to get Swisher further down the order without having to make Quentin lead off, and giving Brontosaurus and Stegasaurus (who the f*** was Carl kidding?) time off as needed. I just think Owens would be more valuable to have than Alexei at this point, even with 1 or 2 starts a week, *but* I wouldn't bring him up here to exclusively be a pinch runner. Keep in mind I don't like Owens too much, I'm just looking for potential ways for OC to ground into less DP's per week.

*Edit* And if it doesn't work, f*** it. Try to keep your head above water until Richar is good enought to come back, then banish Orlando Cintron towards the bottom of the order, save for unless he gets his s*** together like I expect him to...I like Juan for his glove and those times where he mistakenly thinks he's Babe-Rod, but I guess he would be the odd man out in the Richar scenario, unless Richar falls flat on his face (but didn't the Diamondbacks draft him?).

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ May 2, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
In my vision Owens would probably start twice a week, and the continuity of that would be in direct correlation to the success he has with those limited AB's. The main reason behind this idea would be to get Swisher further down the order without having to make Quentin lead off, and giving Brontosaurus and Stegasaurus (who the f*** was Carl kidding?) time off as needed. I just think Owens would be more valuable to have than Alexei at this point, even with 1 or 2 starts a week, *but* I wouldn't bring him up here to exclusively be a pinch runner. Keep in mind I don't like Owens too much, I'm just looking for potential ways for OC to ground into less DP's per week.

You say Owens 3 too many times in this post and Anderson/BA/Brian 3 too few times.

QUOTE (KevinM @ May 2, 2008 -> 06:58 AM)
He got hurt. Do you want to blame him for it?

i'm not blaming anyone for anything, i just can't believe the guy finally gets into ST and then suddenly hurts himself significantly enough to miss opening day and, ultimately, the entire first month of the season

what kind of injury is it anyway, and how far along until he's ready to start platooning with uribe at 2B?

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 2, 2008 -> 07:30 AM)
i'm not blaming anyone for anything, i just can't believe the guy finally gets into ST and then suddenly hurts himself significantly enough to miss opening day and, ultimately, the entire first month of the season

what kind of injury is it anyway, and how far along until he's ready to start platooning with uribe at 2B?

This is off of his Yahoo player page. Im pretty sure its his back ribs, not his chest ribs, he was complaining his back hurt when he swung a bat

Injury Note 15-day DL as of Mar 22, 2008 (Stress fracture in rib cage)

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)

He broke his rib. We probably won't be seeing him up at the MLB level until at least the end of this month and knowing Ozzie maybe not until a little before the All-Star break.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 2, 2008 -> 01:19 AM)
good topic, good post. Such a tough decision for me though since i hate Brian anderson. There's just not a lot of room out there. Someones gotta step up, whoever it is.

I think Anderson is a different player from the one you hate now. His whole attitude and mental approach is completely different and more mature than it was in '06 and he doesn't make excuses for the situation he's in. It's hard for me not to root for him.

I'd really like to see Dye switched over to DH against tough lefties, with Thome coming out, or Quentin switched out against lefties (he's not hitting them much this year), and have Anderson start in CF on those days. Also wouldn't mind Swisher switched (that's fun to say) over to 1B to give Paulie rest on occasion. Ideally, I'd like to see Anderson in there 2-3 times a week, and also brought in late in games as a defensive replacement, possibly getting an AB or two.

As long as we're tweaking the roster, I'd also like to see Alexei sent down to AAA for regular playing time, maybe bring up Getz (though his numbers are nothing special right now), and have Getz, Ozuna, and Uribe fight it out for time at 2B, with Uribe and Ozuna able to fill in at SS/3B if necessary.

Jerry Owens can come up in September or if an OF gets hurt.

QUOTE (almagest @ May 2, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
I'd really like to see Dye switched over to DH against tough lefties, with Thome coming out, or Quentin switched out against lefties (he's not hitting them much this year), and have Anderson start in CF on those days. Also wouldn't mind Swisher switched (that's fun to say) over to 1B to give Paulie rest on occasion. Ideally, I'd like to see Anderson in there 2-3 times a week, and also brought in late in games as a defensive replacement, possibly getting an AB or two.

As long as we're tweaking the roster, I'd also like to see Alexei sent down to AAA for regular playing time, maybe bring up Getz (though his numbers are nothing special right now), and have Getz, Ozuna, and Uribe fight it out for time at 2B, with Uribe and Ozuna able to fill in at SS/3B if necessary.

As long as he is in a rhythm and it isn't taking ABs away from Paulie when he's hot, I'm totally comfortable with Anderson playing CF while Swisher plays 1B.

Is Getz left-handed?

QUOTE (almagest @ May 2, 2008 -> 06:57 AM)

As long as Anderson continues to develop, I agree. And if he puts up a halfway decent season while playing 2-3 days a week, either Dye or Thome needs to be moved in the off-season. Quentin should be starting in RF next year and Swisher should be moved to LF. Kudos to JD for his effort (and his arm), but he looks like he's going to kill himself every time he tries to run down a fly ball.

I don't see how Alexi fits into this team, either. The positions that he can play are just way too crowded right now.

Can anybody reference any success stories with this much rotation? benching thome and konerko options with rotating in anderson seems strange. Thome and konerko are premier players who are tough to bench for an organization. Also seems hard for someone to get hot and stay hot with that much rotation. I wanna see everyone play just as much as the next, but I think finding a good lineup and stickin with it is the way to go. Ozzie rotates in enough already.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 2, 2008 -> 09:18 AM)
Is Getz left-handed?

Bats left, throws right.

QUOTE (Hawkfan @ May 2, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
Can anybody reference any success stories with this much rotation? benching thome and konerko options with rotating in anderson seems strange. Thome and konerko are premier players who are tough to bench for an organization. Also seems hard for someone to get hot and stay hot with that much rotation. I wanna see everyone play just as much as the next, but I think finding a good lineup and stickin with it is the way to go. Ozzie rotates in enough already.

I'm not advocating benching Konerko -- I'm advocating giving Konerko a few days off here and there, with Swisher going to 1B, and Anderson in CF. Also, Thome has NEVER hit lefties well -- career .241 .342 .419. He shouldn't be in the lineup against lefties much at all, which would slide Dye or Konerko over to DH, Swisher to 1B or LF, Quentin to RF, and Anderson in CF.

Edited by almagest