"The Reaper is a-coming, kids."

Linnwood

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:42 PM)
I must be the only one who's not excited that Uribe is going to be released. If we had a suitable replacement, that would be fine. However, seeing Ozuna and Ramirez there for another month isn't exactly an upgrade.

I'd take Juan over Pablo any day of the week, and twice on Sundays, but he just isn't cutting it. I really hope we call Getz up, or something along those lines, because I'd really hate to see Ozuna and Ramirez splitting time there.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 5, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
I must be the only one who's not excited that Uribe is going to be released. If we had a suitable replacement, that would be fine. However, seeing Ozuna and Ramirez there for another month isn't exactly an upgrade.

I think Ozuna and others would be better fits to be released than Juan. I hope to god Getz comes up and takes over as the starter. Personally I'm hoping for some bigger names to be moved.

Not that I love Uribe, but a) lots of players are slumping badly, he's not the one hurting the offense, and B) with Richar not available, this isn't the ideal time to chuck him. If it "shakes things up" and helps the team, I'm all for it, though.

Anybody think maybe one of the people to go is Walker? I mean good god....how long can this go on with him having a "get out of jail free" card? Honestly...does moving Uribe solve anything? Isn't it a little much to put so much emphasis on the offensive output of the 9 hitter that plays pretty solid D and has the occassional 2-hit games?

I agree with the previous post about the problem being out 3-4-5. Not exclusively them...but I honestly feel their "serious to a fault" demeanor has a somewhat adverse effect at times. Just canning Uribe isn't going to do a whole lot IMO.

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 6, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
Anybody think maybe one of the people to go is Walker? I mean good god....how long can this go on with him having a "get out of jail free" card? Honestly...does moving Uribe solve anything? Isn't it a little much to put so much emphasis on the offensive output of the 9 hitter that plays pretty solid D and has the occassional 2-hit games?

I agree with the previous post about the problem being out 3-4-5. Not exclusively them...but I honestly feel their "serious to a fault" demeanor has a somewhat adverse effect at times. Just canning Uribe isn't going to do a whole lot IMO.

we can only hope that it's going to be walker, we've got too many good hitters to have the offense performing like this

FIRE WALKER!!! What the hell are you waiting for... this offense is HORRBLE!! How many loses does it take for the organization to realize it. Blame Uribe all you want, but he isn't doing much worse than Konerko, Thome, Cabrera, and Swisher. How the hell are all of those guys hitting .210 or less? Pathetic.

Damn i love our pitching staff, what a waiste.... Nice job at fixing our Offense Kenny! And an even better way to stick behind your hitting coach Ozzie. Your dedication to ur amazing staff is breath taking. I hope we can at least win 73 games this year!!

GO SOX!!

Russell is down,which has been reported,and i think they'll also release Uribe. Not scoring last night may have been the last straw because Ozzie has complained about his mental lapses in the past. Then i wouldn't be surprised if they gave the 2b job to Ramirez to see what he can do while getting regular AB's at the ML level. He'll get his chance to show what he can do at least until Richar is ready.What can it hurt at this point? To take Ramirez's spot in the OF, they call up Owens and he gets his AB's while other guys get days off. Ozzie won't get rid of Ozuna because he's too versatile and there is no one to fill his role right now.Plus, Ozzie seems to love him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:32 AM)
Don't be surprised if Uribe or Ozuna are released, and Bourgeois is brought up. They liked him a lot in ST.

Bourgeois currently batting .222 with a .276 OBP.

And getting the majority (all) of his at-bats playing outfield.

Edited by scenario

fwiw, I was at the charlotte-scranton game last night, sitting directly next to the dugout, and josh fields was no where to be seen all night, either in the dugout or during warmups. I found it kind of strange, then after reading this thread it made me wonder.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)
Bourgeois currently batting .222 with a .276 OBP.

.343 avg, .361 OBP in his last 9 games. And I don't think they are making this decision based on a month of AAA play anyway. They want the guys they liked for a while before.

Owens or Bourgoeis are the likely call-ups, IMO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 6, 2008 -> 07:40 AM)
.343 avg, .361 OBP in his last 9 games. And I don't think they are making this decision based on a month of AAA play anyway. They want the guys they liked for a while before.

Owens or Bourgoeis are the likely call-ups, IMO.

Yeah, he's been hot in the last week. I like Jason. I just don't see him being a starter. If he was called up to replace Ozuna, I could understand that. But I don't think that solves our 2nd base problem.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ May 6, 2008 -> 02:52 AM)
"we can only hope"

speak for yourself, sir.

It is probably time to part ways with Walker. The offense has been bad and wasting good outings by the pitching staff. This is two years in a row where we slumped out of the gate offensively and pretty poorly. We need a new approach, fresh blood to come in to reassess things.

As far as roster moves, there is no one in AAA that is going to make enough impact to warrant cutting someone lose. If there is a move made I hope that it is a trade of some type to bring in a everyday 2B that can lead off.

QUOTE (scenario @ May 5, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
Both the Tigers and Tribe made similar moves today to shake up their teams.

The Tigers DFA'd Jacque Jones and are moving Sheffield to left. They're calling up a AAA outfielder, Matt Joyce, to fill the roster spot.

The Indians are releasing Jason Michaels and called up Ben Franciso from Buffalo.

Both Jones and Michaels are hitting in the same vicinity (.200 or below) as Uribe.

whew, thank god. michaels used to kill us lol. i hope juan is gone :pray all i know is that the sox cant just continue to let this go on. bring up owens, burgois(however u spell it), we have to do something.

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (scenario @ May 6, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
Yeah, he's been hot in the last week. I like Jason. I just don't see him being a starter. If he was called up to replace Ozuna, I could understand that. But I don't think that solves our 2nd base problem.

Let me clarify. I think Ramirez is going to be made the starter, at least until Richar is healthy. Bourgeois will take the Ozuna or Uribe slot on the roster as a utility guy.

I am not saying I agree with all of this, mind you. Just that's what I think might happen.

i don't know the Sox farm system all that great but, other than Richar, is there a legit ML level 2b prospect around. I've seen Getz's named around. Is he a legit,long term alternative? I know the farm system is down right now but it's kind of hard to believe that all the eggs are pretty in the Richar basket.If Uribe wasn't guaranteed 4.5 mill and Richar hurt, i doubt he would've been on the 25 man roster. Ramirez is a project at 2B since he'd being converted. You would think there would have to be a minor league alternative. I mean, what minor leaguer can't hit .160? Why not try someone to give the team a spark. Ramirez will likely get his shot but who knows if he'll be any better than Uribe. If he's not, then who's next(assuming Richar is still out for awhile) ?

Why bring up Owens and Fields, where would they play? Anderson rotting on the bench while he looks to be getting it together is just plain sad. If Swisher is not batting lead-off he should get a day or two off as should Konerko, Dye and Thome.

I think Uribe stays because of $$ and he can play SS.

Ozuna needs to just go away.

I hope KW is doing something big. Releasing Uribe or Ozuna is not the answer.

Edited by Jenks Heat