Orlando Cabrera Calls Press Box to Complain During Game

QUOTE (StatManDu @ May 26, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
I was on the "inside" that night. ... Here's what I saw

==runner breaks for 2nd

==sailing throw beats runner but glances off a leaping Cabrera's glove into center

==error charged to Cabrera

==after the game, official scorer changes call to error on catcher ... later changes call to a steal because the runner was breaking for second

I know that scorer -- Bob Rosenberg -- well. While he does take a lot of ribbing from scribes and broadcasters alike, all he cares about is getting the call right. I also know from firsthand experience he could give a crap about a call from the dugout.

I agree, but Cabrera should have been charged with an error. Hawk and DJ who give every White Sox the benefit of the doubt, said he took his eye off the ball. He's looking at the scoreboard right after the play and can't believe he's charged with an error. Its not Cabrera's or any other player's place to call Rosenberg, who I believe also is the official scorer at most Cubs games, and I believe he also does the Bulls. The option to give him a call shouldn't even be available. If Cabrera wants to b**** and moan about an official scorer's decision, that's fine, b**** to the media so everyone knows the whiney punk you really are, and what you really only care about, Orlando Cabrera. Just don't do it in the middle of the game. If changing that call from an error to a stolen base helps Cabrera win a GG, at least one person will rightly be credited with a steal.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he have a C on his jersey? Who has dubbed him "leader"? What makes trying to get an error changed "selfish". You people read too much into frivilous s***. Get over it.

KW and Ozzie.

Orlando Clayton can go f*** himself. He's hasn't been that smart on the basepaths. His offensive line is terrible and his situational hitting like hitting behind the runner has been non-existent. His defense is overrated and has had some blunders that were parts to big innings.

He came with a type "A" free agent status, but that's in jeopardy with his pathetic offensive numbers. The Sox still have to run the risk of offering him arbitration promising him at least $7.2 million and then he has to reject it. Who is going to offer him a big deal if continues to play like this? Why should the Sox run a multi-million dollar risk with this asshole? The Sox wouldn't bother to offer arbitation to type "A" free agent David Riske when they need bullpen help and he was only making $1.8 million. He turned in a solid year with the Royals as well.

Trade Cabrera.

KW and Ozzie.

Orlando Clayton can go f*** himself. He's hasn't been that smart on the basepaths. His offensive line is terrible and his situational hitting like hitting behind the runner has been non-existent. His defense is overrated and has had some blunders that were parts to big innings.

He came with a type "A" free agent status, but that's in jeopardy with his pathetic offensive numbers. The Sox still have to run the risk of offering him arbitration promising him at least $7.2 million and then he has to reject it. Who is going to offer him a big deal if continues to play like this? Why should the Sox run a multi-million dollar risk with this asshole? The Sox wouldn't bother to offer arbitation to type "A" free agent David Riske when they need bullpen help and he was only making $1.8 million. He turned in a solid year with the Royals as well.

Trade Cabrera.

Here is my take on this.

Yes, it is selfish if he's calling Rosenberg in the press box during games. Knowing Bob, Cabrera wouldn't get too far with the argument anyways.

As for trading him ... my thought is this ... he has been sub par thus far and I think he will only get better for the rest of the year. This guy is not a .220 hitter. The trade market is dead right now so it doesn't make much sense calling for trades as teams will stick with what they've got for a few weeks more at minimum.

Not to mention the team hasn't been playing great but they're in first place. Lots of guys underachieving but still in first place, I think they should wait a bit on personnel moves with the exception of fixing the 2B hole if the right guy is available.

Oh by the way, long live Schallers Pump. Oldest saloon in Chicago and one of the best.

I work for a AA team and the players b**** ALL the time to the press box. It does make a little more sense though because one play can be the diffrence in moving up. Still, it pisses the scorer off a lot. Most of the time though the manager will call us and tell us a player will be calling, but its always after the game.

I don't see anything wrong with what OC did. We have baseball broadcasters, owners, GM's and managers making their cases to official scorers so what's the issue with Cabrera? Plus if the throw goes high and off the glove of a jumping infielder the error should be on the one who thjre the ball. And if the runner was going to beat it anyway, but doesn't go to thirdbas on the throw then it is a SB. I think Mr Rosenberg may well have gotten it right after some thought. I see no reason to be calling OC all kinds of trash names. Interesting to see how many posts call for OCto get traded over this and/or not signed to an extension. The guy is a darn good fielder and brings some energy to the team.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 26, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Here is my take on this.

Yes, it is selfish if he's calling Rosenberg in the press box during games. Knowing Bob, Cabrera wouldn't get too far with the argument anyways.

As for trading him ... my thought is this ... he has been sub par thus far and I think he will only get better for the rest of the year. This guy is not a .220 hitter. The trade market is dead right now so it doesn't make much sense calling for trades as teams will stick with what they've got for a few weeks more at minimum.

Not to mention the team hasn't been playing great but they're in first place. Lots of guys underachieving but still in first place, I think they should wait a bit on personnel moves with the exception of fixing the 2B hole if the right guy is available.

Oh by the way, long live Schallers Pump. Oldest saloon in Chicago and one of the best.

Trading him right now would be a bad idea, as like you said, his value is so low right now. If anything, hopefully he can stay a Type A FA. He'd fit in perfectly with the Giants next season.

I just don't see why anyone even cares. So he called the press box....it's not like he is some rookie or something. He knows how to play the game, he knows how to stay focused. By now, he can play the game in his sleep. What does it matter if he called the press box?

For all we know, he has a $50k bet or something with another player...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 26, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
I just don't see why anyone even cares. So he called the press box....it's not like he is some rookie or something. He knows how to play the game, he knows how to stay focused. By now, he can play the game in his sleep. What does it matter if he called the press box?

For all we know, he has a $50k bet or something with another player...

Good point

I could give a flying s***. He's a good baseball player and he's going to be a big part of what the Sox do this year. He's also looking freaking stellar as of late. Produce like you have and you can call the press box, fans or whomever the hell else all night long for all I care.

The way I look at it is that OC takes a lot of pride in his defense and wants his statistics to reflect his ability, and if he felt that the error was not his fault, then he did all he could to rectify the situation. It is competitiveness and the desire to win, something that the Sox really seemed to be missing in the second half of last season.

Didn't see anyone posts on this, but Ozzie responded:

Orlando Cabrera Will be a Free Agent

TCSN

That’s why he would do something like this. And why Guillen has every right to react like this, telling the Sun-Times Joe Cowley…

If things continue to happen, I’m not going to say we’re going to have a problem, but I don’t think it looks good to his teammates for him to worry about his numbers, especially the way we’re playing. I know I never did that. That’s something the manager or coach should do. I’m not going to say don’t call up to the box, but it looks kind of bad. When I played, we didn’t worry about that. That was for someone else to look at and handle. But the bottom line in all this is whether we win or lose. Obviously, a good player, a Gold Glove winner, you want to have a good season for the free agency, and different guys respond to that stuff differently.

I don’t worry about me. I just worry about my players and how things are in the clubhouse. I worry about what his teammates think about it and what the people think about him. You know now that it’s been written about, people are going to start talking about it, and I don’t think that’s good for him. He’s heading to a place that won’t be good. He’ll have a tough time in Chicago to deal with the media and the fans and his teammates, and he had better be careful about that. He’s a grown man, he’s a big-time player. I don’t have to say anything to him. But he better be careful about what his teammates are going to think.”

Errors look bad, especially when tied to a gold glover heading to free agency, which is why Cabrera would make some phone calls to the press box. A perceived poor glove and weakening bat won’t get you much on the open market (actually, it still will, just not a REALLY lot of money. Some teams are stupid like that.)

Cabrera being charged with errors on non-routine plays sucks for him. Then again, shouldn’t a gold glove shortshop have high expectations of himself? Nothing is too hard of a play in the minds of the very best. If Cabrera is the very best, which is what his gold glove suggests, then he should be more upset with himself for missing it than the scorekeeper calling it as he sees it. Even so, those things tend to even themselves out. Cabrera’s glove has been far from gold glovish this season … unjust error calls simply make up for the unjust non-calls.

If Cabrera is really making these calls … well, his status as a gold glover will be the least of his image problems. Team player? In question.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
Didn't see anyone posts on this, but Ozzie responded:

Orlando Cabrera Will be a Free Agent

TCSN

Errors look bad, especially when tied to a gold glover heading to free agency, which is why Cabrera would make some phone calls to the press box. A perceived poor glove and weakening bat won’t get you much on the open market (actually, it still will, just not a REALLY lot of money. Some teams are stupid like that.)

Cabrera being charged with errors on non-routine plays sucks for him. Then again, shouldn’t a gold glove shortshop have high expectations of himself? Nothing is too hard of a play in the minds of the very best. If Cabrera is the very best, which is what his gold glove suggests, then he should be more upset with himself for missing it than the scorekeeper calling it as he sees it. Even so, those things tend to even themselves out. Cabrera’s glove has been far from gold glovish this season … unjust error calls simply make up for the unjust non-calls.

If Cabrera is really making these calls … well, his status as a gold glover will be the least of his image problems. Team player? In question.

Good way to sum it up, and a good move by Ozzie. This kind of s*** pisses me off, it does nothing but create problems. It certainly does nothing to help the team. I'm glad Ozzie sent him a message, and did it in exactly that way - a strong but not overwhelming hint. Hopefully that takes, because OC is finally starting to look decent on the field. If continues this immature B.S., I'll be among the first to start booing him.

Cabrera’s glove has been far from gold glovish this season … unjust error calls simply make up for the unjust non-calls.

Winner

Cabrera's gotten away with at least 4 errors already this season, he needs to be happy.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 27, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Looks like Ozzie isn't happy with OC either judging by todays news stories. Plus the Sun_times is saying any long term deal with OC is off the table. No talks and he is out of Chicago at the end of the season. Hum!

Now he needs to hit well to preserve the Class A free Agent rankings so we can pick up our picks.

I think it's a bit rash to hear today from several sources that Cabrera is a rent-a-player. We havent played half a year yet.

The Sox are kings of waiting for a guy to have a decent or so-so year and then pouncing with a 2 year deal. And because of the guy's own lowered expectations and age, he takes it. Vazquez being case in point.

Reminds me of this from MadTV a few yrs back:

LoweredExpectations.jpg

Edited by Princess Dye