Dunkin Donuts - Ad is Too Arab-ish

HuskyCaucasian

Dunkin Donuts Pulls Ad Featuring Rachael Ray In A Scarf That Looks Too Arab

Dunkin Donuts has pulled a commercial featuring pitchwoman Rachael Ray wearing a scarf because Michelle Malkin and other conservative observers thought the scarf looked too much like a keffiyeh, what Malkin describes as "the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad."

original.jpg

The Boston Globe reports that Dunkin Donuts caved to pressure from the conservative blogosphere — and the fear of a mass boycott — and removed the ad:

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see if the conservative PC = BAD crowd shows up to protest this one. I doubt it. In this case, I'm guessing those same conservatives will all be just fine with this specific use of political correctness.

And so the f*** what if it was a kefiyah. I mean really.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 28, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
Things I need to ban:

- Google (check)

- Dunkin' Donuts (check)

:P

I have a policy, if I go to a restaurant and the person behind the counter doesn't speak English, i never go back. When I used to got to school downtown I would occasionally stop at Dunkin' for breakfast. one day i walked in the woman behind the counter had NO idea how to understand english. i never went back.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
I have a policy, if I go to a restaurant and the person behind the counter doesn't speak English, i never go back. When I used to got to school downtown I would occasionally stop at Dunkin' for breakfast. one day i walked in the woman behind the counter had NO idea how to understand english. i never went back.

Not sure if you are serious or not.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)

In Downtown Chicago, that is one hell of a diet plan.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 28, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
Not sure if you are serious or not.

totally serious. I have serious issues with customer service people who cant speak the common language.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 28, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)

You would have a very limited choice here. But I have a similar plan. If I go to a restaurant and have a good meal and enjoy the place, I go back. If I have a bad time, I don't go back.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
I am a conservative, and this is just as silly as the google argument. In the US we call that particular piece of clothing a scarf. In the winter, I take one of those, and I use it to keep my neck warm.

It's just a scarf, the clueless keffiyeh-wearers scoff. Would they say the same of fashion designers who marketed modified Klan-style hoods in Burberry plaid as the next big thing?
LIke all things in the middle east, they have meaning, to someone. Palastinians have associated this scarf with martyrdom and other acts of violence. So, in this twisted world we live in, if allowing a religious group to hold a meeting in a school gym is 'endorsing religion', can't wearing of this scarf be seen as 'endorsing jihad'? I think both observations are overboard, but if one is ok, why not the other?

On a different note, I am suprised that Huffpo linked Townhall. Must have slipped past the censors.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
LIke all things in the middle east, they have meaning, to someone. Palastinians have associated this scarf with martyrdom and other acts of violence. So, in this twisted world we live in, if allowing a religious group to hold a meeting in a school gym is 'endorsing religion', can't wearing of this scarf be seen as 'endorsing jihad'? I think both observations are overboard, but if one is ok, why not the other?

On a different note, I am suprised that Huffpo linked Townhall. Must have slipped past the censors.

The big difference is that one is being done in a public facility, the other in the private sector. Dunkin Donuts can "endorse" anything they want. If they really wanted they could have Rachel Ray wear a set of Klan robes and a Nazi cross. They are free to do what they please.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 28, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Alpha, it's a scarf. I have one myself, and I bought overseas to boot. It's traditional Arab garb, nothing more.

Symbol of Palestinian solidarity?

Increased sympathy and activism by certain Westerners toward Palestinians in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict in the years of the Oslo Peace Accords and Second Intifada have led to the wearing of keffiyehs as a sign of their solidarity with Palestine and the Palestinian people. For example, the slang "keffiyeh kinderlach" refers to young left-wing Jews, particularly college students, who sport a keffiyeh around the neck as a political/fashion statement. This term may have first appeared in print in an article by Bradley Burston in which he writes of "the suburban-exile kaffiyeh kinderlach of Berkeley, more Palestinian by far than the Palestinians" in their criticism of Israel.

While Western protesters wear differing styles and shades of keffiyeh, the most prominent is the black-and-white keffiyeh. This is typically worn around the neck like a neckerchief, simply knotted in the front with the fabric allowed to drape over the back. Other popular styles include rectangular-shaped scarves with the basic black-and-white pattern in the body, with the ends knitted in the form of the Palestinian flag. Since the Al-Aqsa Intifada, these rectangular scarves have increasingly appeared with a combination of the Palestinian flag and Al-Aqsa Mosque printed on the ends of the fabric.

It's still a scarf.

Hundreds of millions of people wear the same thing (albeit not necessarily black and white) who are NOT doing it as a symbol of solidarity. They do it because they want to wear scarves and have done so for decades.

Edited by lostfan

If you find it offensive and terrorist supporting that they ran this ad, then don't go to Dunkin' Donuts. If you find it offensive that they caved in to pressure over an issue that you find stupid, then don't go to Dunkin' Donuts. I know I won't be.

(That's because I don't like donuts and there's not one near me that I know of, not because I care about this).

Other popular styles include rectangular-shaped scarves with the basic black-and-white pattern in the body, with the ends knitted in the form of the Palestinian flag. Since the Al-Aqsa Intifada, these rectangular scarves have increasingly appeared with a combination of the Palestinian flag and Al-Aqsa Mosque printed on the ends of the fabric.

I own a black-and-white patterned scarf. I wear it to stay warm. I also have a hat made of rabbit fur in Russia. Does that make a supporter of Lenin, Stalin, or Putin? I like to think it makes me warmer than most people.

If you can show me the Palestinian flag on Rachael Ray's scarf, then I'll agree that this is an egregious show of support from Dunkin' Donuts to the Palestinian cause. Otherwise, I'll just figure that she was wearing a scarf, and Malkin is full of crap, as usual.