Changes coming by Tuesday?

Big Hurtin

I was under the impression that KW only contacted Rowand's agent right after Hunter signed with the Angels, and then there was no communication between either party the rest of the offseason.

Not according to Rowand. He was on Chicago radio a few months back and said they talked about a 4 year deal but Rowand and his agent wanted five. That was the sticking point. Sox wanted Rowand but on their terms. Whether that turns out to be right or wrong is another conversation.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
That's misstated. It's not that they didn't want him, they didn't want to give him 5 years. They offered 4 and wouldn't budge.

thats true and I heard rowand on an interview state that they couldn't agree on the years. i wouldn't give rowand 5 years either but i would say he would be a great addition. it doesn't matter anyway, he isn't here. who cares.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Sox wanted Rowand but on their terms. Whether that turns out to be right or wrong is another conversation.

if you know all you're willing to do is underpay, then you're not REALLY wanting him. if sox wanted Rowand enough, he'd be here. it's all semantics though.

i'm kind of glad they didnt sign him. we have the potential for something brighter here, even if not everything gets in place by the end of this yr.

we're suddenly not all that aging, so the moves we do from here on out should reflect that.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Does anyone really think this team can win if Thome and PK struggle all season?

I dont know that we know enough about the supporting cast yet. Sample sizes are so small on guys like Carlos and Alexei, we really wont know everything about this team for a while yet.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
Meanwhile Ned Coletti out in LA is telling reporters he might be close to trading for a veteran infielder who can fill in for Furcal. Let the Uribe speculation begin anew.

prospect with arms and feet, please

but kw is the type to NOT want to do this now simply b/c Guillen said what he said

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
Meanwhile Ned Coletti out in LA is telling reporters he might be close to trading for a veteran infielder who can fill in for Furcal. Let the Uribe speculation begin anew.

I would love to get Kemp in return for Uribe.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
no.. isn't that the point fo this thread

I see so many people suggesting that calling up Getz or releasing Uribe is the way to go. Unless our two "main" players get it going, I can't see this team making the playoffs. I don't think KW or Ozzie will stop playing those two guys.

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
stop it , it would take cabrera not uribe.

I was just mocking people....there's no way we have enough in our system to get Kemp. I'm sure it would take very little for the Dodgers to acquire Uribe.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
Hm. What's never explored is trading what we have tons of. Pitching.

Please explain how we have ton of pitching? We have very little minor league starting pitching depth in case someone gets hurt. You have Broadway, and then ?

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)

Or Cabrera. Uribe hasn't played in 3 weeks, it would be ironic if he is the guy who takes the fall for bad offense in a series he didn't take the field.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
I see so many people suggesting that calling up Getz or releasing Uribe is the way to go. Unless our two "main" players get it going, I can't see this team making the playoffs. I don't think KW or Ozzie will stop playing those two guys.

My problem with releasing Uribe is that he's still set to be a Type B FA after this season. Why not just keep him on as a bench player seeing limited playing time, and pick up another draft pick next year?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Please explain how we have ton of pitching? We have very little minor league starting pitching depth in case someone gets hurt. You have Broadway, and then ?

I'm not talking about acquiring a savior. Trade a starter for an OBP guy. Solidify the top of the order.

Get someone who can hit in situations. Before magma erupts out of my brain.

I think teams would want Floyd, I'd be interested to see how much. Between him and Danks there's no question who I'd rather let go of.

I wouldnt be opposed to trading one of the setup guys for a hitter, if that kind of weird deal were somehow made possible.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
I'm not talking about acquiring a savior. Trade a starter for an OBP guy. Solidify the top of the order.

Get someone who can hit in situations. Before magma erupts out of my brain.

I think teams would want Floyd, I'd be interested to see how much. Between him and Danks there's no question who I'd rather let go of.

I wouldnt be opposed to trading one of the setup guys for a hitter, if that kind of weird deal were somehow made possible.

Why on earth would you want to let go of any of the starters except MB? Don't fix something that isn't broken...the pitching isn't broken, the offense is. Trade a vet slugger or package of minor leaguers for at least some half-way decent.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
Why on earth would you want to let go of any of the starters except MB? Don't fix something that isn't broken...the pitching isn't broken, the offense is. Trade a vet slugger or package of minor leaguers for at least some half-way decent.

You wouldnt move Contreras for the right piece? He keeps going like this, he'll have some serious value at deadline.

And the youth movement would remain intact. And the guy leaving is turning 50 soon.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
You wouldnt move Contreras for the right piece? He keeps going like this, he'll have some serious value at deadline.

And the youth movement would remain intact. And the guy leaving is turning 50 soon.

No I wouldn't trade Contreras. He's the best and most consistent starter we've had this season. He's got huge value right now, sure, but why would you trade our top starter right now, seeing as we're still in 1st?

Trading any pitching from the major league roster this season is a mistake of epic proportions. The pitching has been phenomenal, pretty much all the way through the staff. Its the reason this team is in first. If you trade some of that away to get one more hitter who may or may not do well, you're tanking the season. No thanks.

My problem with the whole thing is Kenny took the puss way out. He should have just kept his mouth shut and talked to Ozzie in private. Instead he shoots and email out.....WEAK! Nothing wrong with what Ozzie said...it's the truth. I seriously doubt any trades occur...but I would sit some of these underperforming puds.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I would love to get Kemp in return for Uribe.

No way, no how.

It was interesting to hear, however, Steve Stone speculating this morning on the radio about possibly moving Orlando Cabrera. He said he had no inside knowledge, and didn't meantion what he would be looking for in return, but did say a Cabrera trade would allow the WSox to move Ramirez to his natural SS position, and then play Uribe for his defense.