Changes coming by Tuesday?

Big Hurtin

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
From the Sun-Times:

Williams was at home when informed of Guillen's comments, and made it clear he wasn't happy about them.

''Very interesting, very disappointing,'' Williams said. ''It's never a good idea to throw your boss under the bus, especially when that boss has had his back as much as I have. I guess that lineup will be real interesting to see on Tuesday.

''We have the horses. Everyone has to stay positive and keep grinding. If you're looking for a quick fix personnel-wise, with the climate right now, you're not going to get it. I expect more of everyone in that uniform and certainly the guy leading the team on the field.''

As for potential changes, Guillen is in charge of hiring and firing his coaching staff, a power granted by Williams after the 2005 season. So if Walker is sent packing, it will be Guillen's call.

So he wasn't talking about Walker, because firing him is Ozzie's call not KW's.

Paraphrased: I put together this mess but it's Ozzie's job to fix it while I sit here with a thumb up my ass. Thank you.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
Are you being serious? because those got me real excited for the rest of the year.

Yes, I'm serious. What does Ozzie expect KW to do personnel wise? We used some very valuable resources to acquire OC and Swisher this offseason. After 2 months in the season, does Ozzie expect teams to just be selling off their players for 50 cents on the dollar?

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 10:04 PM)
Paraphrased: I put together this mess but it's Ozzie's job to fix it while I sit here with a thumb up my ass. Thank you.

KW gave him CQ, but Ozzie decided not to use him in two different big spots today.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
Yes, I'm serious. What does Ozzie expect KW to do personnel wise? We used some very valuable resources to acquire OC and Swisher this offseason. After 2 months in the season, does Ozzie expect teams to just be selling off their players for 50 cents on the dollar?

Well, KW only has $.50...........................

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Paraphrased: I put together this mess

Did your crystal ball predict that PK, JT, and Swish would all be hitting around the Mendoza Line in June?

KW definitely has his shortcomings, but it's pretty silly to characterize a first-place team with arguably the best pitching staff in the league as a "mess."

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)

So who's the idiot who traded for Swisher and OC?

I don't really get your attitude. As part of your strange anti-Ozzie crusade, you seem more happy that Ozzie has some harsh comments thrown his way than to hear the Sox might actually do something to improve thier s***ty hitting. I guess whatever floats your boat.

Those comments are pretty much KW deflecting blame for getting a couple duds and letting his roster get old. Oh well. I guess it's Ozzie's fault.

As for potential changes, Guillen is in charge of hiring and firing his coaching staff, a power granted by Williams after the 2005 season. So if Walker is sent packing, it will be Guillen's call.

So he wasn't talking about Walker, because firing him is Ozzie's call not KW's.

Ozzie has always been squeamish about letting guys go. Whenever he had to cut a player he always wanted KW or someone else to let the guy know because he said he hates that part of his job.

Maybe Ozzie was trying to get KW to do his dirty work for him with Walker and KW is throwing it right back into Ozzie's court--"Ozzie, if you want Walker gone, be a man and do it yourself. You used your authority to hire any coaches you wanted, now be a man and use your authority to fire one if that's your choice. I expect more out of you than to rely on me to do your dirty work."

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)

I don't really get your attitude. As part of your strange anti-Ozzie crusade, you seem more happy that Ozzie has some harsh comments thrown his way than to hear the Sox might actually do something to improve thier s***ty hitting. I guess whatever floats your boat.

Those comments are pretty much KW deflecting blame for getting a couple duds and letting his roster get old. Oh well. I guess it's Ozzie's fault.

I'm just sick of hearing lame threats by Ozzie when nothing ever changes. KW and him need to get on the same page immediately.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Those comments are pretty much KW deflecting blame for getting a couple duds and letting his roster get old.

Which "duds" are those? I'd much rather have Cabrera than Uribe at SS. And I'll bet that A's fans would love to send DLS back. I would think that obtaining Quentin for a prospect would help make up for Swisher's early struggles at the plate, but perhaps I'm giving Soxtalk too much credit.

Kenny had an overwhelmingly good offseason this past Winter/Spring. Agreed that their roster is getting old, but some of those geriatric players are having pretty decent seasons (AJ, Dye, Crede) and nobody could've predicted an injury to PK. Outside of Thome's decline, it's pretty silly to pin that on the GM.

Here is a quote that infuriated me:

''It's a little bit of everything: good pitching, bad decisions being made,'' Konerko said off the offensive woes. ''What you have to realize is [the Rays] blew a lot of opportunities as well. Again, everybody is giving everything they have. You can reevaluate it how you want, but the effort is there.

If he means guys are trying to swing as hard as they possibly can to hit the ball in the left field seats, then he would be correct. But that is not effort. Those are s***ty, selfish at bats from a bunch of dumb hitters.

I feel somewhat like Ozzie does although I think they would do well against KC and back at home. Saying that though, this team is slow, old and and needs a spark. they need a new face, maybe a new coach but they do need to send this team a message. maybe Ozzie plays ozuna, andersen, rameriz, uribe, and toby hall for a game. It really doesn't matter who plays anymore. They all pretty much suck as a group right now, but I do understand that Ozzie is trying to shake this thing up. Saying what he said brins attention to the subject. Get a player who is fast and can lead off. I know I have harped this on other threads, but ryan freel is available and covers both spots. I know there might be others out there as well, but this team needs a shot in the arm and needs it fast. DL Konerko, its truly getting embarrassing. The guy is either hurt or lost it, eitherway he is no longer a threat in the lineup. He's done at least for now.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
Which "duds" are those? I'd much rather have Cabrera than Uribe at SS. And I'll bet that A's fans would love to send DLS back. I would think that obtaining Quentin for a prospect would help make up for Swisher's early struggles at the plate, but perhaps I'm giving Soxtalk too much credit.

Kenny had an overwhelmingly good offseason this past Winter/Spring. Agreed that their roster is getting old, but some of those geriatric players are having pretty decent seasons (AJ, Dye, Crede) and nobody could've predicted an injury to PK. Outside of Thome's decline, it's pretty silly to pin that on the GM.

Kenny wasted his best bargaining chips (Garland and our 3 top prospects) on two players who have sucked. He got Quentin and fixed the bullpen (by paying a steep price) which were great moves. I don't think that constitutes an overall great offseason.

Just because our prospects have sucked for Oakland doesn't make the Swisher acquisition any better. If you pay someone a $100 for a s***ty product (although one which you thought was good at the time of purchase), does knowing that the person later lost that $100 make you more at ease about blowing the money in the first place? I don't think it would.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)

I've always wanted to see how the "ignore" feature works.

Thanks for giving me a reason to try it.

Edited by scenario

I'll believe it when I see it. I've heard Uribe was gone twice and nothing happened, most noteably. He said the same s*** after the Blue Jays series too. Now we may change the lineup again, but the reason it worked so well last time was Quentin has been great and A.J. got hot. Another change is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic right now, and I doubt we'll see actual roster changes with this veteran group. Glad to see Ozzie is pissed off at least. He should be.

Couldn't have said it better. Nicely stated.

Maybe there will be a surprise transaction but I think this is a motivational ploy. These guys are too comfortable and something needs to get done. Konerko's AB in the 9th wasn't good, if Ozuna wasn't doing some heads up baserunning he wouldn't have even made 3rd. Crede didn't get it done and Swisher is dazed and confused at the moment.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
Nothing is going to happen.

Yeah. Oz is complaining for KW to do something, KW is saying Oz has to do something, the players won't do anything, etc. Same old.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
Couldn't have said it better. Nicely stated.

Maybe there will be a surprise transaction but I think this is a motivational ploy. These guys are too comfortable and something needs to get done. Konerko's AB in the 9th wasn't good, if Ozuna wasn't doing some heads up baserunning he wouldn't have even made 3rd. Crede didn't get it done and Swisher is dazed and confused at the moment.

I just hope they play relaxed and have fun this homestand. The offense has been as bad as you can imagine, and they're still in first place in June.

I grow tired of KW not taking any responsibility for things that do not work on his watch!

I understand what you're saying ... but the two (Guillen and Williams) are not on the same page at the moment. Guillen wants changes, Williams is preaching patience. Williams apparently does not feel changes are necessary and/or he knows there's nothing available.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
I just hope they play relaxed and have fun this homestand. The offense has been as bad as you can imagine, and they're still in first place in June.

Yes they are in first place, and they hit the ball today, the disturbing part is our best players have sucked this year with RISP. They are the leaders and quite frankly a simple fly ball could have won the game for us today. The guys who inject life in this team are the simple guys and the young unproven guys not the guys who are the team leaders. This is the disturbing part and its been like this going back to last year. They need some kind of change, and now Ozzie stuck his foot in his mouth so something will happen on tuesday. may not be a trade but some shakeout will happen.

It is very good they have a day off tomorrow. I was waiting for the Guillen explosion, sure enough it happened.

At the moment, the only possible move I see is Konerko to the DL. I am not sure the trade market is open at this point.