Changes coming by Tuesday?

Big Hurtin

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
It is very good they have a day off tomorrow. I was waiting for the Guillen explosion, sure enough it happened.

At the moment, the only possible move I see is Konerko to the DL. I am not sure the trade market is open at this point.

Barry Bonds would look good on this team! I have a hard time seeing where we can make upgrades right now.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
I just hope they play relaxed and have fun this homestand. The offense has been as bad as you can imagine, and they're still in first place in June.

By one game. I'm not convinced of anything. A bad month and we could easily be in third place.

If we can't maintain a first place lead with 17 of 26 games at home (8 of which are against divisional rivals), it's probably a good indication we're not going anywhere.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 05:16 PM)
I understand what you're saying ... but the two (Guillen and Williams) are not on the same page at the moment. Guillen wants changes, Williams is preaching patience. Williams apparently does not feel changes are necessary and/or he knows there's nothing available.

actually the guys that suck on this team are not really tradable. First konerko, has to approve a trade and he is injured. Who would want that? next Thome is old, strikes out alot and makes too much money. Plus he would need to stay a DH so who wants him? Next Dye, he is getting old, has some value, but again very few teams would want him, although he would be the best person now to trade. Then there is crede, his contract ending, his throwing errors and his agent do not make for a great return. Then uribe, well who cares about him anyway. Swisher, will not be traded, he is under contract entering his prime years and is affordable. He is the only guy I would preach patience too. So who else do you trade? Our minors suck, and the people running it, were cheaters and fired. We have nothing, that is why KW is preaching patience because that guy is not a patient man, he just does not have a damn choice. He is boxed in.

I'm all for getting Matt Holliday but it would take a ton to snatch him away from the rocks, something like fields, danks, broadway to start off I'd guess. Anyways I have a crazy idea what do u guys say to dumping thome and signing bonds? I am one of the biggest bonds haters there is and have been steadfast with my approach that if the sox ever signed him I would no longer be a white sox fan. however, I think that if ozzie and kw can get through to him that this team isn't all about you and if you become a distraction your gone. I would be able to live with bonds in a sox uniform for a couple months in an incentive laden deal if he could help the team. him clogging up the bases with intentional walks would be worth it in and of itself. what do u guys say? btw ozzie should have pinch hit quentin for crede

QUOTE (whitesox32 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)
I'm all for getting Matt Holliday but it would take a ton to snatch him away from the rocks, something like fields, danks, broadway to start off I'd guess. Anyways I have a crazy idea what do u guys say to dumping thome and signing bonds? I am one of the biggest bonds haters there is and have been steadfast with my approach that if the sox ever signed him I would no longer be a white sox fan. however, I think that if ozzie and kw can get through to him that this team isn't all about you and if you become a distraction your gone. I would be able to live with bonds in a sox uniform for a couple months in an incentive laden deal if he could help the team. him clogging up the bases with intentional walks would be worth it in and of itself. what do u guys say? btw ozzie should have pinch hit quentin for crede

They'd never go after Bonds, especially after the latest charges last month. And he should have ph CQ for Anderson or Swisher.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)
How did he "stick his foot in his mouth?"

he said a change needed to be made, if not by Williams, then by himself. I would think everyone would agree, and would welcome a change on Tuesday. Thats what we are going to get.

How did he stick his foot in his mouth?

i am saying now he will need to make a change, he said tuesday, so its up to him to do something by his own deadline. A better choice might have been " I will talk to Kenny tonight and discuss changes that could be made in the near future because I am sick and tired of waiting" "Something will need to get done soon" Much better than calling KW out and giving a date. Thats what I mean by sticking his foot in his mouth.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
They'd never go after Bonds, especially after the latest charges last month. And he should have ph CQ for Anderson or Swisher.

That's what makes no sense about his outrage. Wasn't it not too long ago he was ripping Sox fans for ripping on his team. Now he sits the only player hitting much, has a couple opportunities to use him to hit in big situations but feels that the extra rest is more important and his team fails to score. Taking Quentin out of the line-up then b****ing about the offense is curious at best. But I do like the fire. I wonder how KW having to can his best buddy, Wilder, has had an effect, if any on his relationship with Ozzie. They aren't seeing things the same way. It isn't like KW to preach patience, but he knows he has no other choice. BTW, Getz is the only Charlotte Knight with an OBP over .333.

Edited by Dick Allen

actually the guys that suck on this team are not really tradable. First konerko, has to approve a trade and he is injured. Who would want that? next Thome is old, strikes out alot and makes too much money. Plus he would need to stay a DH so who wants him? Next Dye, he is getting old, has some value, but again very few teams would want him, although he would be the best person now to trade. Then there is crede, his contract ending, his throwing errors and his agent do not make for a great return. Then uribe, well who cares about him anyway. Swisher, will not be traded, he is under contract entering his prime years and is affordable. He is the only guy I would preach patience too. So who else do you trade? Our minors suck, and the people running it, were cheaters and fired. We have nothing, that is why KW is preaching patience because that guy is not a patient man, he just does not have a damn choice. He is boxed in.

Of course he is boxed in. If he could have pulled a deal today, he would have. He just better hope the team stays in 1st or at the very least afloat until a trade opportunity opens up. The guys who are struggling may turn it around somewhat but this offense as constructed will be prone to long dry spells.

In the meantime the only weapon Guillen has is benching guys or firing Walker. Therefore it is likely he will bench 1-2 guys. Tuesday I see Crede on the bench for Ozuna and Konerko on the bench although Swisher is just as bad.

The only name that's out there for the taking is Lofton but obviously been there, done that.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
I'll make a prediction...we'll see Jerry Owens leading off on Tuesday (assuming he missed today's game for no particular reason).

He's missed 2 in a row now, but he was 7-16 prior. He's slugging a whopping .295. Speaking of Prior, Mark is having some more shoulder surgery.

I would seriously consider trading Buehrle. A National League might be willing to take a shot on him seeing as he might still be good against teams who haven't seen him. A Buehrle + Getz could net your a very good major league ready prospect. Something to consider. I think Broadway would be better than Buehrle and nothing leads me to believe that Buehrle is gonna be his sub 4.00 ERA again--in the AL at least.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
I would seriously consider trading Buehrle. A National League might be willing to take a shot on him seeing as he might still be good against teams who haven't seen him. A Buehrle + Getz could net your a very good major league ready prospect. Something to consider. I think Broadway would be better than Buehrle and nothing leads me to believe that Buehrle is gonna be his sub 4.00 ERA again--in the AL at least.

I totally agree with you, just hoping there are some teams that will bite.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
I totally agree with you, just hoping there are some teams that will bite.

Well if you think you can win the division without him then trade him, i still say he is a leader for the team and will turn things around as the year goes on. We have an opportunity to stay in this thing longer because the Tigers and Indians are playing worse than we are right now. Trading away your best pitcher in the last several years is a good idea only if you think Broadway has the NADS to help us get in the playoffs now which i personally do not think he has.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
Of course he is boxed in. If he could have pulled a deal today, he would have. He just better hope the team stays in 1st or at the very least afloat until a trade opportunity opens up. The guys who are struggling may turn it around somewhat but this offense as constructed will be prone to long dry spells.

In the meantime the only weapon Guillen has is benching guys or firing Walker. Therefore it is likely he will bench 1-2 guys. Tuesday I see Crede on the bench for Ozuna and Konerko on the bench although Swisher is just as bad.

The only name that's out there for the taking is Lofton but obviously been there, done that.

popular, personally, I think they should bench guys and fire walker. i am not one of those who blames this on a hitting coach, but this is a year and a half slump. We do need something new to happen. Knowing JR they will make walker a roving hitting instructor or scout or something. The sox need a change, and Greg walkers way appears to not be working very well despite how hard he works. Its time.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
Guillen has enough after loss

By Mark Gonzales - 3:47 p.m.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - After watching his underachieving offense go 2-for-14 in a 4-3 loss at Tampa Bay, manager Ozzie Guillen promised some changes to his White Sox roster.

"Just be ready because I expect movement Tuesday," Guillen said. "I expect Kenny to do something Tuesday, and if we don’t do anything Tuesday, there are going to be a lot of lineup changes. That’s all I’m going to say about the offense.

"It can be me. It can be (hitting coach) Greg Walker. It can be the players. It could be anybody. I’m sick and tired to watch this thing for a year and a half. I’m not protecting anybody anymore. (Bleep) it.

"If they can’t get it done, Kenny should find someone to get it done. That’s it."

link

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....en-has-eno.html

I'm guessing a couple things, the least likely being a trade. I'm thinking Greg Walker will be fired and Josh Fields will be called up (and we'll see him get significant playing time at 1st base/DH (with Paulie/Thome/Swisher all getting some time off). We are also going to see more of Brian Anderson, me thinks.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
Direct quote from Guillen broadcasted on WSCR: "If we think we're going to win with this offense we're full of s***."

HAHAHAHAHAH. I love it. I don't care if he's throwing his offense under the bus, it's true. Too bad there's nothing much Williams can do. At the least, he has assured tomorrow's offday will be interesting.

That may be the greatest Ozzie quote yet.