Changes coming by Tuesday?

Big Hurtin

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
Wasn't a walk off. He tied the game up in the 9th.

Yah, then big hurt hit a bomb to win the game in extras of easy eddie. One of my favorite games. Hawk went nuts. I want to say that was the series we got Robbie

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
The Sox are in first place in June, and the biggest reason in the rotation. So to answer your question, unless the trade is a huge steal for the Sox, no.

Took the words right out of my post. Our strength lies in our pitching, but yet some are ready to trade our strongest part for some role player. Doesn't make sense to me. Also that we are ready for a fire sale when we are in first place?!

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:12 PM)
Yah, then big hurt hit a bomb to win the game in extras of easy eddie. One of my favorite games. Hawk went nuts. I want to say that was the series we got Robbie

Yup. He was the one who scored on the Frank bomb.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
I see so many people suggesting that calling up Getz or releasing Uribe is the way to go. Unless our two "main" players get it going, I can't see this team making the playoffs. I don't think KW or Ozzie will stop playing those two guys.

Uribe is not the problem with this team that's for certain. Or at least the only one

If Floyd and a mediumish prospect could get you Brian Roberts, would you do it?

As Roberts' avg takes a dip, this isnt impossible.

Matt Garza netted Delmon Young, and Floyd's value right now is higher than Garza's was. But I'm not certain he's miles beyond him as a pitcher.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 03:17 PM)
Uribe, Crede, and Swisher for Kemp.

Bring up Fields.

Ramirez 2B

Cabrera SS

Quentin LF

Dye RF

Kemp CF

AJP C

Fields 3B

Konerko 1B

Thome DH

Wouldn't mind that.

You could probably get Steve Kemp for that offer.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)

To answer your question, no. Floyd appears to be at least a serviceable starter now, who will be cheap for years to come. You don't trade that alone, let alone that plus a prospect, for a .766 OPS second baseman with PED history, declining numbers and 1.5 seasons left on his contract. Especially when the Sox already have Ramirez, Richar and Getz as possible future 2B's.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)

Matt Garza netted Delmon Young, and Floyd's value right now is higher than Garza's was. But I'm not certain he's miles beyond him as a pitcher.

No. I would rather keep Floyd and look for Alexei to continue to get hot. While it would be nice to have a legit lead-off man with base stealing capabilities, the problem with our current offense is the previous "heart of the order." Cabrera is doing fine at lead-off and Alexei is doing pretty well lately at 2B and at the plate.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
To answer your question, no. Floyd appears to be at least a serviceable starter now, who will be cheap for years to come.

I would agree with your logic if we didnt have a pitching coach known for turning around the careers of guys we acquired cheaply via trade.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
I would agree with your logic if we didnt have a pitching coach known for turning around the careers of guys we acquired cheaply via trade.

Huh? How is that an argument to trade Floyd for a secondbaseman, who Cooper wouldn't be coaching? Or are you saying that after you trade Floyd, you go out and do another trade, for a "cheap" pitcher?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)

thats something you can appreciate, but you should never count on it. As soon as you start to expect Don Cooper to do that every time, you are going to start getting disappointed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
Huh? How is that an argument to trade Floyd for a secondbaseman, who Cooper wouldn't be coaching? Or are you saying that after you trade Floyd, you go out and do another trade, for a "cheap" pitcher?

I took it as PD was taking for granted that Coop can fix pitchers, so why not sell high and buy low since he can fix others.

I don't think any changes will occur, except perhaps line-up changes by Ozzie. KW making a trade or firing a coach will make him look like Ozzie's lackey. Not doing anything will make him look like Ozzie's boss, something he made perfectly clear he was in his comments about Ozzie's comments.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
I don't think any changes will occur, except perhaps line-up changes by Ozzie. KW making a trade or firing a coach will make him look like Ozzie's lackey. Not doing anything will make him look like Ozzie's boss, something he made perfectly clear he was in his comments about Ozzie's comments.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walker stepped down, at the behest of Ozzie himself. Ozzie apparently has that authority, and he may do that. But you are probably right about KW standing pat, for a number of reasons.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)

Good point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)

And isn't that what really counts? I mean why bother improving your sucky lineup when it's clearly more important to your fans that you show your manager who's boss.

Not that I'd expect Kenny to do something now, but Kenny's comments were beyond ridiculous. How about having your manager's back?

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
And isn't that what really counts? I mean why bother improving your sucky lineup when it's clearly more important to your fans that you show your manager who's boss.

Not that I'd expect Kenny to do something now, but Kenny's comments were beyond ridiculous. How about having your manager's back?

I'm sure he would love to improve it if it were possible and practical, however, that isn't always the case.

I really don't think Ozzie meant to throw Kenny under the bus. I think Kenny and Ozzie have had multiple conversations regarding whether Ozzie thinks Kenny needs to go out and get something else for the offense, and Ozzie has consistently said "no, we have the right guys."

This was Ozzie's way of saying, "maybe I was wrong, maybe I do need Kenny to go out and get something for me."

He was trying to motivate his players, not piss Kenny off. Unfortunately, he didn't think before he said it. And we all know Kenny is a fiery guy himself.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 2, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
You wouldnt move Contreras for the right piece? He keeps going like this, he'll have some serious value at deadline.

And the youth movement would remain intact. And the guy leaving is turning 50 soon.

I would too for the right person.