Q-Tips for Quentin

tbaldwin

meh...this organization and fanbase cares way too much about "writing-in" players for the all-star ballot, going back to Vote Podesednik and Punch A.J.

If he makes it, great. If he doesnt, can we just focus on winning some games rather than worrying about getting our newfound star one AB in the mid-season classic?

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
meh...this organization and fanbase cares way too much about "writing-in" players for the all-star ballot, going back to Vote Podesednik and Punch A.J.

If he makes it, great. If he doesnt, can we just focus on winning some games rather than worrying about getting our newfound star one AB in the mid-season classic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketing

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)

Id be pissed if it were any other way. Glad you are not Brooks.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)

You do realize it is the JOB of the marketing department to promote and market players and the team?!? Not the development of talent and scouting, right?

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Read the article. The Sox have nothing to do with this story.

Plus, you make it sound like Williams was behind the Pods and AJ voting ploys. This is what they pay Brooks for. It's his job.

We can take some credit for that as well!

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)

yeah. showing support for players on your favorite team is pretty stupid. what the hell were we thinking.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
He better get in, and if he's not a starter which is likely the case, Francona better pick him.

If the selection process ended today, I don't know how Francona could justify keeping him out of the game. Obviously there is a lot of baseball to play from now to then, but as it stands right now I think Manny Ramirez, Ichiro and Hamilton are leading the votes. I also heard Manny, Ichiro and Vlad (not sure which one it is). Assuming its Vlad, then Hamilton is obviously going to go. Last year, Francona brought eight OFs to the all-star game. That leaves four more spots. I think Quentin is the leading candidate of the remaining players. The guy is second in RBIs and home runs right now. Other player I would bring would be Milton Bradley, Maggs, Upton and maybe Matsui (good avg. bad power numbers). Other guys in consideration would be David Murphy of Texas, Carl Crawford and then the big names like Grady Sizemore. So far, it is a pretty weak class of AL OFs. Hell, even Dye should be given some consideration with this group.

Edited by soxfan3530

Lol, a lot of people on this board seem to think the success of the season will be based on wheter or not Quentin will get to go to the All-Star game. It's not a big deal people. I'm quite sure Francona knows who Quentin is and is fully aware of his numbers this year, I don't think sending him a Q-tip in the mail would all of sudden make him relaize ohh wow, I better not leave this guy off the roster. Neither of the two guys we voted in even got an AB. It's a popularity contest, and yes we can all agree CQ deserves to be there... makeing that the number 1 priority right now is going a bit overboard imo.

I'm glad I'm not Brooks either, our new commericals are downright awful, our promotions this year are absurd.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
Lol, a lot of people on this board seem to think the success of the season will be based on wheter or not Quentin will get to go to the All-Star game. It's not a big deal people.

Who said that? Please provide link. I don't think anyone here said that. Success to us is another Championship. But we support our players in anyway possible. You see we are...oh what's the word...fans.

It's a popularity contest, and yes we can all agree CQ deserves to be there... makeing that the number 1 priority right now is going a bit overboard imo.

I'm glad I'm not Brooks either, our new commericals are downright awful, our promotions this year are absurd.

Who is making it the Number one priority? Marketing? THAT'S THEIR JOB! To promote the players and the team.

It's a popularity contest, and yes we can all agree CQ deserves to be there...makeing that the number 1 priority right now is going a bit overboard imo.

I'm glad your not Brooks, either. You would have been fired from marketing and promotions for telling Jerry that it isn't a priority. :lolhitting

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
Lol, a lot of people on this board seem to think the success of the season will be based on wheter or not Quentin will get to go to the All-Star game. It's not a big deal people. I'm quite sure Francona knows who Quentin is and is fully aware of his numbers this year, I don't think sending him a Q-tip in the mail would all of sudden make him relaize ohh wow, I better not leave this guy off the roster. Neither of the two guys we voted in even got an AB. It's a popularity contest, and yes we can all agree CQ deserves to be there... makeing that the number 1 priority right now is going a bit overboard imo.

Then what is the point of being a fan?

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
Who said that? Please provide link. I don't think anyone here said that. Success to us is another Championship. But we support our players in anyway possible. You see we are...oh what's the word...fans.

There was a thread that was made a stickey for over a month to write him in... I'd love to post the dozen or so other threads about how he's not on the ballot, yada, yada, unfortunately this place doesnt ever have a working search function.

What's the use in being a fan? I love baseball, and I love the Sox. I love to watch the Sox win. Everything else becomes secondary. Would I like to see Quentin in the All-Star game, sure, and I realize the kid can do no wrong in White Sox nation right now. It's not like I am bashing CQ. There are bigger fish to fry. Nobody asks the negative poster's about Contreras being washed up or claiming Thome should be released what is the use of them being a fan. If being a baseball fan is all about supporting marketing for your team, then I bought season tickets for the wrong sport.

I'm not sure anybody would want to be Brooks right now with all the negative comments coming from the media about our marketing campaign.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
It's not like I am bashing CQ. There are bigger fish to fry. Nobody asks the negative poster's about Contreras being washed up or claiming Thome should be released what is the use of them being a fan. If being a baseball fan is all about supporting marketing for your team, then I bought season tickets for the wrong sport. I'm not sure anybody would want to be Brooks right now with all the negative comments coming from the media about our marketing campaign.

I still wish you would answer my question. What else would you have fans doing? What are our other fish that need frying? What are you even talking about?!?

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
There was a thread that was made a stickey for over a month to write him in... I'd love to post the dozen or so other threads about how he's not on the ballot, yada, yada, unfortunately this place doesnt ever have a working search function.

What's the use in being a fan? I love baseball, and I love the Sox. I love to watch the Sox win. Everything else becomes secondary. Would I like to see Quentin in the All-Star game, sure, and I realize the kid can do no wrong in White Sox nation right now. It's not like I am bashing CQ. There are bigger fish to fry. Nobody asks the negative poster's about Contreras being washed up or claiming Thome should be released what is the use of them being a fan. If being a baseball fan is all about supporting marketing for your team, then I bought season tickets for the wrong sport.

I'm not sure anybody would want to be Brooks right now with all the negative comments coming from the media about our marketing campaign.

As fans what fish should we be frying exactly? What resources are we wasting on supporting Quentin's All-Star bid that we could be allocating eleewhere?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
As fans what fish should we be frying exactly? What resources are we wasting on supporting Quentin's All-Star bid that we could be allocating eleewhere?

You could design an engine sixty four miles to a gallon of gasoline.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)

I'm always putting off that cure for cancer or helping Jim Thome with his swing...

Man, I am wasting my time.

Just for everyone in this thread, I just wrote CQ in 25 times. I think he has now cracked 1,000 votes. :headbang

I'm in a discussion I cannot win, so I am done. Look I love CQ, we all love CQ. He is the second coming of what I don't know, but yeah, we'd certainly be f'd without him. I never said we as fans have bigger fish to fry..... marketing does. Like selling a game out, but I won't even go there. I don't mind one bit if there is a shade under 20k in the park on any given night.

Let's all hope he makes it in so Sox fans can sleep at night.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Just for everyone in this thread, I just wrote CQ in 25 times. I think he has now cracked 1,000 votes. :headbang

I'm in a discussion I cannot win, so I am done. Look I love CQ, we all love CQ. He is the second coming of what I don't know, but yeah, we'd certainly be f'd without him. I never said we as fans have bigger fish to fry..... marketing does. Like selling a game out, but I won't even go there. I don't mind one bit if there is a shade under 20k in the park on any given night.

Let's all hope he makes it in so Sox fans can sleep at night.

psst, by working on getting Quentin (and others) into the ASG, the marketing department is working to sell more tickets, since the ASG gives the team more exposure.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:00 PM)

it would mean less posts about uribe sucking, walker firing, crede trading, cooper fixing, etc.

our resource allocation is thin, man. what do you expect from us? :)

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)

Sox were idiots to fire their last marketing company...I agree the new ads suck...